CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-23-2004, 05:59 AM   #1
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I cut and pasted a lot of the quotes that showed up in the WOD over the last several years. I collect quotes. I actually did that 3-4 months ago, but it just occurred to me that people might find it interesting, so I'm copying them here. BTW, if you haven't gone over the archive, do it. There are a TON of great links.

"He who cannot rest, cannot work; he who cannot let go, cannot hold on; he who cannot find footing, cannot go forward."

Harry Emerson Fosdick

I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good. That's just the way it is. And if you believe that and live by it, you'd be surprised at how much fun you can have.

Woody Hayes

"The secret to a long life is to stay busy, get plenty of exercise and don't drink too much. Then again, don't drink too little."

Hermann Smith-Johannson, 103-year-old cross-country skier

"Suffering, once accepted, loses its edge, for the terror of it lessens, and what remains is generally far more manageable than we had imagined."

Lesley Hazelton

"There will always be a sacrifice required for results. It is the early bird who gives up sleeping in to get the worm. To get what you want, right on the heels of deciding what that is, you must also decide what you will do in exchange for the results you desire."

James Ball

"The secret of joy in work is contained in one word-excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it."

Pearl Buck

"Nobody ever drowned in sweat."

A U.S. Marine saying

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to ones courage."

- Anais Nin

"There is no comparison between that which is lost by not succeeding and that which is lost by not trying."

- Francis Bacon

If I had a formula for bypassing trouble, I wouldn't pass it
around. Wouldn't be doing anybody a favor. Trouble creates a capacity to handle it. I don't say embrace trouble. That's as bad as treating it as an enemy. But I do say, meet it as a friend, for you'll see a lot of it and had better be on speaking terms with it.

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
(1841-1935, American Judge)

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best, if he wins, knows the thrills of high achievement, and, if he fails, at least fails daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

- John F. Kennedy (or possibly Teddy Roosevelt)

"A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description of a happy state in this world; he has these two has little more to wish for."

- John Locke

You have to discipline yourself, and through this discipline will come some level of achievement, and from this achievement will come your pride."

- Unknown

"Typically the worlds best athletes are minimalists when it comes to their training. They work hard and fast with few exercises. They master the fundamentals and work with them for years. This is the secret that no one wants to hear."

- Greg Glassman

"The biggest mistake people make in life is not trying to make a living at doing what they most enjoy."

- Malcomb S. Forbes

“ Happiness must be cultivated. It is like character. It is not a thing to be safely let alone for a moment, or it will run to weeds”.
-Elizabeth Stuart Phelps

“Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability.”
- John Wooden

"I am always doing things I can't do, that's how I get to do them."
-Pablo Picasso

"Nearly every man who develops an idea works at it up to the point where it looks impossible, and then gets discouraged. That's not the place
to become discouraged."
-Thomas A. Edison

"Pursue truth and people will be true to you."
- Arthur Twining Hadley

"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least."
- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

"Enjoy the successes that you havae, and don't be too hard on yourself when you don't do well. Too many times we beat up on ourselves. Just relax and enjoy it. You'll do better.
- Patty Sheehan

"For when the One Great Scorer comes to mark against your name, He writes - not that you won or lost- but how you played the game.
- Grantland Rice

"Experience tells you what to do, confidence allows you to do it."
- Stan Smith

"I'm a firm believer in the theory that people only do their best at things they truly enjoy. It is difficult to excel at something you don't enjoy."
- Jack Nicklaus

"All mankind is divided into three classes: those that are immovable, those that are movable, and those that move."
Benjamin Franklin
"When you're prepared, you're more confident. When you have a strategy, you're more comfortable."
- Fred Couples

"I learned that the only way that you are going to get anywhere in life is to work hard at it. Whether you're a musician, a writer, an athlete or a businessman, there is no getting around it. If you do, you'll win - if you don't you won't."

Bruce Jenner

"Setting goals for your game is an art. The trick is in setting them at the right level - neither too low nor too high. A good goal should be lofty enough to inspire hard work, yet realistic enough to provide solid hope of attainment."
- Greg Norman

Set your goals high, and don't stop till you get there."
- Bo Jackson

"There is perhaps nothing so bad and so dangerous in life as fear."
- Jawaharlal Nehru

"If you train hard, you'll not only be hard, you'll be hard to beat."
- Hershel Walker

"Champions execute the fundamentals with unconscious competence. That means they've practiced the moves so many times in the past that
they can do them almost perfectly without thinking about it. When you can perform brilliantly without thinking, you can perform at avery high level."

- June Jones, Atlanta Falcons coach

"Enjoying success requires the ability too adapt. You shouldn't outline a program and etch it in stone. We all have different physical limitations and skills that make us unique individuals. Try to make modifications in your program to enhance it;. Only by being open to change will you have a true opportunity to get the most from your talent."
- Nolan Ryan

Perhaps the single most important element in mastering the techniques and tactics of racing is experience. But once you have the fundamentals, acquiring the experience is a matter of time."
- Greg LeMond

"Chance can allow you to accomplish a goal every once in a while, but consistent achievement happens only if you love what you are doing."
- Bart Conner

"If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes."
- John Wooden

"There is a difference between conceit and confidence…Conceit is bragging about yourself. Confidence means you believe you can get the job done."
- Johnny Unitas

"There's no such thing as natural touch. Touch is something you create by hitting millions of golf balls."
- Lee Trevino

"If you make every game a life-and-death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
-Dean Smith

"Everything is practice."
- Pele

"Nothing will ever be attempted, if all possible objections must first be overcome."
- Samuel Johnson

"Great works are performed not by strength but by perseverance."
- Samuel Johnson

"If you ask a fifty-goal scorer what the goalie looks like, he'll say the goalie's just a blur. But if you ask a five-goal scorer, he'll say the goalie looks like a huge glob of pads. A five-goal scorer can tell you the brand name of the pad of every goalie in the league. I'm seeing the net, he's seeing the pad."
- Wayne Gretzky

"If you have confidence, you have patience. Confidence, that is everything."
- Ilie Nastase

"You learn you can do your best even when it's hard, even when you're tired and maybe hurting a little bit. It feels good to show some courage."
- Joe Namath

"Concentration, Confidence, Competitive Urge, Capacity for Enjoyment."
- Arnold Palmer's "4 C's of playing a better golf game"

"I'm careful not to give into theatrics when times are tough, I don't like it when somebody gives into outside pressure and puts on a show for others."
- Tony La Russa

"You go for it. All the stops are out. Caution is to the wind, and you're battling with everything you have. That's the real fun of the game."
- Dan Dierdorf

"Most people achieved their greatest successes one step beyond what looked like their greatest failure."
-Brian Tracy

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
- George Barnard Shaw

."Great occasions do not make heroes or cowards; they simply unveil them to the eyes of men. Silently and perceptibly, as we wake or sleep, we grow strong or weak; and last some crisis shows what we have become."
- Brooke Foss Westcott

“Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small
people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too,
can become great.”
- Mark Twain

“The trouble with many plans is that they are based on the way things are now. To be successful, your personal plan must focus on what you want, not what you have.”
- Nido Qubein

“An invincible determination can accomplish almost anything and in this lies the great distinction between great men and little men.”
-Thomas Fuller

Having once decided to achieve a certain task, achieve it at all costs of tedium and distaste. The gain in self confidence of having accomplished a tiresome labor is immense.
- Thomas A. Bennett

“Often people attempt to live their lives backwards: they try to have more things, or more money, in order to do more of what they want so they will be happier. The way it actually works is the reverse. You must first be who you really are, then, do what you need to do, in order to have what you want.”

- Margaret Young

The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one.

Mark Twain
(1835-1910, American Humorist, Writer)

Trying to be number one and trying to do a task well are two different things.
Alfie Kohn

There isn't a person anywhere that isn't capable of doing more than he thinks he can. - Henry Ford

You don't have to be a fantastic hero to do certain things - to compete. You can be just an ordinary chap, sufficiently motivated to reach challenging goals.

Sir Edmund Hillary
(1919-, New Zealand Mountaineer, Explorer)

Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.
John Quincy Adams

Attempt easy tasks as if they were difficult, and difficult as if they were easy; in the one case that confidence may not fall asleep, in the other that it may not be dismayed.
Baltasar Gracian

"Courage overrides self-doubt, but does not end it." - Mason Cooley

If you want happiness for an hour -- take a nap. If you want happiness for a day -- go fishing. If you want happiness for a month -- get married. If you want happiness for a year -- inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime -- help someone else.

Chinese Proverb

Someday is not a day of the week.
Source Unknown

"Action may not always bring happiness; but there is no happiness without action."
-Benjamin Disraeli

"The question is not whether we will die, but how we will live."

Joan Borysenko

Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.

Omar Bradley

Every winner has scars.

Herbert N. Casson
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
George Patton

Reading, after a certain age, diverts the mind too much from its creative pursuits. Any man who read too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts
Albert Einstein

"The vision of a champion is someone who is bent over, drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion when no one else is watching."
-Anson Dorrance
Old 04-23-2004, 09:48 AM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Wow. Good stuff Barry.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:49 PM   #3
Michael Rutherford

Profile:
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best, if he wins, knows the thrills of high achievement, and, if he fails, at least fails daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

- John F. Kennedy (or possibly Teddy Roosevelt)

It was Teddy and also happens to be one of my favorite quotes of all time!

LIVE STRONG!

RUTMAN
Old 04-23-2004, 09:17 PM   #4
John McCracken

Profile:
Barry,

Thanks for the many inspirational quotes. Stephen Seiler has a nice collection of quotes that I think you would appreciate in addition to his excellent exercise phyisiology articles. In addition, on the BFS website, you can register for an inspirational quote to be e-mailed to you daily. What follows is several that I have collected from their e-mails over the last several months.

It takes less time to do things right than to explain why you did it wrong.
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Success is nothing more than a few simple disciplines, practiced every day; while failure is simply a few errors in judgment, repeated every day. It is the accumulative weight of our disciplines and our judgments that leads us to either fortune or failure.
Jim Rohn

Confidence doesn't come out of nowhere. It's a result of something... Hours and days and weeks and years Of constant work and dedication.
Roger Staubach

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it.
George C. Scott

What I perceive... Determines what I receive... Which determines how I achieve.
John Maxwell

Make the choice adventurous stranger, Strike the bell and bide the danger Or wonder 'till it drives you mad What would have happened if you had.
C.S. Lewis

Working hard becomes a habit, a serious kind of fun. You get self-satisfaction from pushing yourself to the limit, Knowing that all the effort is going to pay off.
Mary Lou Retton, Olympic gymnastics Champion

The best advice I ever came across on the subject of concentration is: Wherever you are, be there. When you work, work. When you play, play. Don't mix the two.
Jim Rohn

It's the constant and determined effort that breaks down All resistance and sweeps away all obstacles.
Claude M. Bristol

Every great human achievement is preceded By extended periods of dedicated, concentrated effort.
Brian Tracy

Underconfidence breeds underachievement. We often fail to fully exploit our gifts because We don't realize we have them.
Lou Holtz

Good timber does not grow with ease. The stronger the wind, the stronger the trees.
Unknown

A free lunch is only found in mousetraps.
John Capozzi

Most of the important things in the world Have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying When there seemed to be no hope at all.
Dale Carnegie, author

When you doubt your chances for success, It’s tempting to quit at the first setback. Your misstep becomes an affirmation Of your unworthiness.
Lou Holtz

If a man empties his purse into his head, No one can take it away from him. An investment of knowledge Always pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin

Enjoy yourself. These are the 'good old days' You're going to miss in the years ahead.
Anon

An authentic leader acts in ways which serve to elevate those around him.
Sean M. Georges, author

The victory of success is half won when one gains the habit of setting goals and achieving them. Even the most tedious chore will become endurable as you parade through each day convinced that every task, no matter how menial or boring, brings you closer to fulfilling your dreams.
Og Mandino, Inspirational Author

Remember what the great baseball pitcher Satchel Paige once said: 'Don't look back, something may be gaining on you.' Always look ahead with wonder, hope, and confidence.
Lou Holtz

It's easier to act your way into a new way of thinking Than to think your way into a new way of acting.
Millard Fuller, founder of Habitat for Humanity

Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare
Japanese Proverb

If you want your life to be a magnificent story, Then begin by realizing that you are the author And everyday you have the opportunity to write a new page
Mark Houlahan

The purpose of life is a life of purpose.
Robert Bryne

Rain puts a hole in stone because of its constancy, Not its force. I just kept knocking on doors Until the right one opened.
H. Joseph Gerber, inventor

We all start out in life with one thing in common; We all have the same amount of time. It's just a matter of what we do with it.
Harvey B. Mackay, Entrepreneur and Author

Keep these concepts in mind: You've failed many times, although you don't remember. You fell down the first time you tried to walk. You almost drowned the first time you tried to swim. .... Don't worry about failure. My suggestion to each of you: Worry about the chances you miss when you don't even try.
Sherman Finesilver, Chief Judge, US District Court

Happy is harder than money. Anyone who thinks money will make them happy, Doesn't have money.
David Geffen

We never sit anything out. We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over And let the Beautiful Stuff out. Ray Bradbury

Visionary is a self-fulfilling prophet. Don't predict the future. Create it.
Leland Kaiser

Nurture your thoughts with great thoughts, To believe in the heroic, makes heroes.
Disraeli (1804-1881)

Enthusiasm is the greatest asset in the world. It beats money, power and influence.
Henry Chester

Without legends, dreams die. When dreams die, there is no opportunity for greatness.
Old Addage

Neither you nor the world knows what you can do Until you have tried.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The real dividing line is passion. As long as you believe That what you're doing is MEANINGFUL, You can cut through fear and exhaustion And take the next step.
Arlene Blum

On the day of victory, no one is tired.
Old Arab proverb

The right to speak must be earned by having something to say.
Winston Churchill

An angry person opens his mouth and shuts his eyes.
Cato

Keep cool; anger is not an argument.
Daniel Webster

Speak when you are angry And you will make the best speech you will ever regret.
Ambrose Bierce

Success is not the result of making money, Making money is the result of success.
James A. Ray

Success is not to be pursued; It is to be attracted by the person you become.
Jim Rohn

The glory of human nature lies in our seeming capacity To exercise conscious control of our own destiny.
Winston Churchill

Everything starts with yourself - With you making up your mind About what you're going to do with your life.
Tony Dorsett, Hall of Fame Football player

A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror.
Ken Keyes Jr., author

You are today where your thoughts have brought you; You will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you.
James Lane Allen

Success isn't something you chase. It's something you have to put forth the effort for constantly. Then maybe it'll come when you least expect it. Most people don't understand that.
Michael Jordan

Change your mind and you can change your life. Embrace change. True success can be defined by Your ability to adapt to changing circumstances. Be the change you want to see in the world.
Gandhi

If you focus on results, you will never change. If you focus on change, you will get results.
Jack Dixon

Challenges make you discover things about yourself That you never really knew.
Cicely Tyson

Decide what you want, Decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities And go to work.
H. L. Hunt

When you have to make a choice and don't make it, That is in itself a choice.
William James

Excellence is in the details. Give attention to the details in everything you do And excellence will come. No detail is too small.
George Allen

At a certain level, success is determined by mental factors, by dedication and motivation, and these things can't be faked. You either really care, or you don’t. Your either happy or your not.
Arnold Schwartznegger

Countless, unseen details are often The only difference between mediocre And magnificent. Success is a product of unremitting Attention to detail.
Disraeli

Picture yourself vividly as winning And that alone will contribute immeasurably To your success.
Maxwell Maltz

The best way to make your dreams come true Is to wake up.
J. M. Power

Some men see things as they are and ask why; I dream things that never were and ask why not.
Robert F. Kennedy

Don't ever stop trying to get to where You always wanted to be. The moment you stop trying, Is the moment that your dream Stops coming true.
Anon

If one advances confidently in the direction Of their dreams, And endeavors to lead a life which They have imagined, They will meet with a success Unexpected in common hours.
Thoreau

Forewarned, forearmed; to be prepared is half the victory.
Cervantes

If you are prepared, then you will be confident And you will do the job. Emotion gets in the way of performance.
Tom Landry

Love is life...and if you miss love, you miss life.
Leo Buscaglia

Some people will see the light Only when they feel the heat.
Lou Holtz

What I perceive determines what I receive... which determines how I achieve.
John Maxwell

Don't ask for things to get better. Ask that YOU get better.
- Jim Rohn

Make the choice, adventurous stranger, Strike the bell and bide the danger; Or wonder 'till it drives you mad what would have happened if you had.
C.S. Lewis

We give up leisure in order that we may have leisure, Just as we go to war in order that we may have peace.
Aristotle

Every great human achievement is preceded By extended periods of dedicated, concentrated effort.
Brian Tracy

Life is no brief candle to me. It is a sort of splendid torch Which I have got a hold of for the moment, And I want to make it burn as brightly as possible Before handing it on to future generations.
George Bernard Shaw

History has demonstrated that the most notable winners Usually encountered heartbreaking obstacles before they Triumphed. They won because they refused to become discouraged by their defeats.
B. C. Forbes

Act so as to elicit the best in others And thereby in thyself.
Felix Adler

Failure should be our teacher, not our undertaker. Failure is delay, not defeat. It is a temporary detour, not a dead end. Failure is something we can avoid only by saying nothing, Doing nothing, and being nothing.
Denis Waitley

All things are possible until They are proved impossible -- and Even the impossible may only be so as of now.
Pearl S. Buck

You don't manage people; you manage things. You lead people.
Admiral Grace Hooper

No one lives long enough to learn everything They need to learn starting from scratch. To be successful, We absolutely, positively have to find people Who have already paid the price to learn the things That we need to learn to achieve our goals.
Brian Tracy

The young do not know enough to be prudent, And therefore they attempt the impossible - And achieve it, generation after generation.
Pearl S. Buck

People in their handlings of affairs often fail When they are about to succeed. If one remains as careful at the end As he was at the beginning, There will be no failure.
Lao-Tzu

You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow By evading it today.
Abraham Lincoln

You see, in life, lots of people know what to do, But few people actually do what they know. Knowing is not enough! You must take action.
Anthony Robbins

Trust men and they will be true to you; Treat them greatly and they will show themselves great.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

When we long for life without difficulties, Remind us that oaks grow strong in contrary winds And diamonds are made under pressure.
Peter Marshall

Preparation dispels pressure because it builds confidence.
Coach Lou Holtz

If you have tried to do something and failed, You are vastly better off than if you tried to do nothing And succeeded.
Anon

Hard work often leads to success. No work seldom does.
Harvey Mackay

Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself.
Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant

The reason most people never reach their goals Is that they don't define them, learn about them, Or even seriously consider them as believable or achievable. Winners can tell you where they are going, What they plan to do along the way, And who will be sharing the adventure with them.
Denis Waitley

Be like a postage stamp. Stick to it until you get there.
Harvey Mackay

Success is the progressive realization Of predetermined, worthwhile goals.
Paul Meyer

An average person with average talents and ambition And average education, can outstrip the most brilliant genius In our society, if that person has clear focused goals.
Brian Tracy

A dream is just a dream. A goal is a dream with a plan and a deadline.
Harvey Mackay

I must tell you something. You don't have a future. The future isn't something breathing and alive, Just waiting for you to encounter it. You create your future; It doesn't exist until you decide what it should be. Bright or bleak, vibrant or mundane, Your life is what you make of it.
Coach Lou Holtz
Old 04-24-2004, 08:10 AM   #5
Barry Cooper

Profile:
John,

Thanks!! I'll print that out, and check out those sites.
Old 04-24-2004, 01:42 PM   #6
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Great stuff Barry and John.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:45 AM   #7
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Here's some more . . .

Attitude - what happens to a man is less significant than what happens within him.

Failures are more commonly caused by having made no choice than by wrong decisions.

Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.

If you are content with the best you have done, you will never do the best you can do.

Beware of those who invite you to be less than you are. Stay close to those who dare you to be more than you ever imagined.

Some pursue happiness – others create it.

If you find a path without any obstacles, it probably doesn’t lead anywhere.

You live only once, but if you live right, once is enough.

Finding yourself really means creating yourself.

When someone says, “Life is hard,” ask them, “compared to what?”

People do not cease to play because they grow old: They grow old because they cease to play. – George Bernard Shaw

It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do what you can. – Sydney Smith

Progress always involves risk; you can’t steal second base and keep your foot on first. – Frederick Wilcox

The thing always happens that you really believe in; and the belief in a thing makes it happen. – Frank Lloyd Wright

The trick is not to rid your stomach of butterflies, but to make them fly in formation. – Dr. Rob Gilbert

Don’t go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first. – Mark Twain

I finally figured out the only reason to be alive is to enjoy it. – Rita Mae Brown

Live your life as an exclamation, not an explanation – Jackson Brown, Jr.

The person who removes a mountain begins by carrying away small stones – Chinese proverb

It’s nothing against you to fall down flat. But to lie there – that’s disgrace. – Edmund Vance Cook

If your happiness is dependant on what somebody else does, then you have a problem. – Richard Bach

A great pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot do. – Walter Gagehot

A person is about is happy as he makes up his mind to be. – Abraham Lincoln

And the trouble is, if you don’t risk anything, you risk even more. – Erica Jong

We don’t see things as they are; we see them as we are – Anais Nin

Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure. – Earl Wilson

Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and help them to become what they are capable of being. – Johann Wolfgang Goethe

Think health and talk health on all suitable occasions remembering that under the law of suggestion health may be made contagious as well as disease. – Thomson Jay Hudson

The quality of a person’s life is in direct proportion to one’s commitment to excellence, regardless of the chosen field of endeavor. – Vincent T Lombardi

The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven. – John Milton

Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire. – Reggie Leach

Our strength is often composed of the weakness we’re damned if we’re going to show. – Mignon McLaughlin

Not everything that is faced can be changed. But nothing can be changed until it is faced. – James Baldwin

and, of course, my personal favorite:

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're probably right. - Henry Ford

Enjoy,

Ryan
Old 04-27-2004, 11:34 AM   #8
Mike Minium

Profile:
What about my favorite CrossFit-posted quote, from the 9/26/2003 WOD (http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/000178.html)?

“It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.”

-Charles Darwin (1809-1882, British Naturalist)

Mike
Old 07-17-2004, 06:03 AM   #9
John McCracken

Profile:
I studied the lives of great men and famous women; And I found that the men and women who got to the top Were those who did the jobs they had in hand, With everything they had of energy, enthusiasm, and hard work.
Harry S. Truman

Ability is what you're capable of doing... Motivation determines what you do... Attitude determines how well you do it.
Lou Holtz

Don't say, 'If I could, I would.' Say, 'If I can, I will'
Jim Rohn

Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody is watching.
Mark Twain

I have learned from speaking to many cancer survivor groups That the watch on your hand no longer says, 'tick, tick, tick.' It now says 'precious, precious, precious.' When you understand that, Every chapter in your life that you write Becomes fascinating.
Steve Sobel

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.
Winston Churchill

The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but reveal to them their own.
Benjamin Disraeli

Time isn't a commodity, Something you pass around like cake. Time is the substance of life. When anyone asks you to give your time, They're really asking for a chunk of your life.
Antoinette Bosco

Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
Groucho Marx, Entertainer

Only those who will risk going too far Can possibly find out how far one can go.
T.S. Eliot

Every change in human attitude must come Through internal understanding and acceptance. Man is the only known creature who can Reshape and remold himself by altering his attitude.
John Maxwell

People do not lack strength; they lack will.
Victor Hugo

Start by doing what's necessary, Then what's possible, And suddenly You are doing the impossible.
St. Francis of Assisi (1181-1226)

Time is infinitely more precious than money, And there is nothing common between them. You can't accumulate time; you cannot borrow time; You can never tell how much time you have left In the Bank of Life. Time is life.
Israel Davidson

The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot.
Michael Altshuler

Desire! That's the one secret of every man's career. Not education. Not being born with hidden talents. Desire!
Bobby Unser

Two things rob people of their peace of mind: work unfinished, and work not yet begun.
Unknown

In the long run, you hit only what you aim at. Therefore, though you should fail immediately, You had better aim at something high.
Henry David Thoreau

The whole secret of the study of nature Lies in learning how to use one's eyes.
George Sand

Greatness comes with recognizing that your potential Is limited only by how you choose, how you use your freedom, How resolute you are, how persistent you are --In short, by your attitude.
Peter Koestenbaum, Philosopher

I've found that luck is quite predictable. If you want more luck, take more chances. Be more active. Show up more often.
Brian Tracy

Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great Make you feel that you, too, can become great.
Mark Twain

The method of the enterprising is to plan with audacity And execute with vigor.
Christian Bovee

Winners concentrate on winning; Losers concentrate on getting by.
John Maxwell

Most people never run far enough on their first wind, To find out if they've got a second. Give your dreams all you've got, And you'll be amazed at the energy that comes out of you.
William James

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; The world owes you nothing; it was here first.
Mark Twain

Perhaps the straight and narrow path Would be wider if more people used it.
Unknown

Failure is an opinion. It is either an educational tool For starting over or an excuse breeding tool For saying it's over.
Doug Firebaugh
Old 07-17-2004, 11:16 AM   #10
Barry Cooper

Profile:
John, thanks for those quotes. I liked the Bobby Unser quote on desire. I've concluded that is 90% of it. The problem with most people--and historically that has been true of me as well--is they don't know what they want, deep down in their bones, or they don't have the courage to express their desire, and fight for what they want.

On a lighter note, I ran across a good one the other day from Yogi Berra (quote approximate):

In theory, theory and practice are the same; in practice they're different.

Hell, I'll add a few more people may not have seen:

Make sure you go to other peoples funerals, or they won't come to yours.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

It gets late early over there.

I thought that record would stand until it was broken.

We made too many wrong mistakes.

Nobody goes to Coney Island any more. It's too crowded.

Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical.

And, of course

It ain't over 'til it's over.