CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-04-2008, 08:32 AM   #61
Andrew James

Profile:
Re: What exercises aren't part of crossfit programming, but you think should be?

I don't follow the WODs anymore, and haven't for a while, but my current training is based around squats, deadlifts, bench, rows, and sprints.

When I did the WOD though, the two most obvious omissions were:

1. Short sprints (200m, 100m, 60m, 40m, shuttle runs)

2. Barbell rows. Barbell rows are an absolutely fundamental exercise for back strength, and fit well into the "functional movements only" paradigm of crossfit. I've never understood their exclusion.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #62
Chris Walls

Profile:
Re: What exercises aren't part of crossfit programming, but you think should be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew James View Post
2. Barbell rows. Barbell rows are an absolutely fundamental exercise for back strength, and fit well into the "functional movements only" paradigm of crossfit. I've never understood their exclusion.
This has been discussed at length before. It amounts to the fact that we don't really need it when you look at all the other stuff we do for out backs, coupled with the fact that it promotes early arm bending for cleans making existing form issues there worse, or promoting bad habits. Feel free to do them if you want tho, no one is stopping you.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:40 PM   #63
David Michelson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Flamm View Post
I would like to see weighted ring and bar dips thrown into the programming, as well as short sprints (100m or less). The lack of top-speed sprints, in particular, has me baffled..
For the record: We did have short sprints programmed at least once a while back, a year, maybe? 10x100 yard full out sprints, with full recovery in between. But it's only been once or twice.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:15 PM   #64
Stephen Flamm

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Michelson View Post
For the record: We did have short sprints programmed at least once a while back, a year, maybe? 10x100 yard full out sprints, with full recovery in between. But it's only been once or twice.
Would love to see a date for this if you can find it. I've been at this since August '07, following main site the whole time. I would love to read the comments section of this WOD.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:08 PM   #65
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Flamm View Post
Would love to see a date for this if you can find it. I've been at this since August '07, following main site the whole time. I would love to read the comments section of this WOD.
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/002734.html
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/000613.html
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/000995.html

wfs

Also want to add that I think it'd be neat to have a 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 weighted muscle-up day.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:20 PM   #66
Stephen Flamm

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/002734.html
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/000613.html
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/000995.html

wfs

Also want to add that I think it'd be neat to have a 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 weighted muscle-up day.
Thanks Shane... and I agree with the weighted MU day. Played with that a bit myself...
Old 12-05-2008, 08:30 AM   #67
Kevin Moore

Profile:

I would also like to add that lunges could be used more. Lunges get me sucking air more then any other exercise. Great tool to add in your GPP box.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:37 AM   #68
Christian Gotcher

Profile:

I second the lunges. It was good to see them in the workout just a few days ago, but they're not very common. I tried 400m walking lunges on Monday (haven't seen that on the main page in a while)... and could barely walk for the rest of the week.
M/22/155|Murph-28:19|Helen-9:39|Annie- 5:12|CFT-700|1.5 Mile-8:35|Strict PU-24|Fran-5:24 log
Old 12-05-2008, 09:05 AM   #69
Jason Lin

Profile:

Turkish Get ups with KB or Barbell.

Singles or AMRAP
Old 12-05-2008, 09:23 AM   #70
Chris Walls

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lin View Post
Turkish Get ups with KB or Barbell.

Singles or AMRAP
TGU has been covered as well why it doesn't fit into metcons. It is a great movement to do, but for metcons we look for large loads, long ROM, quickly. TGU doesn't have that large a load, has a long ROM but can't be done quickly. (at least not safely and with heavy loads...)

But they are good. We throw them into our warm-ups every and now and then. Not done for time or anything.