CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
Matt Cook

Profile:
Oly Lifting Inside of a Squat Rack?

Hey guys! this is my first post, and I'm not sure if its in the right place. Anyways, I am a college student who crossfits at my university gym. Today I was informed that they have a new policy requiring all olympic lifts to be performed inside of a squat rack. This is supposed to be in order to save space. The squat racks are usually taken and all but 1 are too small for my to be able to do anything overhead. I am planning on meeting with the gym manager next week to ask him if they could change this, but first I wanted to see if any more experience olympic lifters had any thoughts or wisdom on lifting inside of a squat rack.

So what should I say in order to explain why oly lifting only in a squat rack is an awful idea? It seems to me this makes oly lifts much more dangerous, does anyone have any experience or knowledge they can share on this issue?

Thanks a lot!
-Matt
Old 08-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
Justin McGinley

Profile:
Re: Oly Lifting Inside of a Squat Rack?

A few things.

1) the Olympic lifts are the "Snatch" and the "Clean & Jerk"

2) it is likely that your gym is asking you to squat and press inside the squat rack. Many people call other lifts (squats, deadlifts, etc) "Olympic lifts" when they aren't actually Olympic lifts. (it is possible that they do know what the Oly lifts are, and that you have to do them inside a rack, which leads to point 3)

3) It is TERRIBLY unsafe to Snatch and Clean & Jerk inside a squat rack. Seriously. You have zero room for error.

4) it is likely that you can do presses and Push Presses right in front of the rack. Ask for forgiveness, not permission.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Clint Harris

Profile:

That sounds dangerous to me. Asides from the fact that I can't even press inside most power-racks - what happens when and if we dump the bar and fall on our arse when snatching ? If we go straight down and throw the bar forwards ... then that barbell is going to stay in the cage and potentially crush you. Maybe I'm wrong ... but that's what I'd imagine to happen. Too much could go wrong. What happens if we have to walk the weight as we stand ? There's no where to go.
I'd also dislike to potential of landing my tail bone on a steel crossbar too .. the one along the ground.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
Matt Cook

Profile:

Thank you both for the responses. These are very good thoughts, and I am glad I was not crazy to think this was dangerous.

Justin- you're right the gym staff probably has no idea what olympic lifts are, I supplied that term. The actual "rule" is that no one can take a bar out of the squat rack. "Ask for forgiveness, not permission" I love it!

Clint- I completely agree, there's something very unsettling about trying to perform a clean and jerk while surrounded on all sides by metal bars
Old 08-22-2012, 06:42 AM   #5
Dave Hancock

Profile:

I have two brothers that graduated from MU. Neither lifts.

Do you workout in the Pump Room : wfs http://www.mizzourec.com/facilities/pump_room/

The description says "Platform weightlifting". This implies to me that they have bumper plates and a lifting platform designed for olympic lifts.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
"Ask for forgiveness, not permission"
This works well for a lot of things. Obviously there are boundaries. Sometimes they can be broken and just need a nudge.

This quote armed with shots of tequila or vodka is dangerous but fun...especially at parties or clubs...heheh.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
Matt Cook

Profile:

Dave- I workout all over the gym, as most things I need are spread out. The platform was removed a few weeks ago, at the same time they enacted the new rule. It seems to me they have hundreds of dollars worth of bumper plates that are nearly worthless. Makes no sense.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:30 AM   #8
Michael Wuest

Profile:

Hey Matt,

Come check out CrossFit COMO http://www.crossfitcomo.com We're close to Mizzou!

-Mike