CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-12-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
Amber Myers-Hart

Profile:
Severe headaches and neck pain

Okay folks, I would love some advice here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been having severe headaches along with neckpain since April 5, 2011. The night before this started I did a WOD consisting of:

21-15-9
Weighted step-ups/18 inch box/25 lb. dumbbells
Manmakers/25 lb. dumbells

I woke up in the middle of the night feeling dizzy/nauseous with a pounding head. The pain is located at the base of my skull. My scalp is also very tender with some areas that make me jump when push on them. For approximately three weeks the pain was horrible. It plateaued after that and has remained the same for the last three months. I still have daily headaches and I'm able to make it through the work day; however, by the end of the day my head hurts so back I can't even think about doing a WOD. I tried going back at week four to six, but everytime I tried to work out, my headaches worsened. I tried to do another WOD involving me carrying heavy weight and it brought the headache back to where it was in the beginning so I decided to take a break from WODs until I figure out what is going on.

At first my doctor put me on antibiotics for a sinus infection. Didn't work so he referred me for my 1st CT, which came back clear. He referred me to a neurologist who did another CT and an MRI. Both came back clear. She has decided it is a migraine and wants me to take blood pressure meds to see if it helps. I totally do not agree with her. I don't think it's a migraine. I had my eyes checked. I had my hormones checked. I have had several massages. I have been going to a chiropractor three times a week since April and still no relief. The last couple of visits the chiropractor he has done some trigger point massage on the supoccipital area, which is very painful, but does seem to relieve the pressure a bit. I don't want to go on nerve medication, which is what my neurologist wants to do if the blood pressure meds don't work. I also don't want to get injections of any kind in my neck. My headaches seem to trigger when I have to sit in one position for too long, ie. at my desk at work, when I'm driving or when I'm watching TV. If I'm up moving around it doesn't seem to bother me as much. I don't know what else to do and I'm getting very discouraged because not only am I in daily pain, I can't work out. If anybody has experienced this and found relief, or has any knowledge that would be useful, please share. Thanks!!
Old 07-12-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
Megan Zetter

Profile:
Re: Severe headaches and neck pain

Has the chiro given you home care instructions such as exercises and ergonomic advice? I hope they are not just adjusting and working on your muscles, if so, you need to find one who will give you appropriate rehab that you can do for yourself.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
Amber Myers-Hart

Profile:

He has given me stretches to do for my neck and back. He also told me I need to strengthen my back more because my shoulders are rounded forward, which might be part of the problem. I will be honest and say I probably haven't been stretching as consistently as I should be. I try to move around and stretch at work as much as possible, but sometimes I fall short. As far as strengthening, I haven't done much of anything since late May because everytime I try to excercise my head feels like it's going to explode.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Might be a good idea to hit up a NUCCA chiro and see if the are any particular adjustments that may need to be done up there.

Any TMJ issues as well?

As far as upper crossed syndrome goes, neck stretches are good but foam rolling t-spine is better.

Lifting the chest (chest proud) position to tension the abs naturally pushes everything back into alignment which is why I prefer focusing on this instead.

Chest up and out pushes the shoulder back, and the head must go level to compensate which pulls it back from being craned out.