CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:00 AM   #1
Jerry Hill

Profile:
Impact baby...Impact...

"Military Playing Down Long Runs, Adopting More Diverse Fitness Programs"

wfs link:
http://tinyurl.com/2d4ghk

Old 02-27-2007, 06:26 AM   #2
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Jerry, I just had a Marine Corps officer stop by our gym while he was on leave (to do his WODs, of course)who made very similar comments.
Military CFers just know this is what all our military needs.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:10 AM   #3
Jason Steele

Profile:
Which is why some of the more elite units have been utilizing CF methods for quite a while now.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:40 AM   #4
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
Ah, this makes my job so much easier... thanks for the find, Jerry.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:24 AM   #5
Erik Kahari

Profile:
Your doctrine is very different from Swedish Army. We emphazise cardioexercises since you might have to ski 100 miles behind enemy lines and too much muscles just makes you heavy and you sink deeper in the snow. US soldiers are generally at least 20-30 pounds heavier which puts more stress to joints.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:52 AM   #6
Jason McCain

Profile:
Time for a rant, but I will try to keep it short.

At Peterson Air Force Base Colorado (yes I know its the AF!) the base/post PT leader is a civilian trained in the stone ages (think Cardio/BB routines). Individual units get to determine how they train, and have PT leaders trained by the base. When the unit trainers get their "training" by this person makes them go through a couple classes; standard aerobics, a cybex circuit, some class with bands for resistence, and a "back to basics" course (like a weak WOD without intensity). Then in the classroom you get the 30 minutes a day three times a week routine.

On the surface to a military commander this person's qualifications may seem appropriate for their position...but for a hard charging dude going into a not so nice place (even if its on the back lines) they need something else if they are going to reach max effectiveness. This person doesn't have the first clue what it is to be deployed or the demands in such an environment. To top it all off they are 30lbs overweight.

When this person was brought "up to speed" by a couple knowledgable people in the class they were dismissed and their ideas weren't investigated because the base leader had "never heard of it".

Hope that made sense...anyway I'm going to draft my letter to the base commander now. I'll follow up.