CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 09-15-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
Arturo Garcia

Profile:
If you were forced to skip day 2 of the 3 day cycle...

What would you do?

Ok, the case in point is that I did the bench press, pull-ups and squats for 5 rounds workout. Then I had to do a Hero WOD, but I could not workout that day. So today, which would be the "third" day of the workout, I did what I needed to do yesterday. I chose one I had not done yet - Joshie. I scaled down to 15 reps (total 90) of 40# DB squat snatch, and 10 reps (total 60) of N-pull-ups. I'm still a noob and this took almost 42 minutes! Too much for a metcon, huh? Should've scaled more.. I was not aware of how difficult N-pullups can be (and the workout actually called for L-pullups!!!). I feel they are MUCH more difficult than even strict, deadhang pull-ups with no kip, the beggining of the movement feels so weird to me, like the shoulder is in a very different possition.

Anyways... I finished that workout at 1pm. I'm back at work now, and I was thinking that with a few hours rest (5, to be exact), at 6pm after I leave here and get home, I could do the strength workout that was supossed to be my third day workout... clean+jerk 3-3-3-3-3. This is a strength one, so lots of rest between sets is allowed and I wouldn't be so gassed, heavily breathing and stuff like I was doing my version of Joshie.

Is this a good idea? Or should I do the strength workout tomorrow? If I do the latter, then I would have no rest before my next 3 day cycle and would be working out 5 days in a row. Since I rested yesterday... maybe I can do this second workout today, and rest tomorrow, and I should be OK for the next cycle? I mean, it's not like two metcons, one is a strength one...

I've searched and read other people's input on similar subjects, but did not find a specific answer for this. I guess I'm just looking for opinions.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
Bob Guere

Profile:
Re: If you were forced to skip day 2 of the 3 day cycle...

Getting off the main page WODs happens to us a lot with kids, etc. ... it just happens. From my early days with CF (only 8 months now) I learned the hard way how to INSIST rest is part of the deal. If you are one of those 5 days on 2 days off folks who handle it well, then it's probably ok.

If not, I think most folks here would say "rest" and pick back up after a day off. The good thing about CF is even if you miss a WOD, there's always another waiting for you the next day.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

So doing the metcon and several hours later the strength workout, even with a rest day before AND after this day, is not a good idea?

About the 5 consecutive days - that's the thing, I'm not sure how well I'd handle it because I've never done 5 days in a row. But I see that the next cycle has Fran and I would like to see how I've improved since my last one, wouldn't wanna be burnt out by then. Man, I've got so many questions.. just typing this parragraph I was asking myself, "since my first ever Fran was with 33# dumbells.. should I do it like that again, maybe with slightly heavier DB's, or should I use a barbell? Coz I wanna gauge progress".. lol. Being new to CF sucks
Old 09-15-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
Bob Guere

Profile:

I think a lot of us have done a metcon and strength in one day, but after that I wouldn't pick up on day 1 of the 3 day unless you know you can handle it.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:10 PM   #5
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Hey Bob, I truly appreciate your responses to my somewhat dumb inquiry. I think the language barrer isn't letting you understand very well what I mean, you'll have to excuse my poor english!!

I already did the metcon today - if I do the strength one a few hours later, I would NOT be starting the 3 day cycle tomorrow. I would REST tomorrow, and then start.

I begun my 3-day cycle with the first workout, but due to certain stuff, I had to skip the SECOND day of the cycle. So I wanna make up for it, by doing that workout, plus the one chosen for the 3rd day of the cycle, both on the third day. After the 3rd day, there would be a rest day following, and then another 3-day cycle. So far I've had no problems with 3 day cycles.

The other way I was asking about... was the option of doing that 2nd day workout, on the rest day between the two cycles. But that would put 5 consecutive days with workouts (day 3 of first cycle, the original "rest" day which would now have what should have been done on day 2 of first cycle", and then the other 3 day cycle"...). Sounds tough, and I don't wanna miss the strength workout as I know I can use the strength!!

So if one workout doesn't dilute the effects of the other or whatever, I'm gonna do it later today, rest tomorrow, and again start a cycle later (after one day rest). Wow, I type a lot. Maybe I should think less about this stuff and train every day!!
Old 09-15-2008, 02:15 PM   #6
Bob Guere

Profile:

I do understand what you are asking, your English is very good!

You know best if your body can handle a metcon and strength in one day, but a rest day afterward would be a great idea. I think you're on the right path, as long as this is what your body can handle. Same with the option of 5 days in a row... if you think you can handle it.

My caution was because of my experience (and other's) with over training even though we "felt" like we were good to go the next workout, or next day.