CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
Michael Ryan James

Profile:
Optimum nutrition...

I'm just getting to the point of where I am taking protein after completing my WOD. After being a lifelong cheapskate, it's hard to spend the big bucks on yet another thing I need.

I've been using what I call "wal-mart" protein. Whatever is cheapest and easiest. It's super gross. I'm thinking of going to Optimum Nutrtion's Gold Standard 100% whey double chocolate...I think that is it's complete name. Does anyone have any comments on thoughts on this particular brand/flavor? i'll be taking it with water (to limit calories) or with skim milk, and just occasionally with some peanut butter to make a shake...it's 53$ dollars for a big 5 pound tub and I'd like to know as much as i can before i purchase. I've read tons of reviews online and this particular product seems to get the most favorable reviews. thanks in advance for your help.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
Ron Thurston

Profile:
Re: Optimum nutrition...

My wife and I have been using ON's Whey Protein for quite some time now. I have tried the Delicious Strawberry, Double Chocolate, Coffee, Tropical Punch or Tropical Fruit) and Extreme Milk Chocolate.

I prefer the Extreme Milk Chocolate to mix with milk (almond or whole, whatever floats your boat). All their flavors are pretty good. Some mix better with water than others.

Right now I'm using the Tropical Punch as I also use the Tropical Punch BCAA's. As far as post workout shakes go, 3 scoops of Extreme Milk Chocolate protein, 2 cups of milk, a banana and 2 tablespoons of Almond or Peanut butter is delicious!

Please note that I don't metcon anymore, I only do strength training and oly so that shake might a little too high in calorie count if you're looking to cut weight.

I am also debating buying their Cake Batter flavor to get the wife away from this joke of a product called Visalus.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ryan James View Post
After being a lifelong cheapskate, it's hard to spend the big bucks on yet another thing I need.
You don't need protein supplements. Any reasonably varied diet that supplies sufficient calories will provide all the protein you need, so in most cases all these supplements do is provide additional calories. A tub of creatine monohydrate would a better investment if money is tight then you could spend the money you saved by not buying the protein supplements on real food.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
Jesse Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
You don't need protein supplements. Any reasonably varied diet that supplies sufficient calories will provide all the protein you need, so in most cases all these supplements do is provide additional calories. A tub of creatine monohydrate would a better investment if money is tight then you could spend the money you saved by not buying the protein supplements on real food.
After years and years of taking protein (ON too), I agree with this. Food will provide enough protein and gram for gram is much cheaper then getting in in powder form.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
or, if on a budget, you can save money on food by buying protein powder. and why couldn't protein powder be part of a "reasonably varied diet that supplies sufficient calories"?
Old 09-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Martin View Post
After years and years of taking protein (ON too), I agree with this. Food will provide enough protein and gram for gram is much cheaper then getting in in powder form.
not always so. very often protein powder is much cheaper gram for gram of protein. you can get a quality whey protein that will provide 25-30 grams of protein for 50 cents or less.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ryan James View Post
I'm just getting to the point of where I am taking protein after completing my WOD. After being a lifelong cheapskate, it's hard to spend the big bucks on yet another thing I need.

I've been using what I call "wal-mart" protein. Whatever is cheapest and easiest. It's super gross. I'm thinking of going to Optimum Nutrtion's Gold Standard 100% whey double chocolate...I think that is it's complete name. Does anyone have any comments on thoughts on this particular brand/flavor? i'll be taking it with water (to limit calories) or with skim milk, and just occasionally with some peanut butter to make a shake...it's 53$ dollars for a big 5 pound tub and I'd like to know as much as i can before i purchase. I've read tons of reviews online and this particular product seems to get the most favorable reviews. thanks in advance for your help.
not sure why you would consider this "big bucks" when it will be pretty cheap per serving. it may seem expensive because you have to buy it all at once, but if you only take it after WOD, or even once or twice a day, then it will last a while. most protein powder is as cheap or cheaper than an equal amount of protein from meat.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
Beau Davis

Profile:

I agree with the other posters that whole food protein sources are superior to protein powders, but alas, I too use protein supplements for budget and convenience purposes. I've been using ON 100% Pure Gold Standard Whey for a while and while the chocolate flavors are ok, I like the banana cream flavor the best (if you can find it).
Old 09-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
or, if on a budget, you can save money on food by buying protein powder. and why couldn't protein powder be part of a "reasonably varied diet that supplies sufficient calories"?
Protein supplements can be part of a varied diet however real food provides addtional nutrients not provided by protein supplements. So, if money's tight, which suggests that your food budget is limited, you'll get more nutritional bang for your buck from whole foods than you ever will from supplements.

Last edited by Darryl Shaw : 09-21-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:04 AM   #10
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

I agree with the other posters that whole food protein sources are superior to protein powders.. But I've been using ON Pro Complex for convenience purposes, I don't feel up to eating or preparing real food after a WOD,
I'm just beat or lazy.

Last edited by Pete Nadeau : 09-22-2012 at 07:14 AM.