CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-22-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Seen at the Farmer's Market

Northern Hemisphere summer is here, fresh local produce is starting to appear everywhere. Including, one hopes, your table. This thread is for notes on what you've found and what you plan to do with it, with an eye toward inspiration for the less culinarily adventurous among us.

(Farmer's market goodies only, please. Grok didn't have airplanes to bring out of season apples from New Zealand.)

I'll start.

Lots and lots of leafy greens -- especially spinach and lettuces -- spring onions and green garlic. Good for salads, good for throwing into omelettes along with the

Fresh eggs and cheese
Wild caught salmon and halibut, which of course can also be grilled or broiled and served on their own.

For dessert, breakfast, and snacking, this was the first week for
sweet and tart cherries, which I personally used to make ice cream (Good thing I'm not eating paleo! ) with a bowl left over for snacking.

A few people had tomatoes, which I suspect are greenhouse grown this early, and a few had fingerling potatoes. They're good diced and pan-fried, or boiled in brine and served with butter. (Recognizable as salt potatoes to those from upstate New York.) The grass-fed beef guy was out, so I just noted his existence for future reference.

Katherine
Old 06-22-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Re: Seen at the Farmer's Market

Raw milk: so much better than regular pasteurized milk, and especially good for people like me who can't handle the regular stuff. I got some and had it with the Paleo Crunch from Steve's Club

Goose Eggs (at least I think that's what they were): almost twice the size of regular eggs, never tried them but they are on the to-buy list when I go back there.

Lots of pork: sausages, chops, steaks, ribs, belly...you name it the guy had it.

The market I went to also had all the stuff Katherine mentioned.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

FRUIT (all from local farmers market)
(I just eat by themselves, or put in my oatmeal in the morning)
Cherries
Apricots
Plums
Plouts
Grapefruit
Oranges
Strawberries
Peaches
Nectarines
Lemons

VEGGIES, etc. (all things from the local farmers market)
Radishes
Arugula
Basil
Garlic
Green onions
Leeks
Leafy green lettuces
Turnips
Heirloom tomatoes
Avocadoes
Cucumber
Kale
Swiss Chard
Potatoes
Fennel
Beets

I get a harvest box (from the farmers market) delivered to my house every Saturday morning (Saturday morning = cycling...not shopping!). So, in the past 3 or 4 weeks, all of the above items have arrived on my doorstep.

Every week, things are in there that I've never had before! They enclose a sheet with recipes, and I'll also look up on line what to do with some of the stuff.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:04 PM   #4
Betsy Grimm

Profile:

In my CSA box today: tomatoes, zucchini & summer squash, eggplant, green bell pepper, cucumber, 3 of the cutest little ears of corn.

Haven't seen any fruit yet in the box or at the farmers market. I'm hoping for some cantaloupe soon.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Not seen at the farmer market, hours that I'm not working or awake.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
David Meverden

Profile:

My girlfriend and I are signed up for a farm cooperative. We get lots of interesting vegetables and some good fruit (the watermelon from last week was delicious!).

Our favorites have been roasted Kale and roasted Broccoli (recipes below).
http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2008/1...st_brocco.html
http://cavemanfood.blogspot.com/2009...iled-kale.html
The kale has some olive oil salt and pepper on it and then is broiled until it's a little crispy. It's delicious! I'd never really had kale before. If you see local kale, pick some up and try it!

We just got a bunch of tomatoes (down in SC they aren't greenhouse) and I may serve them with fresh mozzarella and balsamic vinegar, in addition to eating them with salads and my breakfast (either with eggs or just plain).

We've also been getting potatoes in our box, which we have smashed, drizzled with olive oil, then broiled until a little crispy (http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...-hot-potatoes/).
Old 06-22-2010, 07:12 PM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
We just got a bunch of tomatoes (down in SC they aren't greenhouse) and I may serve them with fresh mozzarella and balsamic vinegar, in addition to eating them with salads and my breakfast (either with eggs or just plain).
Fresh local tomatoes? I knew this thread would make me jealous: ours are at least a month away. Unless you've got a really good source for mozzarella, just eat them plain. Salt, pepper, and a little EVOO is all they need.

Katherine
Old 06-22-2010, 08:21 PM   #8
Meghan Reid

Profile:

I've been guilty of too much supermarket shopping and not nearly enough farmer's market shopping lately. My fiance lives outside the city and I've needed his car every night to drive into work, thus, no farmer's market for me. That's it, I've gotta go on Sunday.

We went to the orchard the other weekend, does that count? We picked 7 pounds of strawberries (maybe went overboard? NAH ) and got some local Jersey string beans, tomatoes (I guess, sadly, they were hothouse if they aren't yet in season but they did taste REALLY good), and BLUEBERRIES.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:02 PM   #9
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

The orchard totally counts.

It's impossible to have too many fresh strawberries. Although with seven pounds, the challenge will be eating them before they spoil.

Katherine
Old 06-23-2010, 06:17 AM   #10
Chad Ryan

Profile:

What surprised me most was the Kobe Beef (Wagyu) from a farm here in Bloomington - all grass fed and just amazing!