CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-01-2005, 07:29 AM   #1
Chris Wyant

Profile:
Ok so insomnia hit me this evening and I was going through alot of the old posts and found an old post regarding the mentioned topic. However, the information I found to be slightly incorrect. The comments made were that a 1:30 split time would be equivalent to a 4:30 mile. While close - it is slightly different. For anyone who wants a laymans distance - quarter mile run = 500 meters. Plain and simple. 1 mile run = 2kilometer erg. The difference is staggering - figure that the world record for a 2k erg is a 532 (I think it was just rcently broken - but it was held by a 6'10 russian farmer who weighed 265lbs of 'lean' muscle). Whereas the WR for the mile run is (this I have no clue...) but I think is around 3:49??? (correct me if im wrong) SO now you may be thinking "But Chris...With times so different..." The reason the times are so different is the speed of acceleration. It is felt that if you raced a rower next to a runner - the runner will always win till about the 4400 meter mark - this is when the runner's body begins to tire and not be as efficient compared to the rower. The rowing while slow to accelerate is easy to maintain a pace over long distnaces - but like I said hard to accelerate - rowing is a sport in which it takes a bit of time to realize ones efforts. Subsequently (im ranting cause its early) if you race 100 meters on the rower and runner - Many can run a 100 meters sub 11seconds....try doing it on a rower :-)

A good link to see if you are slower running or rowing is to run and row the same distance (my recomendation is 500 meters) - The rower should be about 15 seconds slower roughly.

On a side note - marathons - world record marathon for a runner - 2:07:01.... I rowed a marathon as a junior in high school and finished in 2:36:08...World record holder vs High school athlete...you get the idea.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:54 AM   #2
Paul Siatczynski

Profile:
The world record for the mile is 3:43, but a mile is 1600 meters, not 2k. A quarter mile is 402 meters, not 500. This will change your calculations somewhat.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:12 PM   #3
Chris Wyant

Profile:
This I know Paul. However - based on the fact that when a runner runs - his feet are planted in a single position and not gliding during recovery - the aditional meters offsets the recovery per stroke. Talk to almost any olympic rowing coach and they will tell you - run 400 meters/ row 500 meters.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:51 PM   #4
Pat Janes

Profile:

It's been a pretty standard conversion in the WOD too... sub 500m row for 400m run; I assume for the same reason.