CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 03-27-2009, 08:57 AM   #1
Antun Karlovac

Profile:
Front Squat Form Check

Hi all,

I 3*5 front squats yesterday. Here's the video, which includes the full warm-up. I put title frames in there to make it easy to navigate:

http://www.vimeo.com/3877137 (wfs)

The 3 work sets start at about 1:18.

Any feedback is appreciated.

One question I had: When I was doing the front squats, it really felt (and looked in the mirror) like I had my elbows high. But when I see the video they look lower than I imagined. Are they at the right height? Does it usually feel much higher?

Thanks in advance,

Antun
Old 03-27-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
Robert Callahan

Profile:
Re: Front Squat Form Check

Elbows are fine. The problem is you are hip driving out of the bottom which is pitching your torso forward. You need to site straight down. Think about trying to sit your butt down straight on your heels. This means your knees need to get shoved out further. Also your stance may have been to wide, but it is hard to tell from this angle.

As a side these sets are not for time. You look like you are racing through the warm ups as if you were in the middle of a metcon. This is causing them to look ugly with lots of sloppy errors. Stop racing through the warm up and make them look good. Warm up is the time to focus on form and make it look perfect so by the time it gets heavy you have worked out any small problems.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
Cody Wilkes

Profile:

I agree with Robert.

Your elbows don't drop. You lean forward. Watch the angle between your upper arm and torso and you can see it never changes.

At the bottom of the Squats watch how your butt moves out from under you as you start to push against the weight. This is causing your torso to lean forward as you come up.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:02 AM   #4
Antun Karlovac

Profile:

Hi Robert and Cody,

Regarding the hip-driving, is there cue to fix that? Do I basically need to keep my hamstrings a little tighter?

Quote:
As a side these sets are not for time. You look like you are racing through the warm ups as if you were in the middle of a metcon.
Good advice; thanks.

-Antun
Old 03-28-2009, 09:01 AM   #5
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

One thing I'll tell people to work on for a more upright torso is have someone hold a PVC pipe or their hand behind the person squatting. The cue is to tell the squatter to make their shoulders touch the PVC with their shoulders. It won't happen but it works. I find the hand works better because a physical cue always works better. With the hand you have someone place it on your thoracic with some pressure and the cue is to keep your back pushing up against it.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:55 AM   #6
Cody Wilkes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antun Karlovac View Post
Hi Robert and Cody,

Regarding the hip-driving, is there cue to fix that? Do I basically need to keep my hamstrings a little tighter?-Antun
Yep that and your glutes. This is a control issue, so some lighter weight and form practice should do the trick.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:55 PM   #7
Thomas Green

Profile:

flex your lats, helped me out a lot
Old 04-02-2009, 09:04 PM   #8
Thomas Green

Profile:

Sorry for the double post, but forgot to add that really keeping the bar close to the throat helped me a lot with the posture. At first it felt like I was being choked by the bar, but I did notice that it made my posture more upright. You will get used to it eventually.

Also, not trying to start an argument(I'm not endorsing either method because my o-lifting experience is limited to the past year), but just want to point out that there are other very experienced trainers on this board that don't believe that sitting straight down and shoving the knees forward is a good idea. You might want to check out some other threads on front squats to see what they have to say. Then decide what you think is more convincing.

Last edited by Thomas Green; 04-02-2009 at 09:18 PM..
Old 04-03-2009, 05:53 AM   #9
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

There's no way to maintain an upright torso if the knees do not go forward and the only way to do that is to make sure your hips do not move backwards in the movement. This is supposed to be a quad-glute dominant movement.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:06 AM   #10
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Degenaro View Post
There's no way to maintain an upright torso if the knees do not go forward and the only way to do that is to make sure your hips do not move backwards in the movement. This is supposed to be a quad-glute dominant movement.
Just saying plenty of trainers on this board with many years of experience think otherwise. To the OP, just make sure you read their opinions too. Again, I'm not an o-lifter so I'm not endorsing either way. You're posture is pretty upright already-keeping the bar closer to your throat, keeping a tight back and chest up will make it even better.

I totally agree that getting the knees forward makes you more upright. But I do agree with the trainer in the last front squat thread who said that this puts a lot of pressure on the patellar tendon, especially for a beginner who has trouble staying on his heels. It's MUCH easier for an experienced o-lifter to squat this way without injury. Antun, I'd read some of the other front squat threads just to hear both sides out.

Last edited by Thomas Green; 04-03-2009 at 11:17 AM..