CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-03-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
Jacob Magnan

Profile:
kipping/jumping pull ups

i dont understand them. I mean i know they arent really "cheating" but what do they do? do they help with strict pull ups? do they involve totally different muscles? someone asked me about it and i didnt know what to say, cause they said they were cheap pull ups or whatever...can someone clear it up for me?
Old 01-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
Alex Nisetich

Profile:
Re: kipping/jumping pull ups

This topic comes up frequently on the boards, and there are very good (and very long) threads full of answers. Do a search for "kipping pullups" and you should have plenty to go on.

In short, CrossFit is all about power, and kipping pullups are way more powerful than deadhangs. They allow you to do more work in less time, and develop better coordination, speed, and endurance than deadhangs. They are more functional, and they build better strength and flexibility in the shoulder girdle. Jumping pullups are really a different animal, and only serve as a substitute if you can't do many regular pullups. However, they are still great for metcon workouts, and that's why you do see them every once in a while.

That said, deadhangs do have some unique benefits, and you should do both. Don't abandon strict pullups just because kipping are more fun (they are). Weighted pullups are also great for developing pulling strength.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #3
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Re: kipping/jumping pull ups

Use the search engine and you will find more than enough answers, since this has been covered a gazillion times already.

Kipping distributes the load through the entire body, not just the back and arms. The same amount of work is done in less time, thus it is better for metcons. Jumping pull-ups are also done with your muscles alone, with a lot of distribution of the load to the more powerful leg muscles, and thus are good for metcon as well.

If you are doing strict pull-ups, then yes, kipping would be cheating. But the CF norm is kipping and a true kipping pull-up is a whole lot more efficient than a "cheating" strict pull-up.