CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-25-2008, 12:54 PM   #1
Will Parker

Profile:
Cheap UK equipment

Can anyone recommend UK based shop to get an olympic barbell and weights set and a power rack?

How much space does a typical power rack take up? I do not have much room and need to know If I can fit a power rack in or will have to make do with those seperate stand things.

What have other people done that have basically no space?
Old 03-25-2008, 05:58 PM   #2
Thong Van Cao

Profile:
Re: Cheap UK equipment

Hi Will

If you’re looking at rubber bumper weights, then the following is my experience.
I spent some time searching for oly weights and in the end just raided my poker account and got them from York. They are not cheap but I think worth the money you pay if you want to try oly lifts or overhead lifts (I got 2x10kgs and 2x 20kgs - though I would have got 2x 15ks instead of 20s as I discovered my oly lifts are pretty feeble). I also looked to save on some cash and also got some '15kg bumpers' from Powerhouse Fitness'. These were a lot cheaper and are metal centered with a rubber outer. I don't like them. When you 'drop' these' you feel as if they're going to take a chunk out of the floor (which is in my garage with padding). I then topped up with normal metal 2.5 and 1.25kgs...from York…that said if you just want metal Olympic weights you could get a set from most places I think…

I also recently acquired a power rack as I got fed up of not being able to do back squats and bench press without a spotter, and pull ups on the RSJ were getting tiresome. I also got this from Powerhouse Fitness (again raiding my poker account) as it was in a sale (150), but delivery was quite a lot. I love it. It takes up quite a bit of space - 145cm x 111cm x 195cm and is also in my garage. Its max weight capacity is 180kgs...which is way more then I bench or squat at present…so fine for me.

If you’re short of space I would look for something like the ‘Vulcan racks’ that the CF journal mentions though I couldn’t really locate anyone in the UK that sold this at a reasonable price…
Old 03-26-2008, 03:42 AM   #3
Will Parker

Profile:

Thanks.

You are correct in thinking that I want bumper plates.

My dad who I am chipping in with to get the stuff does not like the york brand because he had a bad experience with them or something. Any other suggestions?

Also it sounds as if the power rack would be to big as my parents still want to keep there cars and bikes in the garage so it needs to be something that I can move out of the way or put to one side.

If however that doesn't work I was thinking about putting it in the garden but when it rains or snows I wouldn't be able to use it safely and also it might rust.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:03 AM   #4
Andrew Craig

Profile:

Hi Will,

Regarding bumpers I am speaking with York next week to try and get a better deal on these bumpers. Collectively the u.k. affiliates could potentially arrange a greater buying power. I can't guarantee anything but will let you know how it goes.

Regarding racks I like these but it depends on the space you have. Can use for presses, bench and squats. If you are training on your own then to reduce risk of injury and allow you to push yourself that little bit more I would look for a rack that has safety bars, UNLESS you can get the bumpers and are ok when bailing out of lifts.

Cheers

Andy
Old 03-26-2008, 04:25 AM   #5
Will Parker

Profile:

That would be cool if you could sort something out. The rack also looks good but I am not sure if I could get it to fit anywhere.

Does anyone use the individual posts that you see on some of the CF vids would they be any good?
Old 03-26-2008, 05:00 AM   #6
Chris Kemp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Parker View Post
Thanks.

You are correct in thinking that I want bumper plates.

My dad who I am chipping in with to get the stuff does not like the york brand because he had a bad experience with them or something. Any other suggestions?
Will there is no better bumper available in the UK (other than maybe competition grade plates) than the York bumper. Some of their "home gym" equipment can be a little cheesy but these plates are the real deal.

Not cheap but certainly a quality product.

Cheers, kempie
Old 03-26-2008, 05:46 AM   #7
Alex Woodland

Profile:

There's a place near bristol that does near new (used but with cherry picking there's near brand new plates there) Ivanko calibrated bumper plates for just over a 1 a kilo. PM me for details and a contact name, as they don't advertise publicly. They have around 200-300 25kg plates along with all the other amounts.

They sell the 25kg plates new for around 250 each so its a bargin at 30 odd pounds a plate.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:22 AM   #8
Chris Barclay

Profile:

Alex,
You have mail.

As for racks I would reco the York Squat Press stand. If you have a surface you can drop bumpers on then these are excellent and don't take up too much space. I have used these for a year now and am still chuffed to bits with them.

As for plates - it has to be York if you are buying new otherwise sit and wait on Ebay - I have only seen two bumpers on there in the last year tho' and both were part of a job lot of kit. I bought the bumper grip plates which are a bit cheaper and have held up reasonably well apart from some flaking of the paint and they are not proper bumpers.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:13 AM   #9
James Bailey

Profile:

I just found this site, no bumpers, even the 'bumpers' advertised are just rubber couted metal plates ;-) but they have a lot of other stuff...

WFS http://www.gymratz.co.uk/weight-trai...ment/index.htm
Old 03-27-2008, 08:08 AM   #10
Alex Woodland

Profile:

Pms sent to all you guys.