CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-14-2010, 06:47 AM   #1
Daniel LeGrand

Profile:  
Stance width for DL

I was watching some videos of 500+ DLs and it seems that the heavier the DL, the wider the stance. I was wondering what the optimum width was for a good, heavy DL.

I'm currently at 450# and my stance is slightly wider than shoulder width (I get that by closing my eyes and prepare to do a vertical jump and use that as my width). But I watch the competitive lifters and their stances are nearly 1.5 - 2x wider than shoulder width.

Anyone know if this is an appropriate stance for good DL form? Is it merely a preference? It seems the wider your stance, the shorter the distance you have to move the bar, but I wasn't sure on appropriateness of this technique.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:54 AM   #2
Tamara Cohen

Profile:
Re: Stance width for DL

Are they pulling sumo?
Old 12-14-2010, 07:41 AM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Individual anthropometry may give you better leverage (and therefore strength) in a sumo stance, or in a conventional stance. The few inches that the range of motion gets reduced is negligible.

If you have extremely long legs and a short torso (or a few other combinations) you may be better suited for a sumo stance. But it's not necessarily true that sumo=stronger, seeing how Andy Bolton's 1008lb deadlift was with a conventional stance, and Konstantinovs routinely pulls about 4x bodyweight raw with a conventional stance.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
Chris Mason

Profile:

That video was not indicative of all pulling.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
Ian Nigh

Profile:

I find that feet directly bellow my hips (AKA jumping stance) keeps my back and hips happy. But my best DL is only 352lbs so take it or leave it.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
Graeme Howland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
and Konstantinovs routinely pulls about 4x bodyweight raw with a conventional stance.
Nitpicking, but KK has competed @ 275# and 308# weightclasses, so his 900+ pulls are not 4X BW .
Old 12-15-2010, 08:15 PM   #7
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Individual anthropometry may give you better leverage (and therefore strength) in a sumo stance, or in a conventional stance. The few inches that the range of motion gets reduced is negligible.

If you have extremely long legs and a short torso (or a few other combinations) you may be better suited for a sumo stance. But it's not necessarily true that sumo=stronger, seeing how Andy Bolton's 1008lb deadlift was with a conventional stance, and Konstantinovs routinely pulls about 4x bodyweight raw with a conventional stance.
Exactly that.

Your mileage will most definitely vary. It depends on your mechanics, conditioning and a lot of other things. I've got an athlete who's fairly short but has really long femurs so sumo stance works best for her, for instance.