CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-24-2014, 11:35 PM   #281
Mario Beltran

Profile:
Re: Have we all seen this yet?

I have seen both matches and I thought they were cool. I didn't think it was confusing at all, but there were a few things that I thought they will have to change.

- challenge flag? really? with Tony Budding discussing every call with the judge and both coaches?
- explain the rules to the competitors. the Phoenix team was running around like they didn't know what to do.

I'm not sure if this thing is going to take off. seems like not even the local Crossfitters were interested. both arenas were empty. the broadcast was pretty nice I thought though.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:40 AM   #282
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

Seems that the coaching could be better. More subs.. watched the match yesterday.. I love crossfit and I love the idea of Grid.. its just needs some tweaks.. those huge venues make the people who go look sparse.

Seems like you have to do snatch 165's to finish out the race instead of clean and jerks.. you have two people.. do the biggest set of fast reps and then hand it off to the next guy and run and tag for the fresh person to come in... find myself yelling at the computer screen.

I could see a 1,000 to 2,000 capacity venue, do the 11 races but have some other things like one on one... to take the speed out of it and let us become involved and invested in at least someone.

I think that it has high possibilities.. you have 2 million x fitters and growing.. plus 10 million who do x fit..
Old 08-26-2014, 04:32 AM   #283
Desmond Pegrum

Profile:

Some of the coaching decisions have been flabbergasting

E.g. the event which ends with 40 ground to overhead. Whenever someone does clean and jerks instead of Snatches, get lose so much ground. Only put in athletes who can snatch that weight !

The empty stadiums are disappointing. But i guess when it starts showing on TV, more people will know about it and may pop along

I still can't see how the general non crossfitting public would want to watch

There are a lot of people involved , i hope everyone is getting paid
Old 08-26-2014, 05:50 AM   #284
Martin Rivera

Profile:

The sport of fitness is not "NEW", the Grid format is "NEW" and that's what gets some people to raise an eye brow or two, the matches are exciting, easy to follow, to see some big names in this league is pretty cool too. The league will grow and make a name for itself, the teams and the athletes. There is already two more teams been added to the league, Carolina Crush and Baltimore, everyone is getting pay, from the build crew, the referees and the people moving weights.

For anyone interested, here is an amateur league trying to start.
http://www.sofitleague.com/index.php (WFS)
<>< Philippians 4:13 thecubefitness.com (WFS) dsgear.com (WFS) virusintl.com (WFS)
Old 08-26-2014, 07:10 AM   #285
Mario Beltran

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Rivera View Post
There is already two more teams been added to the league, Carolina Crush and Baltimore, everyone is getting pay, from the build crew, the referees and the people moving weights.
How are they paid?
Old 08-26-2014, 07:18 AM   #286
David Allen Rogers

Profile:

I'm really curious about who is funding all of this. Renting out all of these 10,000+ seat venues has to be ridiculously expensive and they obviously aren't making the money back in ticket sales.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:26 PM   #287
Desmond Pegrum

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Rivera View Post
The sport of fitness is not "NEW", the Grid format is "NEW" and that's what gets some people to raise an eye brow or two, the matches are exciting, easy to follow, to see some big names in this league is pretty cool too. The league will grow and make a name for itself, the teams and the athletes. There is already two more teams been added to the league, Carolina Crush and Baltimore, everyone is getting pay, from the build crew, the referees and the people moving weights.

For anyone interested, here is an amateur league trying to start.
http://www.sofitleague.com/index.php (WFS)
Martin, you obviously seem to have some insider knowledge which is cool. Can you give us more details on the financial model of GRID ?

I think it's safe to say, whilst many of us give constructive criticism about what we have seen of GRID, we all want it to be successful because it is good for everyone involved in functional fitness regardless of brand
Old 08-26-2014, 03:04 PM   #288
Desmond Pegrum

Profile:

My feedback for today is i hope the workouts are changed for week 2. I am already getting a bit bored seeing the same workouts. Whilst it's cool for teams and coaches to have practice time for workouts , i still think the unknown being prepared for anything element should be used (say give teams 1 hour notice)

Now back to financials

GRID has a huge first to market advantage in that the athlete salary cost is not going to be too high relative to other pro sports. The athletes at this point in time don't even need to choose between Crossfit and GRID as they can currently compete in both. So most will be happy to be paid a reasonable wage to compete in GRID. I play pool (billiards) and i remember when someone created the IPT pool league and had to pay mega bucks to lure the stars from Snooker, English Pool and American pool. Goes without saying they went bust fairly soon.

I think many of the other top crossfit athletes are playing a 'wait and see'. If GRID takes off, they will jump on board. Athletes like Dan Bailey, Scott Panchik, Julie Foucher, Camille, Sam Briggs etc etc maybe even Rich

Crossfit i think are also playing the wait and see game.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:25 PM   #289
Jason Rahm

Profile:

I've watched both matches and Grid is missing what I think it the most entertaining aspect of CrossFit style competitions. In GRID we aren't going to see things like Cody Anderson struggling to get the #310 clean for a PR then jump onto the finish platform to a roaring crowd. The grit of Talayna Fortunato basically doing an OH Pistol because her leg was hurt won't be a part of Grid. What makes watching CrossFit competitions entertaining to watch isn't necessarily watching the first place finisher fly through the workout with such command of the movements that they look like child's play. In my opinion the greatest part of CrossFit competitions, be it local or Games level, is watching someone who is struggling being pushed to new heights by the crowd.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:54 PM   #290
Martin Rivera

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Beltran View Post
How are they paid?
By the NPGL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Pegrum View Post
Can you give us more details on the financial model of GRID ?
Sorry, I don't have details of the Grid financials.
<>< Philippians 4:13 thecubefitness.com (WFS) dsgear.com (WFS) virusintl.com (WFS)