CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
Thomas P. Fox

Profile:
Exclamation Neck pain and headaches!

3 days ago, I began a workout with OHS with a weight that wasn't too hard for me (#115). About 7 quick squats in, I felt a crazy pain from the base of my neck into the back of my head. The pain was slightly throbbing, but felt almost like a small spasm. I also felt a headache in the back and temperal regions of my head. I quit immediately. I could feel the pain every so often throughout the day, took the next day off, and when I ran the following morning the headache came back. Earlier today, I began C&J and only got a couple reps in before I felt the pain return in force when I put the weight overhead. The headache is a constant, light pain- especially when I move my neck quickly around or shake my head.

I assume that my form is the cause, but I fear a minor, however legitimate, injury to my neck or c-spine. (worry wart) Does anyone have any experience or knowledge with neck injuries?
Old 01-24-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Neck pain and headaches!

Most people crane their neck in OHS because they lack the proper shoulder mobility to keep it neutral. Craning the neck allows the user to get more thoracic extension + shoulder retraction because they have poor mobility there.

So basically, you need to keep your head neutral in line with your spine, and work on your thoracic and shoulder mobility so that you don't have to crane your neck.

Craning neck = tightening of the posterior muscles of the neck/head = potential for headaches, shooting pain, etc. as the nerves are compressed in an awkward hyperextension position.

Heat+ deep tissue massage to all of the muscles in your neck to loosen stuff up. Get some fish oil for anti-inflammation.

Take some time off.

Work on your thoracic + shoulder mobility. Foam roll your t-spine with a 45s on your chest and extend your t-spine + wall slides/band dislocates
Old 01-24-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Most people crane their neck in OHS because they lack the proper shoulder mobility to keep it neutral. Craning the neck allows the user to get more thoracic extension + shoulder retraction because they have poor mobility there.

So basically, you need to keep your head neutral in line with your spine, and work on your thoracic and shoulder mobility so that you don't have to crane your neck.

Craning neck = tightening of the posterior muscles of the neck/head = potential for headaches, shooting pain, etc. as the nerves are compressed in an awkward hyperextension position.

Heat+ deep tissue massage to all of the muscles in your neck to loosen stuff up. Get some fish oil for anti-inflammation.

Take some time off.

Work on your thoracic + shoulder mobility. Foam roll your t-spine with a 45s on your chest and extend your t-spine + wall slides/band dislocates
I wrote something similar to Steven's reply this morning, but then somehow erased it, and was too frustrated to write it again. Without seeing your form I think that is what has caused your problem.

With most lifts, DL, Cleans, OHS, BS, FS, etc...keep your head neutral. Imagine needing to keep a tennis ball between your chin and sternum. Most lifts keeping your eyes on the ground approx. 8 feet in front of you on the floor will increase strength of your lifts, and prevent injuries like you have now.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
Thomas P. Fox

Profile:

Thank you for the suggestions.

I did Cindy tonight and got the pain around my fifth round. Maybe I do need rest. How long should I rest? Week or more? I can't rest too much, because of required pt at my AIT, but I could stop two-a-days.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:59 AM   #5
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas P. Fox View Post

I did Cindy tonight and got the pain around my fifth round. Maybe I do need rest. How long should I rest? Week or more? I can't rest too much, because of required pt at my AIT, but I could stop two-a-days.
Rest and recovery vary for everyone. As long as your body needs. Overtraining and/or not properly recovering from an injury will cause more harm long-term. I'd stop the 2 a days if possible. Give yourself a week.
Massage, ice, stretch in the meantime.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas P. Fox View Post

If you keep aggravating it by doing foolish stuff like this it could take months.