CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-06-2007, 02:18 PM   #1
Shane Christopher Imbert

Profile:
Gday there,

I had an excellent upper body ring workout yesterday doing feet elevated push ups, body rows, jacknife push ups, modified ring flyes, pullups, dips, chinups and HSPU (modified)..... all on the rings in my garage.

I am just wondering......provided that I keep up my Oly lifts (deadlift, front squat, cleans, thrusters, push press etc) is there really any need for me to go back to my commercial gym and do exercises such as incline/flat dumbell bench presses, EZ bar curls, military presses, rear delt raises, tricep pushdowns and the like?

I have just started crossfit and am really enjoying the increased fitness benefits. I am only doing one metcon per week in order to build some max strength and hypertrophy in the now-getting-colder months. My pseudo paleo/zone/mass gain diet is currently a work in progress.

To cut a long story short: Is one form of resistance(rings or bodyweight) more effective than other types (iron via bodybuilding) for building size or, is resistance simply resistance?

Old 03-06-2007, 04:55 PM   #2
Daniel Miller

Profile:
Cheers Shane,

Welcome to the board!

I don't know if I would go as far to say resistance is simply resistance. I tend to gravitate towards exercises that require full body tension, an element of balance, and real concentration. These usually aren't there with traditional gym exercises. The truth is that Force=Mass x Acceleration, Work=Force x distance, and most importantly Power= Work/Time.

Of course there is all the stuff about the importance of recruiting muscle stabalizers (experienced the first time you switch from bar dips to ring dips) which probably matters a great deal for building functional mass.

You can't really say that bodybuildng exercises don't work, because a lot of body builders are freakin huge...but in terms of athletic strength many are lacking.

I'd choose rings over most dumbell moves any day.

-Dan
Old 03-06-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
David Aguasca

Profile:
resistance is simply resistance.

using free weights (multi-joint movements, of course) vs. bodyweight develops different skills, i think. for example, developing a free-standing HSPU is all about body control and balance, while doing a 1x bodyweight shoulder press with dumbbells is more about external object control and shoulder stability.

if you're undecided, do a little of both. or you could choose to do the one that you are weaker at, thus making you stronger athletically, overall.

personally, i prize body control a lot due to my sport, so rings is the way i go, but swinging KBs and doing DB snatches is still a blast.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:43 PM   #4
Jason Billows

Profile:
There may be arguments that one form of training is better than the other, but I expect your best overall option is a combination of the two. If you have the opportunity to train both ways, I say do it. The more variety you can throw into your workouts the better. It will keep your body guessing and will prevent your muscles from "learning" to expect certain workouts or exercises.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:38 PM   #5
ryan mack

Profile:
I am new to crossfit and have only completd one routine. I must say I am always excited about something new and I am excited about trying crossfit.

However, I cant see dropping entirely my bodybuilding and powerlifting roots. I think I like the above posters input to do a little of both. My views may change as I adopt more of the crossfit philosphy... who knows.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:17 PM   #6
Shane Christopher Imbert

Profile:
thats great guys, thanks for your feedback....

I am going to cycle the ring skills and DB movements from week to week so I dont get stale.

cheers
Old 03-08-2007, 09:46 AM   #7
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
The only thing I have not been able to do with my bodyweight is hit my upper traps and levator scapula. Every now and then I find that I need to hit a weight room to do upward pulling motions, complexes, etc. to balance out all the downward pull stuff I do with bodyweight on rings, bar, whatever.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:34 PM   #8
Shane Christopher Imbert

Profile:
Jibreel,

I have just started incorporating inverted ring pullups which seems to hit my upper back directly. I also did some hang squat cleans and sumo deadlift high pulls in my routine last week and have noticed some quite rapid development in this same area.

I must say though..... it is very hard to try and fit all the necessary exercises within the hour before cortisol breakdown!

I'm finding it quite difficult to design a workout program to include crossfit and bodyweight exercises and the oly lifting...Ill get there eventually

cheers