CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
Tobias W. Neal

Profile:
Question Day-to-Day operation help

Good evening everyone,
Well, the moment to open is getting closer and closer. I am racking my brain to make sure that I have everything in place. Here are a few questions that advice would be appreciated. First, I want to hire top notch trainers and I believe in paying them well for what they do. I have been trying to figure a way to pay trainers and would look forward to any ideas that are working for your businesses. Second, pay scales and programs...what are the norms? Last, how do you track your members so that you know who is good to go and who is behind in payments? I look forward to opening a strong and supportive community involving CrossFit and I appreciate all help that is given. I am sure that this information is spread throughout the blogs but currently I am serving in the military and time on the computer is limited. I humbly ask your forgiveness for this transgression.

Respectfully,

Tobias Neal
Old 10-17-2007, 09:01 PM   #2
Mark Reinke

Profile:
Re: Day-to-Day operation help

First off, make sure your prospective trainers/coaches have made the effort to get themselves certed. Whether that be CrossFit or another national cert. Otherwise, you're potentially hiring a liability that the insurance company won't like if someone they're training gets injured. If the trainer has not attended a CrossFit course, give them an incentive to get out to one in a timely manner.

For example:
-Help them with the cost of the cert/travel.
-Pay increase upon completion.
-If your an "LLC", maybe consider those future coaches for shareholder status of your company.

Of course, you probably wouldn't want to take on someone who isn't a CrossFit participant/enthusiast. If they don't want to improve their CrossFit accomplishments, they probably won't really want to improve the quality of their coaching for your business.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:34 AM   #3
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:
Re: Day-to-Day operation help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Reinke View Post
First off, make sure your prospective trainers/coaches have made the effort to get themselves certed. Whether that be CrossFit or another national cert. Otherwise, you're potentially hiring a liability that the insurance company won't like if someone they're training gets injured. If the trainer has not attended a CrossFit course, give them an incentive to get out to one in a timely manner.

For example:
-Help them with the cost of the cert/travel.
-Pay increase upon completion.
-If your an "LLC", maybe consider those future coaches for shareholder status of your company.

Of course, you probably wouldn't want to take on someone who isn't a CrossFit participant/enthusiast. If they don't want to improve their CrossFit accomplishments, they probably won't really want to improve the quality of their coaching for your business.
I was thinking about this the other day also. I already offered to pay for the plane ticket and part ownership in the company (LLC). I think he's waiting to see if his wife's job relocates her.