CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:26 PM   #1
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
http://joshsgarage.typepad.com/artic...miller_mo.html

That's the link to article and video about Mark Twight, the trainer who claims to have helped the actors of "300" get in shape.

The author, Josh Hill, writes, "Not your average workout: Tire flipping, jumping, sprints with a jumpstretch band, runs with kettlebells, turkish get ups with kettlebells, medicine ball throwing, kipping pullups, bear crawls, tuck sits on gymnastics rings, barbell thrusters. Real, oldschool, brutal - full body movements."

He notes later, "Essentially, the actors were training for performance - and the look came with it."

Looks like a few of us did chime in to tell him about Crossfit.

(Message edited by Redmage on March 16, 2007)
Old 03-16-2007, 06:59 PM   #2
Paul Findley

Profile:
http://joshsgarage.typepad.com/about.html

He says he is crossfit level 2 certified, he may know about crossfit. Strange spagetti of a website he has going one tho. I found I can look like Jessica Alba for only $29.95. I also found a link to the stripper FAQ. I suspect he got that from this message board :-) I don't think he is active on this message board, at least from a contribution perspective, I could be wrong. I will be sticking with Paul's Garage.

Oh I found his Fran time :-o
http://forum.dragondoor.com/forum.pl...aininglog=8230

(Message edited by paul on March 16, 2007)
Old 03-16-2007, 07:37 PM   #3
Steve Liberati

Profile:
who really cares anymore about this topic:dunno: Yesterday's news.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:38 PM   #4
Paul Findley

Profile:
True, at least we have not dropped to the depths of the threads at imdb.com
Old 03-16-2007, 09:17 PM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
one of the many reasons I no longer visit this site that much...sad...but I've had enough...it's just a workout....let it go people....if I disappear for good...you will know why
Old 03-16-2007, 11:05 PM   #6
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
Sorry, Mike, I didn't know I was kicking a dead horse. I ran a quick search before I posted, and didn't come with a thread about this. Just found it from a month or so ago, by searching for Mark Twight's name.

(Message edited by Redmage on March 16, 2007)
Old 03-17-2007, 03:06 PM   #7
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
Go Josh Go! That is AWESOME to see the success and marketing exposure that Gym Jones, Josh Hillis, CrossFit, and everyone else is getting from just one movie. Nobody "chimed in" to clue Josh into CrossFit. He's got his Level II cert.

To anyone who can't see The Big Picture: Do you really have NO IDEA all of the good that the movie "300" is doing for CrossFit? When people want to find the sources of things, they will. When they see that CrossFit and Gym Jones and "300" workouts look mysteriously alike, this "aha!" moment hits and people realize that workouts like these are really the way to go for functional AND aesthetic fitness.

Case in point: I have more military guys and Officer Candidates listening to me about how great CrossFit and even kettlebell lifting is now for them than I have in the past three years, DESPITE getting great results from the people I've already trained. Constantly varied, if not randomized, functional movements executed at high intensity are no longer esoteric and "weird" to the public eye. Now it's how Hollywood actors get six packs and big biceps. Even Men's Health had an article with the "300" workout in it!

There is nothing but positivity for all involved, including CrossFit, to be gained from this. Anyone who can't see that needs to stop being so myopic. There's enough good in this world to go around.

So thank you Greg Glassman, Mark Twight, and Josh Hillis, and any other trainer who correctly teaches constantly varied, if not randomized, functional movements executed at high intensity. Keep spreadin' the good word about how fitness should be done, no matter what you call it or where you learned it from.

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit."
Old 03-17-2007, 03:12 PM   #8
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Hmm well said, Eric.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:49 PM   #9
David Knutzen

Profile:
Eric is right on the money.

I've been Crossfitting all my Air Force ROTC cadets this semester, and only a few really saw the benefit of these workouts until recently. Now that most of 'em have gone to see 300, its like a light has gone on in their heads. All of a sudden I'm seeing a heck of a lot more motivation and effort put in at PT sessions, and people are very excited about the workouts to come.

Truth be told, even I've gotten more motivated from seeing the possible results of effective exercise and diet. All in all, Crossfit has gotten a lot of press of off this movie, and its fantastic.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:04 PM   #10
Samuel Redwine

Profile:
It did get me interested. I saw the training segment last summer/fall and checked out gym jones. I noticed a bunch of references to crossfit and found this place.