CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 03-30-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
Nathan Doud

Profile:
Crossfit and Fybromyalgia

Anybody have any or know anybody that has CrossFitted with Fibromyalgia...if so what was the expierence, was it doable, beneficial??

thanks
Old 03-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
Mike Mallory

Profile:
Re: Crossfit and Fybromyalgia

Fibromyalgia people need movement initially, but not high stress stuff, because their bodies are already stressed to the max......IMO, better to do tai-chi or something that gets them pumping without adding any stress to their bodies

It's a VERY multifaceted condition that needs a similar approach.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
Nathan Doud

Profile:

thanks
Old 03-31-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

IMO, it's doable, but, the diet needs to be strict paleo, also eliminating nightshades. More rest and recovery may be necessary, and WODs must be scaled according to a day's particular pain level. It's very important to do myofacial release work, and mobility work. Fibromyalgia is considered an auto-immune disease. If most crossfitters need 8-9 hours of sleep, people with fibro will need more. If not more hours, more whole days off. It's best if there is a good chiropractor, massage therapist, and other professional to provide additional support for recovery. Fish oil is huge!
Old 04-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
Mara Rozitis

Profile:

Hi. I have had Fibromyalgia since a car accident in 1998. The ONLY thing that has ever done much in the relief department was changing my diet and doing regular exercise. I have been on pain meds, anti-inflammatories, muscle relaxants, anti-depressants...and none of them helped me like switching to a Zone diet. It pretty much cured my symptoms. Prior to that I could never figure out any sort of pattern with my bad days. Then I finally hit on insulin/glucagon control and BINGO! It changed my life. Fast forward to this year, and making more of my choices from Paleo foods-no grains at all, and 4-5 CrossFit WODs per week, and I have never felt better. I have told anyone who asks what works for me, but very few ever give it a shot. I'm not sure my physician even believes me.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
Lori Gamoff

Profile:

I have both Fibro & Myofascial from a car accident which almost took my life three years ago. I was turning left and the car ran the light, going 100Km/h and no air bags I was cut out of my car. I have two tilted vertibres in my back and crazy back pain. I lost the feeling in half of my body for a period of time. I found that the only thing which helps me manage my pain is crossfit & rowing. I have been lifting weights for over 10 years and have been doing crossfit for aprox 3 months now and am entering in my first compeition soon. Crossfit has deff changed my life for the better.