CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-17-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
mike vinson

Profile:
3rd Bar Options

i just bought a rogue chrome bearing bar and don't really want to use it for anything over 5 reps. i know it'd probably take the beating but...man it's really pretty. i also have 2 Texas power bars. i love both of the them. one is my heavy SQ/BP/DL bar and the other ive been using for metcons. Like 30 snatches or 15 DL...for some reason i feel like im beating it up. and the knurl is pretty nasty on high reps. Which bar in the $250-$300 range would be a good for my needs? Castro, Froning, Chan, Ohio, Rogue, Beater, something else? thanks, mike
Old 12-17-2014, 01:41 PM   #2
Joey Allen

Profile:
Re: 3rd Bar Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vinson View Post
i just bought a rogue chrome bearing bar and don't really want to use it for anything over 5 reps. i know it'd probably take the beating but...man it's really pretty. i also have 2 Texas power bars. i love both of the them. one is my heavy SQ/BP/DL bar and the other ive been using for metcons. Like 30 snatches or 15 DL...for some reason i feel like im beating it up. and the knurl is pretty nasty on high reps. Which bar in the $250-$300 range would be a good for my needs? Castro, Froning, Chan, Ohio, Rogue, Beater, something else? thanks, mike
I'm in the same boat as you. I have a really nice American Barbell Oly bearing bar, a Rogue Ohio Power Bar, and my "multi-use/all-purpose" bar is the Rogue Castro bar. If you don't mind the maintenance of bare steel, it's absolutely a phenomenal bar for the money. Knurl is just right and no center knurl is nice for high rep stuff. If you prefer lower maintenance, the Ohio bar has the exact same build, and comes in a few different finishes to suit your particular wants/needs. The Rogue 2.0 sounds like a great bar too. Can't go wrong with any of those.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Rogue bar or Ohio. Bare steel but there is the issue of rust.

I really doubt you will care about the difference of bronze or composite bushings for a WOD bar.

Just mentioning Rogue bars since you mentioned other Rogue bars. Obviously there are some other bars that are actually cheaper but you said $250-300.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:59 PM   #4
Mike Hollister

Profile:

having used both, I prefer the bronze bushings on the rogue bars. More proven technology and, IMO, a smoother spin.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:40 PM   #5
Steven Thunander

Profile:

I would go with the Rogue Bar 2.0, or one of the Ohio variants (Ohio, operator, or the Castro bar, or the Chan bar if that is your forte) if a different coat is desired.

If you want bronze bushings, get the Ohio bar or one of its variants.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:39 AM   #6
mike vinson

Profile:

thanks for the responses. I guess a metcon bar (trademark) should probably NOT have a center knurl? So maybe im looking for a light knurl without the center knurl. i have a friend that has the Ohio bar. it looks kinda weird green and fading but i guess that doesnt matter it feels pretty good. i should probably just go to some boxes and look at few.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:33 PM   #7
Tim Robinson

Profile:

I just received my Again Faster Evolution bar (20kg) the other day

The good:
209k psi!
true 28mm
160 bucks + shipping (around 28 for me)
knurling is well-suited to hi-rep work

The bad:
Obviously not going to have the fit and finish of an Eleiko or other "premium" bar -- knurling lacks the sharp fade-in and fade-out of a more expensive piece
Spin is average for a bushing bar (admittedly mine is not broken in yet)
Zinc and not hard chrome
Long-term durability not known at this point
One-year warranty

Summation: an EXTREMELY strong and basic 28mm bar that should be able to take a lot of abuse, all at the price of a beater bar. That's what I was wanting, that's what I received and -- barring (ha ha) anyone unforeseen circumstances -- I would buy one again without hesitation. A bargain at the price, IMO.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:02 PM   #8
Jason A Smith

Profile:

I own one bar. A Pendlay bearing bar which I use for all my training. I would not hesitate to use the Rogue Oly bar for this purpose either.

If I was to have three bars I would have a weightlifting bar, power bar and a multi purpose bar.

I would be getting a 28mm bar and trying to stay away from zinc. If you have it for a long time the zinc really fades.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:27 PM   #9
Dwight Stone

Profile:

Yeah it sounds like you're short an Oly bar.

But at this point, what are you going to get from another straight bar? I'd be looking at specialty bars by now if I had three straight bars.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:45 PM   #10
John Burgeson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Stone View Post
Yeah it sounds like you're short an Oly bar.

But at this point, what are you going to get from another straight bar? I'd be looking at specialty bars by now if I had three straight bars.
That's right, gotta get that Swiss bar