CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-02-2007, 12:28 PM   #1
Edward Han

Profile:
I'm recovering from hernia surgery (inguinal hernia), and it's been about 4 weeks since the surgery. I've asked my doctor these same questions, but I wanted to know from people that have had hernia surgery.

Will I ever be able to do situps again, or is this something I'll have to avoid from now on?

Also, how soon if ever, will I be able to stretch my stomach. i.e. lying face down and pushing your upper body up to stretch your stomach? The same with a butterly groin stretch?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:54 PM   #2
Ron Fielder

Profile:
I had this surgery in '98. I can do anything I want and have no problems.
I actually DL 385lbs yesterday. I squat 295lbs.
I run 22 min 5k. I do full GHD situps. I do not have any restricted movement and I am limited by my technique rather than my strength.
You get the point.
I do remember that for a couple of years I had a little discomfort in the area, but that was probably because I was still terribly out of shape.
I would take it easy though and not try to rush back into your full activities, but in the end you should be fine.
Hope that encourages you a bit.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:12 PM   #3
Edward Han

Profile:
It does encourage me. Thanks. I've started some light jogging, but how soon did it take you to start lifting somewhat normal weights, do pullups/pushups, etc.?
Old 05-04-2007, 04:52 AM   #4
Ron Fielder

Profile:
Well, to be honest I was engaging in minor recreational sports like roller blading right away, probably too soon. But at that time I was not into fitness just the 9 to 5 grind and then the bar scene after work. That is probably what contributed to my injury to begin with.
But I have always been into recreational sports and it was no time I would say less than 6 months before I was fully engaged in my normal behavior.
I think the discomfort was pressure on the cord that passes through the inguinal canal rather than the surgery being compromised. This has eased with time.
I have been CFing for 6 months and in that time my back and abs have become so strong that I do not worry about reinjury. I think that you will have the same results but I would caution you to take it easy for awhile. You have plenty of time and CF will always be here waiting for you.
This is a good time to read up on theory and once you can move through your ROM work on technique with your trusty broomstick. You should come back stronger than ever.
Good luck
Old 05-04-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I've had 3 hernia repairs (1 when a baby and 2 as an adult). The last one was done with mesh and I returned to hockey 3 weeks after the operation: turning, shooting, contact (hard but not full on checking), etc. There was a little discomfort at first. I can't remember exactly when I returned to full weightlifting but not long after.

Of course, check with your doctor but with the mesh I think the area is actually stronger than it was before.