CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-25-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
Stephen Flamm

Profile:
Advice for Acquiring Cheap Equipment?

I have been approved for affiliation, and am currently beginning to collect equipment. Putting the bulk of my budget into the essentials - bumpers, bars, and pull-up stations. Aside from that, I'm scouring craigslist, calling everyone I know in the industry, and making as much by myself as possible (parallettes, some med balls, lifting platform, etc.).

Anyone found any tricks for acquiring solid equipment at reasonable prices? Have you made items that most wouldn't think of? Found local sources like rowing clubs that might have used ergs being replaced? Implemented any unusual pieces of equipment?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
Old 08-26-2008, 04:49 AM   #2
Thomas Covington

Profile:
Re: Advice for Acquiring Cheap Equipment?

Craigslist has been my best friend in getting my gear together; keep looking at it and be persistant. Also, be open to driving an hour or so to grab a good buy.

Agricultural supply shops can be perfect for getting some supplies - tires & tire tubes. You might also want to visit your favorite dive and ask if they have any old kegs you could take off their hands.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:52 PM   #3
Rick Gutierrez

Profile:

Stephen,

As Thomas mentioned, craigslist will be your best friend. stay on top of it, can't stress it enough. I have bought 2 C2 rowers for a total of $550.00, 3 sets of DD KB's (1 pood, 1.5 pood. 2 pood) for $450.00 and my first set of bars and plates just to name a few. I think i've done pretty good here.

If you can find a wholesaler of equipment in your area, pay them a visit and become their best friend. The local Gym Source in Miami carries used equipment, I was able to pickup hex dumbbells on the cheap, and i mean dirt cheap. Good luck
Old 08-27-2008, 06:31 PM   #4
Travis Hall

Profile:

Whole bunch of links for homemade equipment here:

http://www.rosstraining.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=157

(wfs)

Also search the CF Equipment archives.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:40 PM   #5
Tom Taylor

Profile:

Hey Stephen,

Great advice so far and in case you have not heard CraigsList.

1. In addition to searching Craigslist every spare moment you have, place ads in the Wanted and Sporting sections stating that you are looking for equipment. The equipment we use are specialty items and you would be suprised at what people hang on to thinking there is no market for it so sometimes it pays to ask. Be specific and list what you are looking for, this won't prevent people from responding with Health Riders covered in decades of dust but it should narrow down your responses.

2. Visit Play It Again Sports in your area

http://www.playitagainsports.com/locations.aspx?s=OH

or similar equipment resellers. Introduce yourself and give them a list of what you are looking for. Ask them to keep an eye out for the items on the list and to contact you if they come across them. This is another opportunity to get your name out there...and after all this is the business they are in.

3. Contact local High Schools and Universities. This is another opportunity to introduce yourself. While you are at it find out if they have any equipment to get rid of. Sadly between budget cuts and curriculum changes P.E. and Sports Programs are receiving less and less funding which means equipment left unused sometimes in a storage room all but forgotten.

4. Get a Metal Detector and cruise the parks and beaches for abandoned power racks and Olympic bars. Nothing beats free and besides the ladies love a guy in black knee high socks and a sun visor (don't forget to Zinc your nose).

I will email you a list of some of the stuff we have built at our place.

Hope all is well,
Good luck,
Old 08-27-2008, 09:24 PM   #6
Ahmik Jones

Profile:

I have a list of places to buy a ton of equipment for CrossFit in the Garage Gym Shopping List.

Some of it is out of date. I will get it updated after I finish the physics boards.

http://crossfitweekendwarriors.typepad.com/homegym.htm (WFS)

It was written for people building a garage gym, but a lot of it is useful for Affiliates as well.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:22 AM   #7
Christian Sciarrino

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Flamm View Post
I have been approved for affiliation, and am currently beginning to collect equipment. Putting the bulk of my budget into the essentials - bumpers, bars, and pull-up stations. Aside from that, I'm scouring craigslist, calling everyone I know in the industry, and making as much by myself as possible (parallettes, some med balls, lifting platform, etc.).

Anyone found any tricks for acquiring solid equipment at reasonable prices? Have you made items that most wouldn't think of? Found local sources like rowing clubs that might have used ergs being replaced? Implemented any unusual pieces of equipment?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
Congrats on your affilitation acceptentce!! Its a big step, but one I am sure you will never regret.
Regarding looking for inexpensive equipment we can probably help you out with some stuff. Look for a PM from me.

Christian
Old 08-29-2008, 01:52 PM   #8
Andy Armstrong

Profile:

Get some designs together and get to a welder/fabricator. Things like benches and squat stands are simple for an engineer to make and can be made to a high spec.

Also, I have just made a set of squat stands for virtualy no money at all with some concrete, a few buckets and some 2by4.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:24 PM   #9
Stephen Flamm

Profile:

Andy,

Have a friend who welds, and I plan on speaking to him about bartering services. How specific do designs have to be, or do you think a could just bring in pics of set-ups I like?
Old 08-29-2008, 03:53 PM   #10
Andy Armstrong

Profile:

Both if you can do it mate. If you take them a picture off the net of a set of squat stands then the welder has a much better idea of what you are after, but in order to make it then you really want to give some measurements (even if they are just rough) otherwise you could end up with something really small/well oversized! Then you just have to get it finished. Don't brush paint it- it leaves a terrible finish. Spray painting the kit is the best option. Or yu could pay a bit more and get them powder coated. One trick with getting the finish cheap is to ask the painter to do it alongside someone elses bigger job. It doesnt cost them much and saves them a lot of hassle so they will do it really cheap. The only problem with this is that there is likely to be a longer wait time. -although if you are not specific about the colour then it will be quicker.

Hope that helps.