CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #1
Brian Smith brianisrighthere

Profile:
Motivation - On My Own Now?

So yesterday, I made the decision to take a break from going to the CrossFit affiliate I have been part of for over two years. I have been putting off making that decision for some time now. The reason really comes down to finding balance in my life. For the past few months, every night I've thought to myself, "If I just had one more hour in the day..." while constantly struggling to find time to get routine tasks done each day. And I realized that the time I spend commuting to and from the affiliate was an hour that I could get back.

But I am not done with fitness/CrossFit by any means. I love the way I feel, I enjoy lifting heavy things, and I think fitness is an integral part of life. But I've never had a home gym, nor was I ever motivated to work out on my own before finding a good community at an affiliate.

So, in the constant struggle of fitting more into each day, how do you guys find motivation to go lift? Especially when on your own. I'm planning to set a practice in my life that on certain days at certain times I do a WOD. But any tips on getting over the feeling that, "eh, I've got more important things to do than work out", would be great.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
Adam Shreim

Profile:
Re: Motivation - On My Own Now?

Well, it should already be a habit for you, now. When you set aside to go do your workout, just commit to the process. For a while, in order to get myself out to my garage - I would come home, change clothes and within the hour I would be out in the garage. No waiting around, no naps, no TV, no big distractions. That time was dedicated to digesting pre-workout nutrition (2:1 ratio of carbsrotein, usually), looking up my workout, extra hydration and prepping everything.

Sometimes, you will have more important things to do. Or you may be extra sore. Or you just won't "be feeling it." I have experienced all of these. Some days you just go anyway. Other days, you just let it be. I have learned that on those days I am not feeling it, I would rather just call it a day vs. waste 2.5-3 hours because my body doesn't feel right doing the program.

Since you are doing this for health and fitness, and not as a competitive athlete who needs to live and breathe training... feel it out on those iffy days.

I like my garage gym. You would be surprised what you can accomplish with a bare-bones setup. Something like a 53# KB, Jump Rope, 3-sided box, 20# Wall Ball, Pull-up bar (you can hang rings from it), Barbell with 45, 25, 15 and 10# bumpers has a lot of variety.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #3
Clint Harris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Smith brianisrighthere View Post
So yesterday, I made the decision to take a break from going to the CrossFit affiliate I have been part of for over two years. I have been putting off making that decision for some time now. The reason really comes down to finding balance in my life. For the past few months, every night I've thought to myself, "If I just had one more hour in the day..." while constantly struggling to find time to get routine tasks done each day. And I realized that the time I spend commuting to and from the affiliate was an hour that I could get back.
So when do you start your new program ? yesterday, today or tomorrow.
How far of a commute is it ? Perhaps a new, closer gym could be in order. Or maybe change your commute or work hours. Maybe work an hour later or earlier to skirt traffic. Go straight from work to gym etc.
To me, this hour thing sounds like an excuse and/or simply lack of motivation in itself. Changing a gym can often change it up for you too - inject a new lease of life if you can't manifest it for yourself.

Quote:
But I am not done with fitness/CrossFit by any means. I love the way I feel, I enjoy lifting heavy things, and I think fitness is an integral part of life. But I've never had a home gym, nor was I ever motivated to work out on my own before finding a good community at an affiliate.
Good, it's important to you. Do you have a gym/equipment setup and a program to follow ? If not, you may find it tough to do any of this. Especially if you didn't start yesterday already. I setup my gym so I could do some basic strength training and a few metcons. Then I switched to home. If I had nothing setup at home prior, man, that would have sucked.

Quote:
So, in the constant struggle of fitting more into each day, how do you guys find motivation to go lift?
Does not compute. In soviet Russia, guys don't find motivation to lift; motivation finds them. i.e. My lame way of saying I want to do this, I enjoy it and so finding the motivation is the least of my worries. Sometimes life gets in the way, sure, but those days I miss simply increases my want to get back under the bar. It mysteriously out ranks my want to stay in bed. That stay in bed feeling is stronger than going to work however, but somehow I manage that also. I have no motivation or want to do the dishes either, sometimes they pile up .... but the next day they get done.
Thank god I'm not a solo parent. Those lot are impressive what they get through. Some of them lift, work and go to school. In addition to doing chores and looking after children. Are you a solo parent ?
Also, anytime I wonder where I can get some extra time in the day kind of makes me re-evaluate why the **** I am posting on the internet or watching TV.

Quote:
Especially when on your own.
It's so awesome .... don't have to share a barbell and listen to this stuff ... "how much are you going to lift" .... "What shall we start with" ... "how many sets is it ?"
Metcons can get a little lonely sometimes. #grownuppants
Just invite some of your old gym buddies over for a Saturday or Sunday throw down.

Quote:
I'm planning to set a practice in my life that on certain days at certain times I do a WOD.
Sounds like a terrible idea. Have some flexibility to do this when you want. Don't turn it into a chore. If you get home and the dishes have piled up. Do the dishes then go lift. Sometimes, when I know I have a meeting in the afternoon, I do something in the morning (or vice versa if you workout in the am). Sometimes, I may have to do my lift and my metcon separately. The point is, it's flexible enough that I still enjoy it and can roll with the punches. There are days where I have to do this **** at 9pm .... but I prioritize the lift so only do that.

Quote:
But any tips on getting over the feeling that, "eh, I've got more important things to do than work out", would be great.
I thought this was important to you.

At the end of the day, we simply have to put our grown up pants on and giterdun.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #4
Jason Rahm

Profile:

I made the switch from Affiliate to garage gym in March of this year. At first it was definitely a struggle to really push myself as hard working out along. I have the same routine as Brian, I go home, change clothes, and am in the gym within 30 minutes of getting home. It is definitely more convenient to not have to factor in the drive time to and from the gym.

What has kept me motivated is remaining consistency. Really forcing myself to remain consistent for the first month was really hard but cemented my new routine. Also, if you aren't programming for yourself definitely find a good program. If you have a program that you like, it'll make the decision to go train easier.

When I first started in my garage I was definitely missing training with other people for the first several weeks. Now I really enjoy training along. It gives you the freedom to spend more time working on your goats and really spend extra time on movements you need to practice.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:34 PM   #5
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

I just left my affiliate at the start of this month so that I could start doing my own programming and put to use the pretty darned little garage gym that I have put together over the last few years.

It's still early, but honestly I don't think I will ever have an issue motivating myself to head out into the garage to work out. Why? It's fun. I love it. I love getting out there where it's just me and my gear and whatever the challenge is for the day. It's not work. It's not "oh, something that I have to go do when I'd rather be doing something else." It's a blast, even by myself.

So...that would be my advice to you. Make it fun. Make it something you can't wait to get out there and do again. If it can't be that for you, you may not be doing it for much longer.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 09-05-2014, 10:04 PM   #6
Steven Thunander

Profile:

1. You are going to want to set up a good home gym setup over time. A rack, 230+ lbs of bumpers, some iron weights (45's, 25's, 10's, 5's and 2.5's) a bar, a platform (or stall mats), rings, a wall ball, a box jump, and a KB are all you need to do 80%+ of wods posted on most affiliates sites. If you want to get more sophisticated, add in more bumpers, another bar, a slamball, various KB's, a c2 rower, dumbbells, and other items.

2. There is nothing wrong with dropping in to an affiliate on a weekly basis to maintain that aspect of your training. Ask your coaches if you can get a punch card or frequent visitor discount. Having an affiliate you follow and go to occasionally gives you programming to follow in your garage. It also gives you something to compare yourself to on a weekly basis. And it gives you coaching.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:24 AM   #7
William Garrett

Profile:

Its always fun finding that balance between your personal life, and what drives you internally, and externally.

I have always told myself despite what is thrown at you in life, you will find a way to get it done (if) it's truly that important to you. Lets face it it...if your making excuses chances are its not that important to you. So you have to ask yourself is that what you really want?

I have had the luxury of training in some ****ty environments, and deployed locations, sub-par equipment, and long hours.Training on the road or at home is equally challenging either way. I always find a way to get it done though. I'm just as motivated to step up and crush something 6000 miles away in the middle of nowhere with a busted, and bent bar as I am 5 miles from my doorstep with shiny new Rogue gear. Its a mindset, and not much matters after that.

Go have fun, realize that not everything is perfect, make it work for you. Lastly, whatever you do please HAVE A PLAN then STICK TO IT.
M/35/5'10@190lbs/L1 -- Squat 420, FS 325, DL 520, Press 215, Bench 315, 5k Row 19:30
Old 09-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #8
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Not sure what I would tell you. Been training at home for the better part of 5 years. Short stint at an affiliate but I have to say i much prefer the convenience of being at home.

Best thing is to find something you like doing and stick with it.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:41 PM   #9
Brian Smith brianisrighthere

Profile:

Thanks for all the responses. I really am looking forward to it. Right now, I have about 30-45 minutes a day I can put to training. I'm thinking that will be perfect for an at home, when it's convenient session. Clint, you're a real ball buster, and that's just what I needed. Until I can scrounge up a decent used set of equipment (hopefully over the next couple of weeks), I have a good bodyweight session I will continue doing. I am also really looking forward to lifting alone and having some solitude. I'll update when I get my equipment and start hitting garage PR's.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
Shane Atkinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
Not sure what I would tell you. Been training at home for the better part of 5 years. Short stint at an affiliate but I have to say i much prefer the convenience of being at home.

Best thing is to find something you like doing and stick with it.
This is exactly how I feel here. I am still interested in dropping in and paying for an Oly class here and there because that is my weakness.

Jason, do you do your own programming also or do you follow a specific site?