CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
David Boucaut

Profile:
neck injury causing shoulderr spasms

MRI results

MRI c5/6 disc protrusion with annular tear lifting the prsterior longitudinal ligament and indenting the anterior thecal sac but not resulting in canal foraminal stenosis.

comment
There is a focal c5/6 disc protrusion to the right of the midline with annular tear and lifting of the postereior longitudinal ligament but no foraminal or canal compromise

causing shoulder spasms when I sleep after weight training . need some ideas on how to free it up ?
Old 07-09-2011, 05:39 AM   #2
Donnette Lewis

Profile:
Re: neck injury causing shoulderr spasms

Do you have access to a Tens unit? Either the Doc can prescribe one or I know someone got theirs from Amazon.com for $25. Use it daily for ~1/2 before going out for the nite.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Boucaut View Post
MRI results

MRI c5/6 disc protrusion with annular tear lifting the prsterior longitudinal ligament and indenting the anterior thecal sac but not resulting in canal foraminal stenosis.

comment
There is a focal c5/6 disc protrusion to the right of the midline with annular tear and lifting of the postereior longitudinal ligament but no foraminal or canal compromise

causing shoulder spasms when I sleep after weight training . need some ideas on how to free it up ?
Visit a physical therapist to restore proper segmental motion in your cervical spine, strengthen your neck, re-train posture, improve form in trouble movements, etc. You can't really do that on your own. A professional is definitely needed here.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnette Lewis View Post
Do you have access to a Tens unit? Either the Doc can prescribe one or I know someone got theirs from Amazon.com for $25. Use it daily for ~1/2 before going out for the nite.
That only addresses the symptoms, but doesn't address the mechanical issues contributing to the condition itself. That's like constantly injuring your hip and then just taking ibuprofen for it. It doesn't mean the problem's gone - just not felt.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
Megan Zetter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Boucaut View Post
MRI results

comment

Imaging of a disc protrusion does not equate to the cause of your shoulder muscle spasms. A lot of people of disc herniations and are completely asymptomatic. I suggest you see a chiro or PT who can assess the musculature and or dysfunction as well as the cervical spine.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan Zetter View Post
Imaging of a disc protrusion does not equate to the cause of your shoulder muscle spasms. A lot of people of disc herniations and are completely asymptomatic. I suggest you see a chiro or PT who can assess the musculature and or dysfunction as well as the cervical spine.
I agree. Disc issues MAY have to do with it but not necessarily.

See a professional about this