CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-13-2006, 09:26 PM   #1
Neal Winkler

Profile:
I did a search of the board and found virtually no discussion of the site http://theomnivore.com

It's a pro-Paleo, anti-saturated-fat-and-cholesterol-are-bad-for-the-heart site by a man named Anthony Colpo. He had a little debate with Cordain through an intermediary here.

Has anyone seen this site before? I'm going to start looking at his sources ASAP, but so far it's very interesting.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:36 PM   #2
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Anthony is a brilliant guy who genuinely knows what he's talking about. Everything he says is scientifically substantiated and he has little patience for those who are merely perpetuating fallacies and half-truths (Cordain on saturated fat and cholesterol). Great stuff!
Old 05-14-2006, 09:11 AM   #3
Rob McBee

Profile:
Why wasn't there more discussion of high GI carbs and elevated insulin's role in heart disease? There was this from Cordain's writings[see below] but Colpo didn't address it and just focused on saturated fat like thats the only piece of the puzzle.

"Hence foods with high glycemic loads such as those made with refined sugars and grains may also operate synergistically with high dietary saturated fats to promote atherosclerosis. Additionally, high-glycemic-load carbohydrates are positively correlated with plasma concentrations of C reactive protein, an important marker for systemic inflammation, a key element of the atherosclerotic process, as I previously noted."

Though paleolithic people's precise diet is hard to verify, I will state with absolute certainty that they weren't eating cupcakes and drinking Pepsi.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:20 AM   #4
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
From what I understand Colpo periodically eats plates of pasta and some dried fruit in order to improve his endurance bike rides. I wouldn't say that he is not anti carb but he does focus on fats because it's not commonly accepted that saturated fats are good, while it is commonly accepted that too much sugar is bad. He's just chosing a battle.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:02 AM   #5
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Colpo is a low carb guy. When he doesn't do very intense exercise and only lifts weights he follows a ketogenic diet. He realizes that some glycogen is necessary for intense exercise and follows a TKD accordingly. I understand where he's coming from when he eats grains and dried fruit to get his carbs. It's not logical to eat pounds and pounds of vegetables in order to get the glycogen you need for intense exercise. Instead using much more carb dense items like pasta is a much more efficient way to get carbs in. Colpo absolutely realizes that paleo people didn't eat sugary foods and has mentioned it on his site many times. His main argument is that the conventional health establisthment is completely unnjustified in their belief that saturated fat and cholesterol play any role in heart disease. He has the literature to back up his claims and the "authorities" don't. Colpo is much more on point with the paleo issue than Cordain, IMHO.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:12 PM   #6
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Cordain's point is that beyond a certain % of fats consumed too much sat. fat opens the door to POTENTIAL problems. The bottom line is that sat fat was rarely in high concentrations in the ancestral diet and was always within certain percentages because of the accompanying poly's and monos.

Colpo is like Fallon and Enig in my opinion in that they have lots of good information but have chossen to take what Cordain says completely out of context. Cordain has never said excess sat. fat absolutely will cause pathology but he has made the point that it can open some doors to problems especially if other nutritional and environmental irritants are present.

Old 05-16-2006, 10:53 AM   #7
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Robb, I see what your saying. However, Cordain HAS called saturated fats "artery-clogging saturated fat" and has knocked other diet authors that recommend strict carb restrictions, suggesting that their diets are very harmful. Despite this, Cordain has no proof that these diets are harmful. In fact, many people benefit from strict low carb diets, my self being one of them. Also, where is the evience that saturated fat can even open doors for problems when otyher factors are present? How do we know that it's the saturated fat that causes/exasberates the problems when it's mixed with other life style habits when it could simply just be the poor lifestyle habits? Also, paleo people likely did eat high quanitities (atleast higher than what Cordain says) of saturated fat, given the fact that the large mammmals that were hunted to extinction by eartly humans contained generous quantties of saturated fat. Not trying to be nuisance here, just debating respectfully.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:11 AM   #8
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Greg, I don't think grassfed meat, which all those large mammals were, has a high proportion of saturated fat. I can't find an analysis offhand, but I've seen one before and saturated fat in grassfed beef is lower than in grainfed beef.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:19 AM   #9
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
I think marbling is lesser in grassfed but there is plenty of saturated fat in other places.

Old 05-16-2006, 12:03 PM   #10
Neal Winkler

Profile:
I think Colpo's point in the debate was that even though game meat is lower in saturated fat, that the large animals that existed during the paleolithic would of still offered large quanties of saturated fat.

Think of it this way: 5% of 10 is small number but 5% of 1,000,000 is a big number. Wolly mammoths are a big number.