CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-19-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
Tim Squires

Profile:
Rope Climbs in Short Ceiling Garage?

Cutting into the ceiling or hanging from the attic is out of the question. Ceiling height is about 9.5'. Are there any good solutions/compromises to hanging a rope in this kind of situation? Thanks.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
Ron Murray

Profile:
Re: Rope Climbs in Short Ceiling Garage?

unable to put one outside?

if you have to hang it from the ceiling in the garage the best thing to do is just change the way you or your athletes climb. Obviously 15' totally balls out accents it out of the question so having the athlete start from a seated position or from the knees and limiting the role that the foot plays in the climb might be a good alternative. It's not the best at developing great rope climbs techniques because of the scaling, but it will serves it's purpose and if programmed correctly can provide quite the challenge.

Also not a bad way to develop the no foot L-sit climb, it's a lot safer given the limited room.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
Tim Squires

Profile:

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately hanging outside also doesn't work. I've contemplated just working the seated climbs...Does anyone have experience with a similar situation that could provide insight/pics?

Also, what size/type or rope would be best for my scenario? Thanks again.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

I have one in my garage as well. I haven't found a way to decently practice actual rope climbs using the feet. I just use it for legless climbs from a sit. Or sometimes laying on your back and pulling your body up the rope like a row. And sometimes we loop it over the bar for rope pullups like Eva did....

http://www.cathletics.com/gallery/video.php?videoID=1 (WFS)

Last year we had some trees in a park near by and I would take it to the park sometimes to practice real climbs. But after a tornado whipped through there the trees are gone, lol.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:10 PM   #5
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I basically have a short rope from Rogue that I hand from my power rack since I don't have the 15' ceiling in my basement. I either do rope pullups with no help from the feet, or like for the 3 min rope climb workout, I do rope pullups with my feet in a wrapped position, not ideal but some other possible subs/scalings.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
Tyler Jensen

Profile:

I’ve got an 11’ ceiling in my garage with a rope hung from the ceiling. It works great. I just do seated legless L-climbs up and down. I find this is a great work out and works just fine. I also figure that since I’m over 6’ tall that by the time I start climbing on a 15’ rope from the standing position I am really only climbing about 7.5’ anyways which is probably about the same as what I am climbing on the 11’ rope from a seated position.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #7
Tim Squires

Profile:

Thanks for all of the replies. Any input on size/type? I was thinking the 6' short rope from rogue. Other alternatives? Would I regret not gettig a rope that hangs to the ground? What's the best way to hang these ropes from a finished ceiling?
Old 01-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #8
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Tim,
I'm 5'6" and I have the short rope from Rogue. I hang it from my power rack chin bar that is just over 7' tall. Being short, I'm able to put my top hand at the very top of the rope and then just have enough room to clench my feet on the bottom. The rope works for this,but I wish I had an extra foot or two on the rope so I could wrap it better on my feet when trying to mimic a climbing motion instead of just a rope pullup. With your higher ceiling I think it would be great if you could get something that goes from ceiling to floor--I think it will provide you with more options.
Bob
Old 01-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Check out knotandrope.com (WFS) for the purchase (1 1/2" manila). I would definitely order enough rope to hang all the way to the floor. If a little additional rope on the ground doesn't bother you, I'd buy 17' of rope, put an eye splice in one end, that way if you ever wanted to take it to a park or somewhere you could do some actual 15' rope climbs working the foothold techniques.

I recently went from 12' 6" seated climbs to a full 15' climb and I would say they were about even, as long as you lower yourself back to seated on the ground.

Tim
Old 01-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #10
Jesse Gray

Profile:

I went horizontal with mine. Basically, I have a rope that runs along the ceiling. I have found that is if anything, more difficult than a vertical rope climb.