CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-16-2007, 11:46 PM   #1
Dave Winchester

Profile:
Well, first post goes to the Injury forum. I've been lurking here and there, just recently started up on the Crossfit protocol which revealed how terrible my conditioning is (I thought it was decent!). One helluva thing going on here.

Anyways, I warmed up with some squats tonight and after I finished my warmup sets I started my first set with 90 kg. On the second rep I felt a shooting soreness go through what felt like the upper part of my glute. It's really hard to say WHERE via text, but - sorry for the description - if one went from the top of the cleft and halway across the glute, that's where I could feel this horrible, deep soreness. It was pretty bad, I was laying down for a bit letting it subside.

It finally did and I reluctantly called it quits for tonight. Anyways, I was fine - there was some minor soreness but nothing serious. That was, until I plopped down onto the couch. I landed on the frame part of the couch (was expecting padding) and suddenly I got this excruciating pain go down my left glute and part way up my lower back and now I have the soreness hanging around my left glute and around what feels like the left gluteus medius but honestly I'm not positive of the muscle there.

Sorry this was so longwinded, but I didn't want to be vague and couldn't really figure how to describe the area. Anyone had this? I don't know if it's a pull or what. I figure maybe I warmed up a bit sloppy (was rushing a bit), and possibly relaxed a little in the bottom position of the squat. I can't really think of what else might've happened, the weight wasn't heavy and I wasn't struggling under it.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:46 PM   #2
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Muscle strains can happen at the most inopertune times. For example, I'm a very seasoned deadlifter with some series weights pulled in my past. Be that as it may, this past Fall, I injured myself pulling 315. Strained my right groin. My work sets for that day was going to be 595 for 3 sets of 5. Just to put it into perspective.

I can't tell when you posted this, but has the strain improved? My fear is that the pain may be radiating down your leg. I can't really tell from your description. But if that's true, you should go see an orthopedist or, at least, a chiropractor.

Odds are, it's just a muscle strain. As long as it didn't turn black and blue, it shouldn't be a tear. However, there is a small percentage of people who can tear muscles without edema/brusing.

Just play it by ear. Ice it, rest it. You may also want to invest in some Rehband warm pants. The only place you can get them in North America (that I know of) is jackals Gym. This is a work and family safe link www.jackalsgym.com They are great for keeping the hips, lower back, and upper thighs warm.

As I age, I find that I need to do about 20 to 30 mintues of mild cardio, then stretch, then begin my workout. I wear the warm pants throughout the entire process. I also wear the warm pants on my upper body days.

I hope this helps?

All the best,
Arden
Old 03-20-2007, 10:22 PM   #3
Will Nuse

Profile:
I know next to nothing about medical stuff other than what I pick up from my dad and sister, which means I'm the most dangerous kind of medical bozo: I know not of which I speak, so take it all with a big grain of salt, okay?

That said, the first thing that popped into my head when I read this was something happened to your sciatic nerve. I was just reading a blog on massage therapy with regards to trigger point massage and ran across something called Piriformis Syndrome (link work family safe). It's a possibility that you pulled a muscle (maybe the piriformis) during the deadlifts, which off your sciatic nerve, and when you dropped down on the edge of the couch, you really set it off.

Something else to consider is which glute it was. You might have been irritating your sciatic nerve with your wallet for some time, especially if you have a big thick one like a lot of folks. Either get a thinner one like a All-ett (link work/family safe) or don't carry it in your back pocket.