CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 03-04-2009, 10:19 AM   #1
Neil Fonseca

Profile:

Kipping Pullup Form Check

I was only able to get one as I didnt feel like I was in a good enough position at the top to effectively push off the bar horizontally. I had recorded another one but accidentally deleted it. After a couple of these, I was pretty fatigued and couldn't do any more. I can't see what is wrong with my form, but as it is right now, it basically feels like a faster deadhang. I can do 5 deadhangs, but only 2 with this current form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFaYvWtC5XQ (WFS)

Also, I did this on my rest day. Please tell me if it is inappropriate to be working on my kip on a rest day. I only ended up doing a couple pullups total, although I spent a while hanging from the bar and my arms got pretty tired, especially my grip.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:32 PM   #2
Greg Harrington

Profile:
Re: Kipping Pullup Form Check

You are making a couple of classic mistakes.

1) You aren't pushing away from the bar at the top of the PU. Really work on pushing away straight arms as your chin comes over the bar. Its a weird feeling but this is what give you the momentum for the swing.

2) The swing comes more from the shoulders than the legs. Work on swinging the shoulders back and forth to get the momentum.

3) Also during the kip, think about bringing the knees up a bit higher and force the hips out as you extend your legs.

One of the videos shows the motion standing on a box. It really helped me. I think this was a cert video. If you cant find it, stand on a box where your head comes over the bar and practice the entire motion, especially the push away.

You'll get it. You're almost there. then you get the joy of figuring out Butterfly kips......
Old 03-05-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
Bob Guere

Profile:

The way the CFHQ trainers teach it does not include the knee drive. They teach the gymnastics kip, which I learned was much more efficient, probably 20-30% more efficient. When I learned it, I could kip about 6 in a row doing it similar to you with the knee drive before the hip. I learned from Jolie how to do the gymnastics-type kip and I was able to do 8 immediately. But take that for what it's worth.

There are quite a few videos on the main site for kipping, give them a look. It's really hard to critique a kip on this forum.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Umm, Boz is part of the CFHQ staff and he teaches it also with a knee/hip drive. It's in a 4 part series under media on the front page.

The standard arch-hollow, "gymnastics kip" is just a big C, hopefully more open in the shoulders than hips that snaps to a hollow/pike as the body pulls up.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Umm, Boz is part of the CFHQ staff and he teaches it also with a knee/hip drive. It's in a 4 part series under media on the front page.

The standard arch-hollow, "gymnastics kip" is just a big C, hopefully more open in the shoulders than hips that snaps to a hollow/pike as the body pulls up.
Yes, you are right. I've seen it taught both ways, and found the "big C" to be more efficient when I learned it that way. But that's me.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
Neil Fonseca

Profile:

Thanks, guys. Some guys on the "Starting" forum were also saying to keep the legs straighter so I'll give that a try. I used the box for while, and maybe it will help some more with pushing off the bar, but I'm trying to transition to the real thing. I've watched all the videos on this site, and I was doing what I thought was the Boz progression. I can't bring my knees any higher than parallel. Also, I was trying to use the shoulders to swing (even though it's quite obvious from the video that I'm using my legs), but I think flexibility is an issue here. I just can't swing out that far in front of the bar before my shoulders pull me back. Would widening my grip work? What do you mean by "big C"?
Old 03-06-2009, 03:33 AM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Big C means really open shoulders, chest forward of the bar, feet behind the bar, hips open as well.

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/eva-on-kipping.wmv

Neil, you just need to gain shoulder flexibility. With the kipping you can actually stress your shoulders too much if you have tight shoulders, so take it a stride at a time (slowly). Going wider will help just a bit but still means you have tight shoulders.

Some people bend their knees to get a bigger "C" arch. They also kick and pike at the hips or initiate the kick with the feet, continue with the knees then pop the hip open to help them propel up.

Even the horizontal arch to hollow or with the foot kick, knee and hip pop is still very similar to the BFK. I just have yet to ever cycle either of those in a rhythm as well as the BFK. I dunno why, but then again I jump rope backwards better than forwards.