CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-21-2005, 05:17 AM   #1
Nick Wilson

Profile:  
Hi,

I do all of my workouts in my garage, and I'm slowly building / aquiring the equipment I need for Crossfit workouts. One exercise I'd really like to try is wallball (I've currently been subbing for thrusters), so the next piece I'm considering is a medicine ball. However, I've got a question.

My garage roof is only about 8' 6" high, and I can't realistically train outside. If I set up a wallball target right at the ceiling level, it's still fairly low, bearing in mind that I'm 6' 3" tall. After all, the standard seems to be to have the bottom of the target at 10', whereas the bottom of mine would only be about 7'.

How different will the exercise be with such a low target? I'll hardly have to throw the ball at all, so the throwing part of the exercise will be less explosive than I think it should be.

Would I be better off simply continuing to substitute dumbbell thrusters, or will wallball with a low target still be worthwhile?

Thanks for any opinions.
Nick.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:42 AM   #2
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
I say bounce it off the ceiling or go outside. Although thrusters are fine, I like wallball better and I think you should try to do them even if they aren't perfect. Perhaps get a heavier ball to make it more challenging.

However, if you aren't getting anything out of the smallwallball then do thrusters.

Keith
Old 08-22-2005, 10:49 AM   #3
Mark Gebhard

Profile:
It's been awhile since freshman physics, but I did some calculations recently (I just made my first medicine ball) and I think doing wallball to an 8' target with a 28 lb ball is roughly equivalent to the standard 10' target with a 20 lb ball. I haven't been able to physically compare them though, so I could be wrong.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:23 PM   #4
Nick Wilson

Profile:  
Thanks for the comments. I think you're right, it's worth trying smallwallball and seeing if I find it beneficial (I expect I will). A heavier ball might be the answer if it's too easy (unlikely to be the case for a long time!!)

I'll train outside when I can, but sadly that's not often (and due to get even more infrequent now that the 3-day British summer seems to have passed).

Thanks again.