CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 02-10-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
James Frederick

Profile:
Kipping Form Check

I've been working on my kipping pullups for a while now and I still can't seem to quite get it down. Does anyone have some useful info for me?

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbPvZhi16_s
Old 02-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
Brad Motzer

Profile:
Re: Kipping Form Check

I am far from an expert in this area, but it appears that you're bailing out of the backswing to try to go vertical too soon. When watching Tucker teach the Kip in the CFJ, he has Annie demonstrate the full swing without the vertical pull. She gets so far back in the swing that she's actually launched vertically to where her hands start to come off the bar. He talks a lot about keeping the hollow position through the forward and backswing and it just appears you're losing that a little too soon. Hope that helps.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
James Frederick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Motzer View Post
I am far from an expert in this area, but it appears that you're bailing out of the backswing to try to go vertical too soon. When watching Tucker teach the Kip in the CFJ, he has Annie demonstrate the full swing without the vertical pull. She gets so far back in the swing that she's actually launched vertically to where her hands start to come off the bar. He talks a lot about keeping the hollow position through the forward and backswing and it just appears you're losing that a little too soon. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the info, I'm not subscribed to the CFJ yet though, so I'm not sure what part exactly you are talking about. Can you expound a bit more on the "hollow position"?
Old 02-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Here's what helped me and my wife get kipping down...

Kipping is not done with the legs but with the hips. When you are swinging through you should loosen up your shoulders and open your hips letting your legs trail behind you. Let your chest lead on your swing through not your legs.

Then when you begin the swing back violently close your hips and shoulders which will bring your legs up (which is what makes it look like the legs but it really isn't leg driven).

It looks like your push away from the bar is actually pretty good. Keep those shoulders looser through the swing and lead with the chest and the rest will follow.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
Greg Safko

Profile:

Here is a little trick that I show people when they are first trying to learn the kip. It will help get the initial movement down, and also get you used to the "feel" of the swing.

Start off hanging from the bar. Now with little swing, move your head in front of your shoulders, and then at the same time, your hips behind your shoulders. Now quickly reverse. Move your head behind your shoulders, and your hips in front. Id start off with your legs completely straight, just to start and get the proper swing down, after you are more accustom to the kip, your legs will start finding new positions to fall in.

If you do this slowly you will start to build up that rhythm. Gradually start speeding up and as you build that momentum you will start to feel the "point" where you will want to pull up.

Hope this helps, seems that you have the strength down, just the technique needs a little more practice. Great job so far, keep working on it!
Old 02-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #6
Matthew Campato

Profile:

Hey James. I agree with most everything thats been said except for one thing, and kipping for everyone is different but that being said. If I remember correctly Tucker said that the kip movement is not the hips going forward but the feet. Thats why he encourages everyone to point their toes. Its not a changing of the hip angle. In his video about teaching the kipping pull-up(and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE grab a subscription to the Journal. Best $25 I have ever spent on what I consider an essential part of any home gym.) Tucker talks about the hallow being more of a contraction of the abs. Easiest way to get an idea is to lay on your back, hands above your head and contract and pull your body almost into a "C" shape. Then roll over and do like a superman on your stomach. It's hard to describe without showing I guess but I hope it helps.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:59 AM   #7
Agustin Gabiola

Profile:

I found a great video on http://www.atomiccrossfit.com/crossf...ix-n-vids.html that helped me a lot with kipping.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #8
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

The video above is WFS. Great Video! That page has some other good ones too.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
Agustin Gabiola

Profile:

I was at work posting and got ahead of myself and didnt post that it was WFS. Thanks. They do have a lot of great stuff on their site.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #10
Nik Nichols

Profile:

James, I looked at your video befor and couldn't figure out what was bothering me. looking again I see you are holding your legs up after you kip and pull. At the top of the pullups you still have your legs slightly up and abs tight.
As soon as you ''knee'' up you should be throwing your legs back for the next rep, or atleast be un tense.