CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 10-02-2004, 12:01 PM   #1
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
During today's WOD, one of the personal trainers at Gold's stopped me to explain that overhead lunges were very dangerous. I thanked her, explained that I was doing it for a reason, and moved on as she explained again to my back what a risk I was taking.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:48 AM   #2
James R. Climer

Profile:
Those thirty pounders overhead walking lunges really put a hurtin on my backside, literally. I have always had a prominent set of glutes and at the end of today's WOD the left side was cramping like a charley horse! Never experienced that before.
I workout at home and the Golden Retriever in the backyard just thinks I'm nuts when I walk back there and don't throw the ball for him to fetch, but he has no comment; I guess that makes him a better personnel trainer?
Old 10-03-2004, 07:00 AM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Has anyone ever figured out a polite, but definitive, way to get people like this out of your face?

Blessedly, I don't have to deal with this anymore at the Y where I work out regularly . . . the few trainers there are completely out of their league in training an already-fit population, and they know it . . . so they just stay out the way. The rest of the membership regards me fondly as a nut and tolerates (sometimes even encourages) me.

But at other gyms, or traveling, I face this all the time. I've generally just adopted a mantra of consistently repeating "Thank you very much, I appreciate your concern" over and over again until they give up and back off.

I've thought of other (significantly more offensive) things to say, but that's not particulalry my style. Every now and then someone shows enough flexibility of mind that I point him/her to CrossFit.com, but that's pretty rare.

Has anyone figured out something (polite) to say that works?

Dave
Old 10-03-2004, 08:38 AM   #4
Beth Moscov

Profile:
HI,

I read your post yesterday and couldn't respond cause it ****ed me off so much (not at you of course). I can't tell you how many times I have gone to a gym where they require me to take a lesson with a personal trainer (for their insurance purposes) and the trainer ALWAYS takes me to the machines and puts me on a high reps low weight plan of "do the circuit and then go home". This is even when I ask to use free weights (pre-crossfit). I remember one guy once who told me to go up in weight when I could easily do 15 reps on a machine. He then put a weight on and I did 25 and said, "shouldn't we go up now so I can see what a good weight is for me?" He replied, "just stay here a few weeks as you get used to this." Worse, when I have asked questions about breathing, form, or other exercise related questions they don't have answers. Don't even ask about nutrition.

I was in top shape of my life as a competative gymnast at age 11 and then as a dance in my teens/early adulthood. When I switched to gyms, my health decreased, my weight gained, and my back started hurting. Now in Crossfit since the end of July, I am approaching the health I had 20 years ago. Lucky for those trainers that I don't workout at their gyms. I would be highly likely to throw something very heavy at them if they tried to tell me something "for my own good" after all these years.

I went to the Ben Lomond Highland Games yesterday and am thinking of competing in the women's division in a year. It just looked like so much fun. I wonder what the trainer at Gold's would think of all those exercises! Not to mention the trainer who looked at some O lift photos I was looking at and told me they were doing it with bad form (the photos were of Olympic/world level competitors!)

End of rant. Thanks for listening!
Old 10-03-2004, 10:34 AM   #5
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
Beth, I think you probably have more of that sort of problem than I do. As a male, 5'10, 280+ I don't hear much of the "you shouldn't be lifting that much weight" nonsense.

And I knew what her concerns were: the overhead lunge puts a lot of focus on the lower back. I could feel it. I just didn't have the breath to explain to her that that was part of the point.

David, I feel your pain. That was the part that bothered me - here she was interrupting a workout that I was doing for time, to tell me something that I already knew. Her bug was my feature. My polite solution was to say "Thanks, but I'm doing it on purpose" and move on.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:53 PM   #6
Theron Mathis

Profile:
David,

We must go to the same Y.

I got some crazy looks on that WOD.

Old 10-03-2004, 09:12 PM   #7
Scott Kustes

Profile:
I get crazy looks quite often too....overhead squats, cleans, etc. The people in my classes are starting to realize that I'm with the rest of you freaks. Like the thruster, row, pullup workout....2 different classmates came over and tried to talk to me and I couldn't stop. Just kept on rolling to get time. One of them just looked at me like "You, my friend, are a weirdo!" Luckily, no one has warned me about the "dangers" of certain lifts.

I find the looks to be more of a good thing. It just lets me know that I'm working harder than anyone in there.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:54 PM   #8
Court Wing

Profile:
Yes, I get this nonsense all the time at the college gym...buncha young guys sneering at my sweating, huufing a@% while they do their hundredth chest fly in a spotless jerzee and never break a sweat. I'm skinny to begin with and just got measured for costuming in an upcoming show and yes, CF has hacked all the fat off my bones, so now I'm even leaner...
Old 10-04-2004, 04:52 AM   #9
Justin Jacobsen

Profile:

I think this is where the CF T-shirt would come in particularly handy. One of you should come up with a slogan along the lines of "If I am doing something strange, sweating profusely, and don't have the breath to reply to your question........ then leave me alone, thank you very much".
Old 10-04-2004, 04:57 AM   #10
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Beth, I feel your pain. I've had a home gym for years and it's the best investment I've made!