CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-28-2004, 01:36 PM   #1
Scott Parker

Profile:
just wanted to make some comments and ask a few diet related questions and see what everyone thought.

i've been folowing this program and a paleo-style diet for about a 18 months now, and the results have been nothing short of amazing.

when i started i was following a very strict (to the letter) paleo diet and quickly began losing bodyfat and gaining muscle. the only problem i was experiencing was a dramatic increase to my already enormous appetite, probably mostly due to the increased workload i was putting my body through.

throught this entire time i have been "tinkering" (thanks to mr. wolf!) and experimenting with different foods and this is how i have been eating lately:

1 gram of protein per pound of total bodyweight spaced over 5 or 6 meals throught the day.

each meal i have an assortment of veggies (any combination of brocolli, kale, spinach, collards, chard, red & yellow peppers, squash) with either half an organic yam or sweet potato. if i don't have the sweet potato i will have a slice of some sort of wheat-free, whole grain bread (usually a spelt/rye bread).

if i am at school a meal usually consists of a whey protein shake with walnuts blended in, some raw veggies and/or a piece of fruit (usually a macintosh apple).

i know this diet is no longer paleo, but i have found that this combination has, for the most part alleviated the intense hunger and i don't get light'headed like i used to. i really think this mostly has to do with the addition of the yams, fruit and occasional bread (note that these have been added in small amounts).

although my activity level has decreased (school takes priority over the gym!) i still maintain my bodyweight floating between 170-174 lbs, and have an average of 8.0% bodyfat, and just set a PR of 24 pull-ups last week.

so here is my question: is there any negative effect of the addition of the faster-acting carbs (yams, bread, more fruit)? has enyone else experienced similar results findings?

i am curious because so many here speak of feeling light headed after eating those type of carbs, but for me it's just the opposite, as long as i don't go overboard. i have noticed that there is a very fine line between them being beneficial and making me feel like crap!

any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 02-29-2004, 04:45 AM   #2
F

Profile:

Scott,

I've arrived at nearly the same diet you're using. I've recently incorporated yams (to boost my daily intake) and had no issues. I focus on eating my higher GI foods first thing in the morning (post-overnight fast) or post-workout. My rationale is that I can get away with my bagel (1/day) or my yam (1-2 / day) when my body is hungry and ready to send that stuff straight into my muscles.

The only time I've noticed problems is when I go out for my weekly "anything-goes" supper (usually Mexican food)....my digestive system doesn't appreciate that workout ;D.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:58 AM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Scott-

Two or three years ago I could not tollerate any dense carbs sources like you mention. I had gotten down pretty lean from low carbing ( Protein Power Lifeplan/Lights Out). When i ratcheted up the intensity of my training ala crossfit and 12+ hrs/weeek of capoeira I not only tollerate but need these carbs but still at only about 75% of the zone recomendations.

I still only feel light headed if I go to heavy on the carbs. If I am a little short on carbs my legs feel heavy and I can tell i am not recovered.

In general one can never go wrong with lower GI/glycemic load feedings. it sounds like you have tinkered things to a sucsessful and most importantly, livable level.
Congrats!
Robb
Old 03-01-2004, 03:52 PM   #4
Scott Parker

Profile:
thanks robb! i wouldn't have gotten to this point without your help (and everyone else's here on the site).

one other thing i failed to mention in my previous post is that when i actually skip the additional carbs i rapidly lose weight, and this is with adequate fat, protein, and leafy greens.

thanks again!

scott