CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-25-2010, 07:09 AM   #11
Jae Lee

Profile:
Re: Why aren't beans and peas paleo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Privitera View Post
Jeremy, you are correct.

A varied diet is key.
I think everyone should put this up in their kitchen. In my opinion, a lot of people are complicating diets that are meant to serve as a template. Eat what works for you- Grok and his buddies did it by trial and error.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #12
Ian Nigh

Profile:

The reason legumes are not included in primal or paleo diets, it that these diets are pre-agricultural, and legumes are an agricultural product.
Legumes are rare and seasonal in the wild, and access to them would therefore be limited during the paleolithic. They are also hard to digest, which is why agricultural societies have developed ways to process them in order to allow them to be more digestible. Societies that survive largely off beans (such as the meso-american Mayans or Aztecs) always cook beans with bitter herbs such as epazote, and eat them with maize that has been cooked with lime (which makes the proteins in the maize digestible and completes the amino-acid profile of the meal). There are very good reasons for this, and they have to do with survival. Believe me, most people in these cultures would prefer to eat meat and veggies instead!

"beans, beans, the musical fruit
the more you eat, the more you toot!"
Old 04-25-2010, 07:50 PM   #13
Matt Coblentz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
You've stumbled into (IMO) one of the key arguments against the Paleo diet. Many Paleo proponents start from the idea of eating what cavemen ate, but then add or subtract foods based on their ideas about what is (or isn't) healthy. The avoidance of starchy tubers is a prime example: there's lots of evidence that hunter gatherers ate plenty of tubers, but they are often rejected for their high GI. An even more extreme example is the avoidance of egg yolks: there is *no* chance that Grok threw half his eggs away.

On legumes specifically, the argument is that they are not Paleo because they are not edible in their raw state, but require additional processing. However, many legumes actually *are* edible raw, and Paleo man most certainly would have eaten those that existed in his environment.

Katherine
How many people on the Paleo diet eat their meat raw? That seems like an additional process to me.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:22 PM   #14
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Coblentz View Post
How many people on the Paleo diet eat their meat raw? That seems like an additional process to me.
The point is that they *could,* not (unless you're really really strict) whether they actually do.

Katherine
Old 04-26-2010, 08:14 AM   #15
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"How many people on the Paleo diet eat their meat raw? That seems like an additional process to me"

Why would they do this? Human are the only animals that cook food. With the exception of milk, nothing we eat is designed to be eaten. Cooking is a way to process the food so we can digest it more fully. Look at the absoption rates for cooked vs raw eggs.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:00 AM   #16
Matt Coblentz

Profile:

I was only asking because it was stated that some legumes were not paleo because they could not be eaten raw and I was curious why cooking some foods is acceptable but others is not.

I'm doing some personal research on different diets to help control Type 1 diabetes and it seemed to be an interesting question.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:41 AM   #17
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

LEgumes cannot be eaten raw, where as meat CAN be, though in general it's better to eat them cooked. FIre has been around a long time. I am having beef and black beans for lunch, by the way.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #18
Matt Coblentz

Profile:

So it's not that people do eat it raw, just that they could? I guess I'm just a little confused why it is acceptable to cook some things but not others. Although I do admittedly have more research to do.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #19
Meghan Reid

Profile:

To follow up with what everyone else is saying:

No, beans and legumes aren't "Paleo" by definition. Yes, they have great nutritional profiles and can be a good addition to your "strict Paleo" diet. Much like cashew, or bananas, or sweet potatos, or milk. Or fermented grains, for that matter. If these are in your diet, you are not eating strictly Paleo by definition. If it works for you, great. However, as with milk and grains, legumes are potentially irritating and thus it would be good to drop them for a month or so along with any other potential source of gut irritation and add it back in one at a time to pinpoint the offender. Then you can make an informed decision. I've done this and I know that milk is no good for me and grains make me bloated. I haven't eaten legumes lately just because they haven't appealed to me but I love peas and chickpeas and I wouldn't turn down a bowl of them if it was presented, even though I know that it will make me a little bloated.

In that same vein, if you are eating clean and the "worst" thing you're doing is eating some hummus every now and then or you're driving yourself insane because the only green option on a menu is peas, let it go. Unless you're eating bowls of peas a day, it probably won't affect your performance that much. Or maybe it will, but it's up to you to experiment and decide. Good luck!
Old 04-27-2010, 10:42 AM   #20
Ryan Earle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Coblentz View Post
So it's not that people do eat it raw, just that they could? I guess I'm just a little confused why it is acceptable to cook some things but not others. Although I do admittedly have more research to do.
Meat you buy in the store isn't clean enough to eat raw.