CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 07-08-2006, 07:09 PM   #1
Jack Q W Cantwell

Profile:
My basic question: Is it unusual to be unable to fully recover on the 3 days on, 1 day off schedule?

Background: I've been doing CF pretty regularly now since March of this year, when I began with the "beginner program" in CFJ #9. Due to a lot of false starts, it took me a lot longer than 12 weeks, and I ended up abandoning it after I finished the 8th week because of its repetitive nature: although I was making excellent gains, I was getting bored.

Now I've done 2 WOD cycles and I find that I'm not really getting enough rest. My evidence: even though they're not prescribed, I did pullups pretty much every day during the beginning period, and I made some gains (going from a max of 4 to 8), but not what I would've expected over the course of 3 months. Recently, I took a 4 day break from CF due to a crazy schedule and I came back and was able to do 10 pullups (this was in the "dirty dozen" WOD). I felt stronger than I'd felt in a long time. Yet, today, when doing "Lynne", I was only able to do 6 in my first set, and I felt very weak.

My diet has been pretty constant, and I'm accounting for sleep differences.

So I'm wondering, should I modify the WOD schedule, so that I do, say, 1 WOD, next day sprints/running (e.g. 6 x 400m or 6 x 800m), 1 WOD, rest...repeat? This, it seems, would give me one more day to rest my tired upper body and give it my all on the third WOD day, while still allowing me to get a good, intense workout on the intervening day.

I should mention that, due to my history cycling and running, as well as my long & thin physique, my legs are A LOT stronger than my arms/chest/back.

Any thoughts or similar experiences out there?

Thanks in advance,

Jack
Old 07-08-2006, 10:39 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
I find that I work best under a m,w,f workout schedule or a ME m,f with tu,th non-ME in between.

Listen to your body. If you're tired a lot and your muscles don't have a lot to give you may be overtraining to an extent. It's OK to skip a workout here and there to recover enough especially if you've gotten little sleep. Try different workout schedules and see which one works the best for you. Not everyone is the same so you cannot directly rely on what someone else says because what works for them may not work for you. This is the most important thing you can learn for understanding your body and its limits so you can schedule a workout for yourself and not have to rely on others to do it for you.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:39 AM   #3
Jack Q W Cantwell

Profile:
Steven,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try playing around with my schedule a bit and see what works.

Cheers,

Jack
Old 07-09-2006, 09:46 AM   #4
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Im doing 3 on 1 off 2 on 1 off. Its easy to scedule.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:04 AM   #5
John Hoffner

Profile:
I found similar tiredness and soreness on 3/1 schedule, it was also difficult to make time in the day. I practice BJJ and Krav Maga so energy is a precious comodity. Currently I do the WOD mid morning on Monday and Tuesday then Thursday and Friday. 2 on 1 off, 2 off repeat. This has worked for about a month now. I usually manage 2-3 martial arts classes per week at night then a longer 2-3 hour sessions Saturdays. The hardest part about doing anything other than the WOD by itself on 3/1 schedule was ,(to me), energy levels, even attempting to eat zonishly I got sluggish at times or I just can't do as much martial arts or CF as I want to.
This may work for others or may not, but its working for me for now...
Old 07-10-2006, 02:12 PM   #6
Jack Q W Cantwell

Profile:
Well, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one...

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Jack