CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-28-2003, 06:51 PM   #1
Fiona

Profile:  
For a muscle up to count, should it be from a hang or can you start with you feet on the ground?
Old 06-28-2003, 07:20 PM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Fiona: I don't think it matters . . . believe me, when I finally get my first one, I'm not going to NOT count it because I didn't start in the hang! All of the difficulty is up at the top end . . . the "turning over" of the grip as you pass from a pulling up motion to a pushing down motion . . .

I do think that the rings have to be reasonably over your head though . . . no starting out with the rings at eye level! (although I've been tempted).

(Besides, Coach just posted photos of Erin doing one, and it sure looked like she was standing, with her arms about 80% extended, to start.)

Others will chime in and override me if I'm wrong, I'm sure.

Dave
Old 06-29-2003, 08:52 PM   #3
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Today at the Seattle Kettlebell Club meeting we had sort of an impromptu ring session. I brought a pair of the Power Rings with me and we set them up over a tree.
Two people did muscle-ups successfully for the first time.
I did a muscle-up for the first time with a pause at the top of the pull-up, so I had no momentum going into the transition. I was just doing it to illustrate the technique, so I was surprised when I did it successfully.
It was pretty cool to see people do them for the first time. There was also a russian guy there who showed us a bunch of fun exercises to try. He put on quite a show.

Tyler