CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-24-2006, 04:48 AM   #1
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:
I have a history of low back pain. It's all muscular. My job has me doing a lot of pushing and pulling and heavy lifting. For the most part I practice safe and correct lifting skills. I teach transfer training at a hospital. So I have some deeper understanding of how to use my body.
OK, so I have not had any issues with doing thrusters with KB's or Db's. But when I started to do front and back squats with a O bar My lower back started to scream. I feel like I have cables for in my lower back. It's not acute at this point. Because I listen to my body and try to treat it well. I'm just wondering why using the bar brings this out?
Old 04-24-2006, 06:14 AM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
My two cents
Make very sure you are not rounding your back at the bottom of the movement. When I started FS that was my big problem I had been back squatting for years but even when using light weights I tended to loose the arch in my low back with FS. OHS (overhead squats)never bothered me but I can really feel the back flexing from neck to butt and got some amount of back DOMS from working OHS a lot in the early phases of getting used to them.

I would guess plain and simple your back is weak.

Take your time breaking into squats. Do OHS to strengthen your whole torso.

Do deadlifts bother your back? If you have not done them before be very careful.

There is also the video coaching section (which I don't know how to use) I am sure there are people who could help you make sure your form is good.