CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
Michael Mantione

Profile:
Rogue Ohio Bar?

Can anyone say anything about it? I haven't had a chance to use one yet?

I know they are offered in different coatings
Old 05-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Matt Bell

Profile:
Re: Rogue Ohio Bar?

There's a thread about it a few pages back... http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=81143 (WFS)
Old 05-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
Rick H Larson

Profile:

I just received the black on black zinc version of the bar. It's a beautiful and well made bar. Unfortunately I'm recovering from some lower back issues so it hasn't been tested out. Here are some initial thoughts on the bar from just handling it:

-Knurling is pretty close to the standard Rogue Bar but in my opinion feels amazing. When they talk about the feel being just right I have to agree. Everyone that's gripped the bar has been really impressed and right away talk about how comfortable it is.

-The sleeves have a really nice smooth spin. Just flicking it with your hand will give you about two or three rotations before it stops. The sleeve assembly feels very solid and there is no movement in them aside from the spin.

-As said before, the bar looks amazing. The bar was delivered to a local affiliate (the owner threw it in with his order to get me free shipping) and everyone there was drooling over it. I know the aesthetics doesn't serve any real function but hey, I enjoy it.

I really can't comment on the whip, bend, or overall performance until I get some solid lifts in. I should be back at it on Monday and can provide updates as the bar gets broken in.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
Jason A Smith

Profile:

There is a very gently used one sitting in my garage. A guy at our local affiliate has one and brought it over. I have not lifted with it. The knurl is much more aggressive than my 2010ish Rogue bar, other than that it looks good. Maybe i will do some cleans with it and get back to you.

For what it's worth I really prefer the Pendlay HD bar. Just a preference thing. Everyone is different.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
Jim Jingozian

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
For what it's worth I really prefer the Pendlay HD bar. Just a preference thing. Everyone is different.
By preference, do you mean in the zinc vs. oxide finish, knurling, or build quality?

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
Jason A Smith

Profile:

I have a Rogue bar, the affiliate I have trained at has Pendlay bars. I prefer the knurling and feel of the Pendlay Bar (nothing in particular but I just like to lift on it better). The finish on the Rogue bar will wear off over time. Mine is going on 3 years old. It looks well worn because it is. I just use it all the time. I don't spend time cleaning it etc as it is MY bar. Has lots of chalk etc.

At some point i will buy myself a really nice Olympic lifting bar - Pendlay bearing, DHS, Elieko, Werksan but for now if I were to pick another in the $300ish price range it would be the Pendlay HD no questions asked.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
Joey Allen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
I have a Rogue bar, the affiliate I have trained at has Pendlay bars. I prefer the knurling and feel of the Pendlay Bar (nothing in particular but I just like to lift on it better). The finish on the Rogue bar will wear off over time. Mine is going on 3 years old. It looks well worn because it is. I just use it all the time. I don't spend time cleaning it etc as it is MY bar. Has lots of chalk etc.

At some point i will buy myself a really nice Olympic lifting bar - Pendlay bearing, DHS, Elieko, Werksan but for now if I were to pick another in the $300ish price range it would be the Pendlay HD no questions asked.
But that blacked out Rogue Ohio bar just looks so sweet. I need a second bar and am deciding b/w the Ohio black oxide version or the Pendlay HD bushing.. tough decision..