CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-30-2006, 07:02 AM   #1
Frank Menendez

Profile:
I am following the advice of many on here and removed the wheat from my diet (slowly but surely).

Should I remove those foods that come from corn as well? (i.e tortillas, corn cereals, etc.)

Thanks
Old 05-30-2006, 08:31 AM   #2
Scott Kustes

Profile:
If your goal is to remove wheat, then no. If your goal is to remove grains, as most here advise, then corn must go to.

I noticed a funny thing a week or so ago. I used to go for a slice of bread with PB, almond butter, or some other nut butter once or twice a week. Now I never even think about having grains....after so much time without them, my brains never says "bread/corn/oatmeal/any other grain is an option" when hungry.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:38 AM   #3
Frank Menendez

Profile:
So you just eat fruits and veggies eh? Not even potatoes?
Old 05-30-2006, 10:57 AM   #4
David Stegman

Profile:
I try to aviod corn as well. Although I'll partake in some chips and hot sauce on occasion! But I rarely do that.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:57 PM   #5
Scott Kustes

Profile:
If I do eat corn, it's tortilla chips with guac or salsa (my vice). And I have a beer or two now and then, so there's some grain in that. But for normal daily eating, it's "meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch, and no sugar." I've started adding sweet potatoes every day or two, which are pretty much my only starchy food, but I avoid white potatoes.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:41 AM   #6
Garrett Smith

Profile:
The only grain I eat is corn when I go to my favorite Mexican food place (Rosa's) here in town.

No grains in the daily/regular diet. Only as a cheat. Even then, I'll make the cheat grain corn or even rice, definitely not the gluten grains (wheat, oat, barley, rye).
Old 05-31-2006, 08:48 AM   #7
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
For those who avoid all grains, how many carbs and total calories do you eat per day?
Old 05-31-2006, 09:27 AM   #8
Paul Alvarez

Profile:
Location: Long Beach for school, Maui and San Jose are home  CA
Besides grains being nightshades, whats the benifit of cutting grains out entirely from ones diet?
Old 05-31-2006, 10:09 AM   #9
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Anthony,
I did the math today and realised that I actually have a pretty fair amount of calories coming in. Approximately 2600 calories a day on average. And about 1600 of those calories are from fat sources such as Avocados, and olive oil. To be honest those cals are mostly from avocados.

I avoid all grains like the plague. My carb sources are Apples, Oranges, Strawberries, Spinach (my fav), Cabbage, tomatoes, rarely ever touch starches, though I'm very fond of sweet potatoes. Oh and broccoli, I love steamed broccoli.

I'm fairly lean, I guess around 8% BF and 150lbs as of this morning. Been eating like this off and on whenever I wasn't tasked across the country or in the field, since December-January and fairly strictly since the end of March.

Old 05-31-2006, 10:23 AM   #10
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Paul,
Grains are not nightshades.

Grains--(not an exhaustive list) wheat, corn, rice, oats, etc.

Nightshades--tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, eggplant.

I'm going to make a rash generalization here about grains. I believe that grains cause inflammation in the body, as well as the accompanying water/fat gain. Anyone I ask who is trying to lose weight unsuccessfully always has grains in their diet.

Nightshades are associated with systemic and local inflammation. Anyone I talk to with arthritis is always eating one or several types of them (hard to escape without conscious avoidance).

Just wanted to give a quick clarification, search the board for much more in-depth answers...