CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 03-02-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
Bill Seibt

Profile:
Deadlift critique

I am new to crossfit and started watching videos on proper technique of the different lifts. With my old, bad form I can deadlift 280lbs, but when I try to employ good form, this goes way down. I would appreciate some guidance on fixing my form please.
Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kr4zYTUeuc
Old 03-02-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
Re: Deadlift critique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seibt View Post
I am new to crossfit and started watching videos on proper technique of the different lifts. With my old, bad form I can deadlift 280lbs, but when I try to employ good form, this goes way down. I would appreciate some guidance on fixing my form please.
Thanks.

You will need to post a video with more than 135 pounds on the bar.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks.

Just throwing this out there, but isn't this kind of obvious? The reason at heavy 1RM type weight everyone (even those with great form) start to break toward back rounding... is because your body is trying to offload the stress to the back, your back is a much larger muscle. If you haven't been using the right muscles previously, of course you are going to have to drop the weight and build up the strength in those muscles. Just think of it as a new lift, start over with your numbers, and focus on getting it right?

Also, yea, give us a 1RM/3RM level effort in video.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
Bill Seibt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew G. Greenberg View Post
You will need to post a video with more than 135 pounds on the bar.

Here is one with some more weight. Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CakiQediuYo
Old 03-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
Bill Seibt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
Just throwing this out there, but isn't this kind of obvious? The reason at heavy 1RM type weight everyone (even those with great form) start to break toward back rounding... is because your body is trying to offload the stress to the back, your back is a much larger muscle. If you haven't been using the right muscles previously, of course you are going to have to drop the weight and build up the strength in those muscles. Just think of it as a new lift, start over with your numbers, and focus on getting it right?

Also, yea, give us a 1RM/3RM level effort in video.
I'll get the 1RM/3RM and post them. Thanks for the feed back!
Old 03-02-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Even at 230 you can see the issue pretty clearly. Look right at the beginning of the pull, your shoulders remain stationary and your butt goes up first, putting your back in almost a horizontal line, then you lever at the hips/back to get standing up. Same deal on the way back down. Instead of that nice pull at 130 where you lifted straight up and over your knees, here you straighten your legs long before you are past the knee, having your legs locked out means you're avoiding those muscles in getting upright.
Get your butt under you a bit more to start, and just stand it up instead of pushing out, back and up.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
Bill Seibt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
Even at 230 you can see the issue pretty clearly. Look right at the beginning of the pull, your shoulders remain stationary and your butt goes up first, putting your back in almost a horizontal line, then you lever at the hips/back to get standing up. Same deal on the way back down. Instead of that nice pull at 130 where you lifted straight up and over your knees, here you straighten your legs long before you are past the knee, having your legs locked out means you're avoiding those muscles in getting upright.
Get your butt under you a bit more to start, and just stand it up instead of pushing out, back and up.
I should drop some weight until my form comes in line and start from there?
Old 03-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #8
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Yea, I know it sucks, but it does get better.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #9
Bill Seibt

Profile:

Thanks for everyones input, it will give me plenty to work on!
Old 03-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #10
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:

Quote:
I should drop some weight until my form comes in line and start from there?
You might not even have to drop the weight to make this change. Now that you are aware of it, try to lift correctly with 225 or so and see if you can't get it immediately.