CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-22-2007, 08:09 AM   #1
Mathew F. Bunch

Profile:
The following question was posed to me this morning: "What does [the jumping pull up] work?" My response wasn't well thought out at the time and probably wasn't very convincing, so here goes:

My answer will be specifically in the context of the Filthy Fify WOD, as the question was posed by a couple guys doing that particular WOD (so this thread could just as easily fall into the WOD portion of the message board-I'll leave that to Lynne to determine).

The jumping pull up increases the efficiency with which you move your body over a given distance thereby allowing you to perform more work over a given amount of time. If you perform 50 strict push ups, you may have to break them up into sets of 10 with 30 seconds to a minute rest (this would mean you have 2.5 minutes of rest time alone, never mind that you will get to catch your breath during these rest breaks also), versus a straight set of jumping pull ups which may take 45-90 seconds. You would be moving your bodyweight the same distance (the bottom to the top of the movement), but in the case of the strict pull-up you will be moving it over a period of 3-4 minutes, versus under 2 minutes for the jumping pull ups, so although you may not be taxing the lats as much (you have to stop thinking like a bodybuilder), your power output is greater and the overall effect is to make the total workout harder.

The jumping pull-up also incorporates more muscle groups into the exercise. While this makes it easier to perform more repititions of the exercise, when performed alone it provides more of a total body workout and adds a plyometric component to the exercise. In the context of the Filthy Fifty, you also tax muscles that will come into play in subsequent sets (push press, wall ball shots, and burpees).

At any rate, hope that addresses your question.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:57 PM   #2
Michael Stehle

Profile:
We use them a lot in our groups. I tell my clients that we use them for metabolic conditioning purposes as opposed to strength.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:29 PM   #3
Daniel Fannin

Profile:
After doing 50 box jumps and then 50 jumping pull-ups, I can feel it in my legs at rep 48-49 for the latter. Not much really, just a nice little "Hello, your legs are here!"

I'll defer to someone who knows better than me, but your explanation sounds about about right. Just one thing I would add - I've noticed that taking the time to actually explain it doesn't usually work. I spend my efforts trying to get curious people to try it first, and when they feel the effects and wonder about it, I explain as best I can. Oh, and I always reference Crossfit so they can get ahold of someone that knows more than me.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:09 PM   #4
Israel Halperin

Profile:
i use it alot too,when i am fresh, i take less momentuom with my legs for the jump and thereby increase the usage of my upper body.
towards the end of the set i will take
a bigger jump for the pull up and thereby increase the use of my legs.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:21 PM   #5
Justin Algera

Profile:
Well, when I do alot of them, they are great for working my gag reflex :biggrin:...
Old 01-23-2007, 07:07 AM   #6
Christine Crawford

Profile:
I do them because I can't do unassisted pull-ups yet. After 100 jumping pull-ups, I feel it!

Christine
Old 01-23-2007, 07:55 AM   #7
Bill Russell

Profile:
What do most of you do, a jump pullup then drop to the floor, or jump pullup with a slow full-negative release to the floor?

I mix them up myself, but mainly do the full-negatives, so I get the metcon work while also building my deadhang PU numbers.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:19 AM   #8
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I really can feel it in the back of my arms from that workout. Bill -- I think the answer is lower yourself as slowly as you can to the floor. Just jumping up and jumping down isn't going to do much, I wouldn't think.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:51 AM   #9
Mathew F. Bunch

Profile:
I should clarify-there was a workout a while back that described the jumping pullup as follows: set the bar about 9" below your max reach. The bottom of the movement should be arms fully extended, the top of the movement is the same as a regular pull-up (that is, neck/chest to the bar).

My take on the question regarding negatives is your goal for the exercise within the context of the specific workout you are doing. If the workout is designed to improve pull ups i.e. you are substituting jumping pull ups for regular pull ups in a workout like (one pull the first minute, two the second, etc), I would recommend slow negatives as this will make the maximum contribution to speeding you towards doing the pull ups unassisted.

However in a workout like the filthy fifty, the goal is to get through the exercise in the shortest amount of time possible. My recommendation would be that your effort on the negatives mimic that of a regular pull up (for that is to simply get back to the starting position in a controlled manner). You will be moving your bodyweight through the same range of motion in a shorter amount of time i.e. your power output will be higher. BTW, in this case the reduced contraction of your pull up muscles will be compensated for by the increased load on your legs during the eccentric contraction and reduction in the stretch-shortening reflex at the bottom of the movement (not sure if that is the correct terminology or not) when your legs are transitioning from eccentric to concentric contraction. In other words, there is a significantly greater plyometric effect (legs and arms) when you don't attempt to artificially slow the drop in the pull up.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:06 PM   #10
Skylar Cook

Profile:
Oh... I've been doing jumping pullups quite wrong... I didn't want to download the video to see them(40-some odd megabytes!), so I winged it- the bar I used was about 6-8" ABOVE my max reach... One hell of a filthy fifty workout. No wonder I was so tired for the rest of it. Ouch. However, I may do those again in the future- they by necessity improved my jumping form, my hand coordination, and made for an explosive transition from jump to pull (once I grabbed the bar)... I'm hurting today.

(Message edited by surfreak on January 23, 2007)