CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-03-2007, 01:56 PM   #1
Jerome Roth

Profile:
I have been doing the crossfit workouts for 18 months. (age 46, 195 lbs, 12%BF) I also compete in Judo. Over the last year and a half I have gained 20lbs of muscle and lost 15lbs of fat. I am competitive with most of the guys in my dojo that are half my age. I have had tremendous gains in strength and endurance with Crossfit. My problem is that, my net gain of 5lbs is putting me very close to the top of my weight division. I do not want to move up another weight division as most of the tournaments I enter only have limited masters events, and I would often be in the open weight category, if over 198lbs. At my age, I find it extremely difficult to drop and maintain my bf below 10-12%. I have searched the threads for increasing strength without adding weight and have found the threads confusing. Should I be focusing on the lower rep workouts (1 to 3reps) or the 5x5 workouts. I generally train at the dojo twice per week and use these sessions plus another WOD as my metcon workouts. I try to get in at least two low rep strength workouts as well during the week with two rest days.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:08 PM   #2
Michael Tong

Profile:
I think a lot of people would like to have your problem, Jerome. Have you examined your diet? My guess is that you are consuming excess calories, which may lead to muscle mass gains.

On the weight training end, hopefully the experts will chime in but my opinion would be to do moderate reps, in the 6-9 range, at around 70% load.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Diet is the issue.

Are you on the Zone?

Your diet will have more of an effect than your rep range when it comes to your weight.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:45 AM   #4
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
I'd definitely point to diet.

I know he's not well loved on here, but Matt Furey (former national champion wrestler, former world champion martial artist, etc) has a fat loss program that I did at one point, and it worked awesome. His basic premise is extremely similar to the zone diet, but basically only eat anything that can be plucked out of the ground, yanked off a tree, or shot while walking through a forest (or a field). Nothing that comes in a bag, box, wrapper, or can. Also avoid starches like corn and potatoes, even breads. Basically on his diet, all your carbs are going to be coming from fruits and vegetables only.

It worked for me, but also didn't work out for me, here's why. I lost fat quickly, BUT I was in the beginning of my speedskating season, and I was typically burning 800+ calories on the ice at a time, which caused rapid glycogen depletion, and after too long, I was in a constant low-glycogen state (because fructose is made into glycogen only by the liver, not by the muscles). I found a way to combat this, with a Post Workout Shake, but haven't gone back on the diet yet, I'm just waiting for the season to end, although I think with the PWS I could go back on now without any problems, I've just been lazy I guess.

{edit}

One more thing I forgot, if you're thinking in your mind "Heck, I'm 46 years old, it's tough to get my body fat below X percent", then you're going to be stuck where you're at because your mind is going to be fighting you all the time. You'll think "I'm sticking to this meal plan, this is no problem" while your subconscious is telling you "why bother, you're 46 years old, it's impossible to get your body fat below X percent, just give up"

(Message edited by Matt_DeMinico on March 05, 2007)
Old 03-05-2007, 12:10 PM   #5
David Wallach

Profile:
Matt hit the nail, and its not about tinfoil hats or randomly hugging trees... but if you say you CAN then you CAN. If you say you can't, your absolutely right.

I am 42 years old, 235lbs @ 5'11" and about 10% bf. I was 314lbs at 38%bf.

I have been down to 8% and am on my way to 6% for some goals i have told myself i WILL hit by August of this year.

i will, because I can. It will be easy, because i must.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:40 PM   #6
Jerome Roth

Profile:
Thanks for your comments. It seems that the suggestions are to offset any gain in muscle mass with a drop in body fat and not to worry about increasing total weight. At 195 lbs and 12% bf I would have 172lbs of lean body mass. If I dropped to 8%bf I could still gain 7lbs of lean body mass and still weigh 195lbs. The crossfit program has worked very well for gaining strength and conditioning for the 3-5 minute randori (fights). It seems to me I need to go the next step and look at the Paelo or Zone diets.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:35 PM   #7
Jerome Roth

Profile:
The following website has a good discussion on exercises to specifically increase strength to weight ratio or power-to-body mass ratio. This is a gymnastics website, but I think it would apply the same principles to anyone who is in a sport where strength is required and total body weight is a limiting factor. This site is work and family friendly.
http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/publications/technique/1996/8/strength-training.ht ml