CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-23-2005, 08:24 PM   #1
Joseph Blaire

Profile:
Hey all,
since everybody here swears by the Zone I definently want to try it. I'm 5'7 150 pounds, I don't know my exact BF, but the Zone online calculator has me at 13 %. So I guess that puts me at three 5 blocks and meals and two 1 block snacks. With the help of the May 2004 Cf journal it seems easy enough. Here's my questions :

1) From the five blocks meal menu in the May 2004 Journal, I'll give a meal example and my question :
Deli Sandwich 2 slices bread
4 1/2 oz deli meat
2 oz cheese
5 Tbs avocado
1/2 apple

Alright, doesn't this meal have more then 5 blocks for protein ? it's about 6.5 blocks protein.

2) Once you get down to the BF level you want, then you at fat blocks right ? Well how do you know how many fat blocks to add ? How many too each meal ? Then do you have to lower your protein and carbs to keep the Zone ratio ? This is where i'm really confused. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-23-2005, 11:55 PM   #2
Pat Janes

Profile:

Those more knowledgeable will no doubt weight in also, Joseph. However...

1) Deli meat is 1 1/2 oz per block, not 1oz as per most meat protein sources, as it is pumped full of water.

2) Right. How many to add? Not really sure myself, but I'm pretty sure Nicole has said to add 1 block at a time and measure effect/performance. If you need more fat, you will know it, as your performance will have suffered.

And no, you do not need to maintain your Zone ratios. Once you start adding extra fat, you are no longer doing 40/30/30. A lot of the criticisms against the Zone for athletic performance seem to be due to the fact that this element is not well understood.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:10 AM   #3
Joseph Blaire

Profile:
Is all Deli meat pumped full of water ? Even the all natural turkey breast, I get right from the Deli guy at the Grocery store ? Does ground beef have water as well ? Because another 5 block meal in the CF Journal calls for 6 0z of meat.

If you add 1 block of fat at a tie is that one block a week, untill you hit your goal ?

Old 05-24-2005, 12:33 PM   #4
Nicole Carroll

Profile:
Hi Joseph-

I think 5's and 2's (17 blocks per day) is high given your #'s. What is your activity level - workouts, lifestyle etc?

Generally I stick with block chart prescriptions for quantity - it has worked well for me. I believe it is density of protein per serving that determines quantity per block - water and fat will add weight but not protein this is why it is 1.5 oz. per block. If your meat is super lean you could use 1 oz. but personally i would not want to error on the side of too low protein - especially if my carbs are from bread.

When you get as lean as you want to be add fat at one block per 3-5 days until you reach your goal. You do not need to change other ratios.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:05 PM   #5
Joseph Blaire

Profile:
My activity level is WOD 3 days on one off as RX'd. I'm going to start taking Krav Maga classes about twice a week soon. Other then that just walking to and from work. When you start adding fat blocks does it matter what meals you add them to ?
Old 05-30-2005, 11:55 AM   #6
Joseph Blaire

Profile:
It looks like this thread is going to get buried. If anyone can answer my last question i'd appreciate it.:uhoh:
Old 05-30-2005, 08:31 PM   #7
Nicole Carroll

Profile:
Hi Joseph-

Thanks for resurrecting the thread - sorry i missed it.

Try 15 blocks per day to start.

When it is time for fat blocks to be added they should be added to every meal.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:55 PM   #8
Joseph Blaire

Profile:
Thanks Nicole,
I just want to make sure i'm getting this right.When it's time to start adding fat, add one block of fat to every meal and snack.See how you feel after 3-5 days, and if needed add another block of fat to every meal and snack, repeat.

Old 05-31-2005, 07:59 PM   #9
Nicole Carroll

Profile:
If you go from 1x fat (also know as "flat fat") to 2x fat, you add 2 times the total meal blocks. For example if you were creating a 4 block meal with 2x fat...You would have 4 blocks protein, 4 blocks carb and 8 (4x2) blocks of fat. You repeat this at every meal.

Do you have CrossFit Journal #21?

Old 05-31-2005, 09:15 PM   #10
Joseph Blaire

Profile:
Thanks Nicole ,I finally get it ( I do have CF Journal# 21).