CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-13-2013, 01:35 AM   #1
Ricardo Leopando

Profile:
RM-4 Monster Rack Initial Review

Hello all! so I wanted to give my first review, and my first impression on the rogue monster rack. not a lot of info prior to me purchasing so thought this would help persuade or dissuade people. mainly just to answer some questions I had in my head during the purchase process.

RM-4 including:

100 inch version
2 13"plate storage pairs
stabilizer bar
rogue name plate,
strap safeties
1.25 inch single pull up bar

Purchase / Shipping: 5/5

11.5.2013 purchased this item 4PM Eastern Time, Tuesday.
11.7.2013 Out for shipping, Thursday.
11.8.2013 UPS facility Friday.
11.9.2013 Departed Ohio Saturday 6AM
11.10.2013 Arrived to Southern California 8PM Sunday
11.11.2013 Picked up form UPS Facility afternoon
(too excited for freight to door delivery)

Packaging: 5/5

came in about a dozen boxes, on a pallet, the black wrapping paper said do not stack and it was indeed the top of the heap in the freight. the heaviest legs were on the bottom. no damage was done to the equipment. no scratch to the powder coat. professionalism was noted in every box. every cross member had their own separate parcel.

Assembly: 4/5

easy as making lego blocks, 7 guage steel lego blocks that is. though it would definitely help having 1 1/2 inch sockets but 99% of us would probably end up getting two channel lock wrenches for 8 bucks at wally world for these MASSIVE Bolts. starting from the ground up with the numbers orienting outward its really no brainer. doing it with two people took about 30 min, by yourself your looking at perhaps 1.5 hours and a good forearm workout with the 24 1" bolts in my particular model

Construction: 5/5

you can say overkill. I say necessary.. with the specs of 7 gauge 3x3 steel throughout. but at this point I wouldn't want to lift in a rack of any less caliber. the shipping weight weighed in at 616 pounds in total. I feel safe and secure knowing this rack can handle any amount of weight I (or 10 of me) can possibly throw at it. I DID NOT BOLT THIS DOWN, nor do feel it necessary to do so. I did take precautions by purchasing a stabilizer bar (extra crossmember) for the rear facing section in the bottom, as well as 4 weight posts. try as I may but even without any weight loaded this thing is SOLID and is difficult enough to reposition with 2 200+ pound men, much less weighted down. I kip and swing on the pull up bar up @ 8 feet and it doesn't budge.

Workout Economy: 3/5

my garage is the standard 20 x 20 ft. the rack occupies approximately 50 x 50 inches. I purchased the 100" version as my ceiling is 9 ft tall. inside is 43 x 43 of space to lift, I dedicated 1/6 of my garage for this beast. inside I can squat with sumo stance. the cross members are high enough for me to push jerk inside the darn thing. I have hang snatched and clean in here. though I don't feel going heavy as the j cups would be an issue with a missed clean/snatch. standard Dead lifting is a big disappointment for me as the bar would touch the bottom cross member when loaded with hi temps. though im sure this problem is easily fixed with stall mats on either ends. I have figured out a way to deadlift off the straps and its awesome, at only 2 inches off the ground. plenty of room to curl in here too! this rack is big enough to be a miniature gym! with all of the possible upgrades and accessories.

Safeties: 4/5

okay initially these are a pain to put on, there's like 16 steps. you got to secure each strap end to the leg via this large 5 pound contraption with a hitch pin that has this spring loaded mechanism that hurts like a M***** when it snaps at your finger nail! but hey I have had it for like 2 days and I am already getting used to it/faster. it helps to note the spots u use the most with tape or remember the numbers. now the positives is that it looks frickin bad a** ALOT quieter than pin pipes and a lot easier on the bar/knurl. also there is approximately 6 inches of contact with the bar which is a good amount. I actually use these straps as jerk blocks! I also hear that these things are rated for 10,000 pounds. when I bench press I do set the straps near my face higher, I tried to bail a few times and when I do it doesn't come near my face, but there is enough play for you to get full ROM. will note any future problems/catastrophic injury if I come across any.

Aesthetics: 5/5

not many people like the holes everywhere look. not everywhere likes the matte black only look. but hey I think it looks sexy as hell. I also got the nameplate which really make this piece stand out.

Value: 3/5

I payed about 2300 dollars. okay honestly you don't need this.. you probably will never squat 1000 pounds and deadlift a ton to shake this monster. sure you can buy a smaller rack AND a ghd or c2 rower and still hit your genetic peak while your at it.. I have contemplated this over and over but if your anything like me you probably hate to buy something and think about the next BIG thing. but for practicality purposes? overkill ? but why not buy a rack you can give to your great grand kids and be proud of

Upgrades & Accessories: 5/5

I purchased from this company because of the modularity, I like being able to upgrade to an R-6 in the future, or I can turn it into an R-3 if I need more space. I like being able to put plate storage anywhere, and the 3x3 orientation of the cross members allows you to do just that, with any accessory in the line, but you have to plan ahead. ie: I was not able to place both sets of plate storage on the ground (front/rear) as the stabilizer bar would have got in the way.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:37 AM   #2
Ricardo Leopando

Profile:
Re: RM-4 Monster Rack Initial Review

pictures 1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131111_164431.jpg
Views:	1834
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	13050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Monster.jpg
Views:	5833
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	13051   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131111_232908.jpg
Views:	5524
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	13052   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131112_231925.jpg
Views:	1102
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	13053   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131112_231913.jpg
Views:	1088
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	13054  

Old 11-13-2013, 01:39 AM   #3
Ricardo Leopando

Profile:

pictures 2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131112_231939.jpg
Views:	1737
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	13055   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131112_231902.jpg
Views:	1550
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	13056   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1256
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	13057   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131112_231956.jpg
Views:	953
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	13058   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131111_233112.jpg
Views:	1074
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	13059  

Old 11-13-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Looks great but did you really put a tv where I think you did?
Old 11-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilson View Post
It looks like he did.

I gotta say, though - I have an iPad bracket on the wall in my garage gym, and I love it. I'll get my out the barbell and use the iPad to get some personal coaching from Pendlay or EliteFTS via youtube.

I wouldn't watch TV while lifting however.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
Ricardo Leopando

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilson View Post
oh yeah! a 40 inch tv fits perfectly between the uprights, actually better than a mirror so i dont have to look at my self while i squat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
It looks like he did.

I gotta say, though - I have an iPad bracket on the wall in my garage gym, and I love it. I'll get my out the barbell and use the iPad to get some personal coaching from Pendlay or EliteFTS via youtube.

I wouldn't watch TV while lifting however.
i have a smart tv. i can put on youtube and watch my fav subs like xfit, mark bell, kstar, calstrength, kendrick ferris, etc. its pretty cool watching lifting vids on youtube in between working sets