CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-24-2007, 11:05 AM   #1
Michael Tong

Profile:
I have read that it is beneficial to take a probiotic like kimchee, and thus have a few questions:

1) Does anyone have a good Paleo-friendly recipe? All the recipes I've found include salt and sugar usually.

2) How much do I need on a daily basis? I am eating a fork-full of store-bought kimchee each morning for now, primarily to see if I notice any difference.

3) After only a few days of starting kimchee, I seem to be pooping less? Maybe it is just psychological. It makes sense to me since it is suppose to help you process more of the nutrients, however, is it suppose to work so quickly?
Old 01-24-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
Adam Levenson

Profile:
I can't comment on the salt, but the sugar is there to feed the bacteria not you.

(Message edited by Jiujitsurabbit on January 24, 2007)
Old 01-24-2007, 01:23 PM   #3
Florsie Amaral

Profile:
What is paleo ? :dunno:
Old 01-24-2007, 01:34 PM   #4
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Here's a start:

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/

Old 01-24-2007, 01:37 PM   #5
Florsie Amaral

Profile:
Thanks....Steve
Old 01-24-2007, 03:43 PM   #6
Yael Grauer

Profile:
I'll post my recipe this evening when I find it. :-)

I use salt because it inhibits putrefying bacteria long enough for the lactic acid to be produced, which will preserve the veggies. You can use whey instead of salt, but it's not paleo.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:30 PM   #7
Garrett Smith

Profile:
From what I've read across the internet, the kimchee of today is way different from the olden-day stuff.

Supposedly the olden-day stuff was basically cultured Napa cabbage. The stuff nowadays is full of things like salt, sugar, and chili powder (none of which I recommend). I personally don't add salt, if any, to my cultured veggies until after they're cultured. Salt is there to inhibit bacterial growth, the opposite of what I'm after with my cultured veggies. I want lots of good bacteria.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:52 PM   #8
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
Salt also has the effect of preserving a certain amount of crispiness in the cabbage.

Technically traditional kimchi did not use cabbage at all, since cabbage was introduced to Asia in the 19th century. There's alot of references to raddish kimchi and kimchi using myriad other vegetables, but yes, traditional kimchi was less seasoned. The portugese brought peppers to Korea.

As far as making kimchi goes, I have read that the optimum temperature for fermenting both milk and vegetables is around 70 farenheit. At to high a temperature I think the yeasts take over the bacteria and the product peutrefies. At to low a temp the veggies will just take too long to ferment. There of course is inummerable variables, but the consensus for making both kimchi, yogurt and kefir is that the best temp is around 70.

I was thinking about purchasing this yogurt maker:

www.amazon.com/Salton-YM9-1-Quart-Yogurt-Maker/dp/B00004SUHY

Work Safe.

...and using it for kefir and veggies. It keeps a constant temp and would make for a more consistent product.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:19 PM   #9
Skylar Cook

Profile:
Even though home-made recipies contain salt and sugar, I'd still pick those over store-bought products. Full of preservatives and other undesireables.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:42 PM   #10
Yael Grauer

Profile:
I don't want any *putrefying* bacteria in my fermented food until after there's enough lactic acid to preserve the veggies. That's why I use salt, or whey. Whey has tons of lactic acid and the bateria that produces lactic acid so it reduces the time you need for it to develop to preserve your food. You can eliminate salt if you're using whey (which incidentally you need for fruit to ferment--salt won't work.)