CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:59 AM   #141
Keith Martin

Profile:
Re: Future of Crossfit gyms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
There are a bunch of threads on this, but to quote myself (which can only be a good thing) in regards to getting a Level 1 for any reason other than owning/coaching at an affiliate:

"Download the manual, read it, and then go do Fran. There. I just saved you $1000."

I guess my first question to anyone who argued with that would be what useful information do you think you are going to learn at a Level 1 cert that you couldn't learn on your own for free? You don't even learn how to clean a barbell there. Just sayin'. Although lord knows that med ball cleans are super fun and awesome, and I see elite athletes doing them all the time.
I pondered the same thing myself...then I decided to learn and coach. If I had no desire to train CF, I would do what you said.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:38 PM   #142
Adam Acosta

Profile:

CrossFit Havoc here in Lawton, OK has an entirely open gym. It's open 8 hours a day (but closed on Sundays) and you can come in whenever you want with no formal classes, though there's always a trainer to watch you and time you if you need it. I've heard a lot of people will go in groups and do the workouts competition-style anyway even though they don't have to. My wife pays $90 a month for unlimited access.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #143
Steve Loeding

Profile:

The solution is simple. If you don't like the fact that most CrossFit gyms run classes and don't have open gyms, then don't go. If a CrossFit gym doesn't offer programming that you want and need, don't go.

But don't rip on those that don't cater to your every want and need. Go somewhere else. Obviously there are plenty of people willing to pay good amounts of money to attend classes at a set time. Maybe it's for the training, maybe the community aspect, who knows. But it seems to work pretty well.

If an individual thinks that they have a better idea and can do it better than it's being done, then open your own place and run it how you want to.