CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-06-2006, 05:22 AM   #11
Bob Pratt

Profile:
If you plan to build something without securing it in concrete be carefull if you live in a northern area that freezes. Frost heave can ruin 4x4s not secured.
i've used black pipe for homemade windsurfer racks, paralettes and a dip rack & i love the stuff.

ratt
Old 07-06-2006, 07:18 AM   #12
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/14459.html

Book on building your own playground equipment.
(*courtesy Beth Moscov)
Old 07-06-2006, 10:12 AM   #13
Krista A. Jones

Profile:
Here is the latest addition to our family....
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/26763.jpg
Old 07-06-2006, 12:31 PM   #14
Bryan Veis

Profile:
Krista,

Impressive -- could you post some closer shots of the base? I'd like to see how you have all that linked together (and I'd bet I'm not the only one).
Old 07-07-2006, 02:55 PM   #15
Pat Harker

Profile:
Yes, more photos, dimensions and an estimate on materials, please Krista.

I just noticed the person climbing the rope secured to the tree in the background. Might have to Photoshop a Red and White Striped Sweater and some glasses to make them more readily seen ala "Where's Waldo". (No disrespect intended)

Guess that's why I am not a Detective, yet.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:50 AM   #16
William Henniger

Profile:
The Army climbing pod is impressive as well as Kristas jungle gym. I wish I had seen some of these ideas before I built mine.
I used 3-6x6x12's and rented a gas powered auger to dig the holes. I went down about 32+ inches to set the posts and used quickrete. Mine are in a line but I used 3-4x4x8's off of the last post at a 90 degree angle. The 4x4's are for the parallel bars that were set at shoulder height, you have to jump up to get above them. I used pre-cut 5' pieces of galvanized pipe that had already been threaded. I used flanges to attach the pipe to each post. One bar is set at 9' so that even a tall person can use a box for jumping PU's and the other is set at 8'.

I haven't been back to the gym since I built this and my neighbors love it. The only thing that I had a problem with was once everything was plumb and level I had to install the 5' sections of pipe. I may have been off by 1/5" center line to center line of the posts and therefore had to really pry the pipe in between the posts. One of my posts looks off line now so I am going to take it down and have a piece cut specifically for this gap.

I used the 6x6's because I didn't want to use any bracing, I will try to post a picture .
Old 07-09-2006, 10:12 AM   #17
Frank M Needham

Profile:
That is excellent Krista, very well done! It is hard to discern the base construction but looks as if the whole enchilada is mounted on a type sled arrangement that would allow for movement to another location.

That tree looks like one heck of good rope climb could be hung there. Is the timber pressure treated?
Old 07-11-2006, 07:19 PM   #18
Bob Pratt

Profile:
AWSOME!!!
Frank; it maybe my imagination but i think there is a rope [and a climber] attached to the tree.
or did someone spike the kool-aid?

ratt
Old 07-12-2006, 08:27 AM   #19
Steven Manns

Profile:
Great ideas!!

I have a 10x10 shed that I would like to put a chin up bar and maybe parallel bars into...any tips or experience on this?
Old 07-13-2006, 03:46 PM   #20
Krista A. Jones

Profile:
Here are the details. I had to get Ahmik (my husband) to write this all out for me. I was just the helper for this project:
We started with four 10 foot long 4x6's and four 1 inch internal diameter (1 and 3/8 inch outer diameter) 48 inch galvanized steel pipes. We used floor flanges and 1/4 by 2 inch lag screws to attach them to the pipe. We made the heights around 6 feet, 7 feet, 8 feet and 10 feet. We did the same thing at the bottom, but used 3/4 inch internal diameter pipe, because we could not get enough 1 inch flanges at Home Depot.

We rent and are not allowed to dig holes in the back yard. If we were, we would have bought longer pieces of wood and cemeted the pieces in.

When we put it up it was strong enough, but not very stable. I did some kipping pull-ups on it, and 110 lbs, was able to shake the entire structure so that the opposite legs would come off of the ground. So, we added 10 foot 4x4's on the ground and put 45 degree braces against the legs. Then we sort of made a deck, by adding more supports and putting down 2x6's so there would be a stable place to stand below the pull-up bars.

Last night we added wall ball targets set at a 45 degree angle to each of the posts. Here are the latest pictures:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/27139.jpg
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/27140.jpg