CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-18-2007, 12:00 PM   #1
Paul Crush

Profile:
Need some help guys . . .

Was going to start a "ME Black Box" variation this week and was looking for some advice.

That was going to look like this:

Sunday-Metabolic conditioning
Monday-Max Effort (Total Body)
Tuesday-Metabolic conditioning
Wednesday-Max Effort (Lower Body)
Thursday-Metabolic conditioning
Friday-Max Effort (Upper Body)
Saturday-Off

Where I need help is on how to choose what to do on the metabolic conditioning days. Do I just mix it up and just pick random WOD's or should I be trying to choose certain types of WOD's for my metabolic conditioning days? I do brazilian jiu-jitsu and would also prefer to do met con that would help my conditioning for that if anyone has advice on what would be good workouts for helping my conditioning for jiu-jitsu. Also, sometimes my met con days will just be my jiu-jitsu class depending on what kind of time I have and how I am feeling.

Thanks in advance

Old 02-18-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Only 1 day off a week? Might want to rethink that....or take every 4th week at 50%....otherwise you will risk underrecovery and overtraining...which can lead to a depressed immune system and muscle wasting. That and your calories better be pretty high.

Just my $0.02....as for the workouts....have fun with it...dont put too much thought, But I would stick with mostly bodyweight stuff and not the heavy lifting as you will already be doing that.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
John Seiler

Profile:
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the boards. First things first, though. I appreciate your enthusiasm but that schedule is too much. 3 on, 1 off is about all that even CrossFit's highest level athletes can sustain. 6 on, 1 off will bust you down in no time; particularly if you are rolling along with it.

As for the metcons, just make sure you're getting a good mix with different types of stimulus. Be sure not to skip the ones you like the least. Those are usually the ones we need the most as they expose our weaknesses. Good luck.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
Paul, that schedule is brutal enough with full rest. With Brazilian Ju Jitsu on top of it, you're likely to crash very quickly. Why not something like this instead?

Sunday-Off
Monday-Max Effort (Total Body)
Tuesday-Metabolic conditioning
Wednesday-Off
Thursday-Max Effort (Upper Body)
Friday-Metabolic conditioning
Saturday-Off

Shift the days forward or backwards if you need to, but keep the same schedule. This gives you a full three days of no training outside of BJJ, and will establish a clear base for general fitness.

I'd say try this schedule for a couple of weeks along with your BJJ, and then report back to the board. The above schedule is tried and true when it comes to general athleticism, and makes for an outstanding beginner's-intermediate's schedule in its own right.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:29 PM   #5
Paul Crush

Profile:
Thanks guys for the advice

Was just wondering if anyone had attempted this type of schedule as it is one I found proposed by Michael Rutherford (Of Preformance Menu and Black Box fame). He states that the athletes he put on this program mades very good gains. If I remember correctly they were as good as the results made by his intial black box experiments.

Any more thoughts would be apreciated thanks

Paul