CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 07-26-2008, 08:55 AM   #1
Warren C Ellison

Profile:
Has my squat improved?

Picture below of side by side comparsion of my squat after 20 days of SS. I think it has gotten better...not perfect but better. My head looks a little down. Is it getting better or is it just wishful thinking?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20 day comparsion of squat.gif
Views:	460
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	2118  
Old 07-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: Has my squat improved?

Much, much better. The femur in the second picture is pretty much parallel with the ground and the hip crease is about the same level as the knee - that is how deep you need to go every time as a minimum, and work yourself deeper as your squat matures.

The first picture is basically a 1/2 squat, the second picture is very much improved.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:46 AM   #3
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

also pay attention to how much your knees go in front of your toes, ideally they should not pass vertical line drawn from your toes up. Second picture is much better in that sense. It seems like you have some butt wink on the first picture. second one is much better. no doubt...
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 07-26-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Head position looks fine in that picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Kornishev View Post
also pay attention to how much your knees go in front of your toes, ideally they should not pass vertical line drawn from your toes up.
Thats actually not true for the Low bar back squat prescribed in Starting Strength. The knee should be just slightly foward of the toes, maybe only an inch or so though depending on athropometry. But i agree that in the first picture the knees are too far and in the second picture it looks great.

Really I would get a video up though as that is going to be much more beneficial for seeing problems. Even a cell phone video works well enough even if the resolution is not the best

-Robert
Old 07-26-2008, 02:30 PM   #5
Warren C Ellison

Profile:

Thanks for all the comments. I have a video, that's how I got the picture. I'll post it.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:40 PM   #6
Warren C Ellison

Profile:

video
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...59210063&hl=en w/f/s
Old 07-26-2008, 02:59 PM   #7
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
Head position looks fine in that picture.

Thats actually not true for the Low bar back squat prescribed in Starting Strength. The knee should be just slightly foward of the toes, maybe only an inch or so though depending on athropometry. But i agree that in the first picture the knees are too far and in the second picture it looks great.

Really I would get a video up though as that is going to be much more beneficial for seeing problems. Even a cell phone video works well enough even if the resolution is not the best

-Robert
You are right Robert... I personally do not like placing the bar too low and my shins stay close to vertical during whole cycle.
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 07-26-2008, 03:41 PM   #8
Tony Stock

Profile:

1- ditch the belt

2- deeper.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:15 PM   #9
Derek Franks

Profile:

Your knees tend to come forward a bit at the bottom. Focus on shoving them out to the side. That might also make it a little easier to get the depth a little lower.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:20 PM   #10
Derek Franks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Kornishev View Post
You are right Robert... I personally do not like placing the bar too low and my shins stay close to vertical during whole cycle.
Actually if you've got the bar higher, your knees will come farther forward. An even lower-bar, powerlifting style squat with an extra wide stance might result in knees that don't come past the toes.