CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
Brian Lelli

Profile:
Constantly Complaining Member

So I have a member who is making great progress; but does a good bit of complaining about how things hurt.

Now, to be fair; it's their first real experience with "working out". So I have scaled everything back since day one and worked on the foundational movements "like whoa" with them.

But it seems that their movement patterns are a mess; and have been since day one (of birth perhaps). You name it, it's there:

Train Wreck Squat
Wrist Pain when holding a barbell (in almost any position)
Winching when doing any movement

Back to my first statement; their progress has been good from the first day till lately. And I always ask "are you SURE you are ok to do this WOD as we have it scaled today?" And it's always a yes (or "um, yeah...i'll get through it.")

At this point, the only two options I can think of are:

1. Every time they come in, run them through basic foundational movements regardless of what the WOD is. Which can be a bit of a pain since it's only me as the trainer 90% of the time.

2. Drop them entirely. I really don't want to do this as I truly enjoy helping people. However, I don't want to get to the point that they hurt them-self or my attention on them puts someone else in danger.

Has anyone had to deal with something like this? If so, are there any other options I'm not seeing here?
Old 06-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
Kenny Markwardt

Profile:
Re: Constantly Complaining Member

I think it all comes down to attitude. Unfortunatley people don't fix problems overnight. It's your job to keep them safe and make sure that if they move like a newborn horse, they aren't allowed to do any significant loading.

If they are constantly complaining and have a bad attitude, pull them aside and tell them so. I tell everyone that walks in the door that as long as they have a good attitude, I will get them through whatever is scheduled for the day. I can't want it for them, and if they are going to treat me like a babysitter to make sure they do everything, they should probably find another gym.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
Brian Lelli

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Markwardt View Post
I think it all comes down to attitude. Unfortunatley people don't fix problems overnight. It's your job to keep them safe and make sure that if they move like a newborn horse, they aren't allowed to do any significant loading.

If they are constantly complaining and have a bad attitude, pull them aside and tell them so. I tell everyone that walks in the door that as long as they have a good attitude, I will get them through whatever is scheduled for the day. I can't want it for them, and if they are going to treat me like a babysitter to make sure they do everything, they should probably find another gym.
That sounds about right from what I've sorta decided to do. They pay me to coach them, so if the WOD can't be scaled for them I have put together a handful of 'Baby WODs' for them to do while the others do the real WOD.

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2013, 01:36 AM   #4
Chris Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lelli View Post
That sounds about right from what I've sorta decided to do. They pay me to coach them, so if the WOD can't be scaled for them I have put together a handful of 'Baby WODs' for them to do while the others do the real WOD.

Thanks!
seems about right. Problem is, some people let their ego or pride get them in trouble or hurt. I still blow at OHS, my mobility sucks and i know that. So when we first started doing them my coach felt like i needed to stick with PVC for the workout, but i could tell he didnt really want to straight out tell me my form blew and he wanted me to stick with PVC. So i just said, its cool ill stick with the pipe until my shoulders/midline can handle more.

I dont have a problem with ego, unless its something i KNOW i should be better at. If im having a bad/sore day and have to go down in weight or scale something it bothers me, but i dont show out about it haha. Not all people are that easy to deal with though.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:21 AM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Have them wrap their wrists. Do like a voodoo band wrap but don't wrap it so tight. Cheapo wraps that work really well.

How old are they? They sound stiff and weak.

My friend tends to cut intensity and volume for his L1/2 (out of 4 levels) athletes. So scaled loads and like 50% of the volume.

IMO, they are just like the 5 and 6yo beginning gymnasts I've coached. They are noobish and weak. I've seen the same thing in adult classes. You have got to deal with the fragileness, especially if they are old and stiff and weak.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Greg Light

Profile:

One positive is that if this member sticks with you, you will probably make an insanely positive impact on their life as a whole. In my experience, people like your member are usually pretty similar in every aspect of their life.

Helping them to suck it up and work through something that sounds very difficult for them will likely help them in countless other aspects of their life.

Hopefully others will see the positive change you had on them and find out what was the catalyst.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
Brian Lelli

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Light View Post
One positive is that if this member sticks with you, you will probably make an insanely positive impact on their life as a whole. In my experience, people like your member are usually pretty similar in every aspect of their life.

Helping them to suck it up and work through something that sounds very difficult for them will likely help them in countless other aspects of their life.

Hopefully others will see the positive change you had on them and find out what was the catalyst.
^^^^This is my main reason for sticking to it with them.