CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 11:12 AM   #11
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I do agree that there should be a note with the links to the WOD videos IF they are not work/family safe.

It can only be described as hypocritical to make message board members notify others of their link's status, yet not to maintain the same pattern on the homepage (which gets many times more hits).

Seems rather simple to me. If a person knows that a link is not "safe", then they can turn their volume down early and appropriately. This allows everyone to be happy--those who like the vulgar songs AND those who'd rather not listen to it, all with the addition of 4 SIMPLE WORDS: "Not work/family safe".

This should not be an argument, IMO.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:08 PM   #12
Roger Harrell

Profile:
I agree with Garrett. If the song has inappropriate language, it should have a Not WFS flag. I often watch these at home with my 2 yr old present. She picks up words on first hearing and I don't want to hear "Daddy why he say @#%!@@#$?".

Old 04-27-2007, 12:11 PM   #13
Jon Gilson

Profile:
Three friends of mine, two married, and a soundtrack that objectifies women?

I'll withhold my opinion until I know theirs. That said, I have a feeling that today's video is going to be a long-running joke here in Boston!

Go Dawn, Tara, and EC! You guys rock! Even with those darn white stains... :angel_no:

Best,

Jon

Old 04-27-2007, 12:34 PM   #14
Daniel Sprenkle

Profile:
It's very sad the so many could respond so aggressively about my request for a choice of music without swearing.

Yes, you can turn it down, but you have to listen to it first to know if the foul language is there. I assume from the reactions that all are in favor of treating the Crossfit site as an "adult only" site and get the kids out of room first. Is that how you want this site to be perceived?

Back to the issue: What is the benefit in playing such filth? How does it enhance the video?Are we that desensitized to swearing that we accept it without question and even get rude when someone asks us to stop?

Old 04-27-2007, 12:40 PM   #15
Dale F. Saran

Profile:
I was going to start this thread but have been busy lately. See my comments today (very recent).

Jon - even if Tara, Dawn , Eva Claire say they don't mind, that doesn't end the issue. They don't speak for all women. They don't speak for me.

I am not offended by the songs. I own the Nickelback album. But if I were an affiliate and sending clients to this site, I would be somewhat embarrassed if a client said something to me about it. Given that there are affiliates out there who have PAID for the CF name and make their living using the CF branding, i think their opinion (and not some of the knuckleheads on the wod comments page) ought to be considered - including yours. I was considering coming to a cert (dropping the $1G plus airfare and hotel) and opening an affiliate alongside my martial arts school. I love CF. But as a business matter, I would have concerns about that.

The issue came up once before and died (the mom and daughter video). Now, it's back. Videos have been pulled in at least one case that someone told me about for exactly the reasons I have articulated. I'll leave the requester and incident anonymous for now.

I am undecided on the issue. But "toughen up" and "turn the volume down" are not convincing responses. They do not address some of the issues I have mentioned. There are other issues, too, like the idea of "universal scalability" - i.e. send grandma and the kids to this site - she can do it! Grandma and the kids don't need to hear Buck Cherry, IMO.

I don't need Lawrence Welk in the background - I don't need anything. Those answers also aren't helpful. For my own part, rarely do I ever use an iPod or music when working out - I'm too busy flailing around to have one stay on me.

A reason why the music is necessary or chosen would be interesting. Coach talked about culling the herd before - but I thought it was going to be based upon people's willingness to conform themselves to reasoned debate on rest days. Moderators have punted people who posted f-bombs on the rest day politics comments, justifiably so, but now these songs? I just don't get it.

I have many other thoughts but this could go on (and will) so I'll leave it at that for now.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:28 PM   #16
Connie Morreale

Profile:
well said, dale. thankyou.
------------------------------

dy try n

Old 04-27-2007, 01:47 PM   #17
John Seiler

Profile:
Count one more vote for Dale and Garrett's viewpoints.

Old 04-27-2007, 02:17 PM   #18
Dave Campbell

Profile:
Nicely said Dale. Thank you.

Old 04-27-2007, 02:31 PM   #19
Nick Cruz

Profile:
The reason that music is necessary is that music sets the mood. That is why there is music in every game, every movie, every tv show and every WOD video. You play sad music when you are trying to convey a feeling of sorrow, when you want the viewer to cry. You play happy clappy music during a cute scene when you want the viewer to sigh and say "Awwww" to the newly married couple. And you play hard hitting, fast beating music when you want the viewers adrenaline to surge during a car chase scene or more appropriately, a WOD demo. Now, if you were to find the music tracks that were instrumental in nature I think that you could convey the same feelings of intensity that you get from the std off-the-shelf tracks. However, I imagine it is far easier to locate a regular track than to source the instrumental version.

While I would not allow my kids to use foul language as long as they are living under my roof), I feel that too many people are too sensitive. We are not a country club or a library, we are a bunch of hard working, running til we puke, kipping til we bleed, thrusting til we collapse maniacs! Not only that, but, truly, are the workout clothes that our CF women wear appropriate for grandma's and small children?

Having said that, I want you to know that I completely understand and respect your opinions and concerns in this matter. I think that if the management were to want to meet you half way then the easiest solution is obviously to add the four words suggested above.

PS, all of my grandparents swear as do my parents. It was not ok for ME to use foul language growing up though. I would get my mouth washed out with soap whenever I used foul language.

Nick

Old 04-27-2007, 02:32 PM   #20
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I think Dale made some very good points, and I would like to add on a bit:

How much sincere love is there in most hip hop or most metal? If it's there, I've missed it.

And people wonder why they're lonely. Somewhere along the line, it seems to me--and this is just my opinion--we've muted or lost the ability to communicate honest emotions to one another, in far too many cases.

Heaven knows I'm not politically correct, but I have to be honest, some songs just seem mean to me.

Closed Thread